What's it worth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a list of 6 people in line wanting my old splitter. I got 2 more calls this morning. I explained to everyone that has called that due to the weather I'm letting the first that called to have the first chance to look at it. I have a list of everyone that called and I will let them look at it in the order that they called. I could have just taken the first that showed up with the cash, but I also want to be fare. I think the first guy that called will take it, He has called 3 times and I told him I would hold it till Saturday morning, If he is a no show. I'll start calling the next on the list.

I think he's the guy who just bought the County Line 40 toner a couple of weeks ago.Lots of comments on his asking price for his "for sale" splitter.It's a good deal for someone and he is operating ethically.PERIOD!

There never was a problem with his asking price.

I have a list of 6 people in line wanting my old splitter. I got 2 more calls this morning. I explained to everyone that has called that due to the weather I'm letting the first that called to have the first chance to look at it. I have a list of everyone that called and I will let them look at it in the order that they called. I could have just taken the first that showed up with the cash, but I also want to be fare. I think the first guy that called will take it, He has called 3 times and I told him I would hold it till Saturday morning, If he is a no show. I'll start calling the next on the list.

Wow, I've gotta say I would have took the first one with the money. lol

I put a hour meter on my new splitter to keep track of hours for better maintenance. It also has an RPM function. The motor can rev up to 3500 RPM but it splits everything I have put on it so far at just 2000 RPM. If it wont split, it will simply cut it's way through without even slowing down. If you looking for a new splitter, you need to at least look at the 40 ton from TS

No thought of a splitter with a 4-way or log lift?

Yes, I had thought about getting a higher production machine but it wasn't in the budget and my wood source doesn't really fit a high production machine. I don't get nice strait logs very much, and production machines tend to like strait logs. I have looked at some 4 way wedges but I've not seen any that save much work. All the ones I've seen in action appear to create more work in different ways.

As for a log lift, I'm thinking about making a crane type lift instead of a cradle lift.

Yes, I had thought about getting a higher production machine but it wasn't in the budget and my wood source doesn't really fit a high production machine. I don't get nice strait logs very much, and production machines tend to like strait logs. I have looked at some 4 way wedges but I've not seen any that save much work. All the ones I've seen in action appear to create more work in different ways.

As for a log lift, I'm thinking about making a crane type lift instead of a cradle lift.
I know you've made your decision and you're happy with it but I can personally attest that this machine will run circles around any single wedge hydraulic splitter.
https://www.woodsplitterdirect.com/p/iron-oak-horizontal-4-way-wedge-br021270/

I know you've made your decision and you're happy with it but I can personally attest that this machine will run circles around any single wedge hydraulic splitter.
https://www.woodsplitterdirect.com/p/iron-oak-horizontal-4-way-wedge-br021270/

I disagree. yes a 4 way wedge will make more splits per stroke. However because that unit is a push through type you have to catch pieces that need to be re split form dropping off the end, slid them over to be re split. That creates work in a different way. Show me a video where a fixed 4 way wedge doesn't create that situation. I watched many videos and the low end version (like shown) has a fixed wedge. Not good when you split different size rounds that are not uniform in size. Units that have hydrolicly adjustable wedges are way out of my price range.
I did look at these types of splitters but I'm not very impressed with there performance,, compared to there price range.

My new unit has a tall wedge that allows me to split a round then rotate the splits 90 degrees and re split both sides in the next stroke to end up with 4 equally split pieces.

I disagree. yes a 4 way wedge will make more splits per stroke. However because that unit is a push through type you have to catch pieces that need to be re split form dropping off the end, slid them over to be re split. That creates work in a different way. Show me a video where a fixed 4 way wedge doesn't create that situation. I watched many videos and the low end version (like shown) has a fixed wedge. Not good when you split different size rounds that are not uniform in size. Units that have hydrolicly adjustable wedges are way out of my price range.
I did look at these types of splitters but I'm not very impressed with there performance.

Agreed. Four way wedges aren't universally the best way to go. Varying round sizes, twisty grain wood, big knots...

Agreed. Four way wedges aren't universally the best way to go. Varying round sizes, twisty grain wood, big knots...

In my younger days I worked piece work in sheet metal shops. When you get paid by the piece, you quickly figure out the most efficient way of doing things. Every movement takes time and energy. I can usually spot things that can cause you to do more or less work, and I look for the most efficient way possible with what I have to work with. Log wood comes in many shapes and sizes and each machine seems to be better at one size or shape of material then another. The type of material you work with will dictate what machine will work best for that job. The material I work with ranges from 6'' to 60'' rounds, none are very strait and most has forks every few feet. I'm lucky if I get a log longer then 10 feet and most of those are massive trunks.

I like the push through type splitters that have adjustable multi wedges. But you need an efficient way of feeding them material and a convayer system to move and pile the splits as you feed the machine. That takes more equipment and is not in my budget at this point.

I did look at these types of splitters but I'm not very impressed with there performance,, compared to there price range.

My new unit has a tall wedge that allows me to split a round then rotate the splits 90 degrees and re split both sides in the next stroke to end up with 4 equally split pieces.
I have never split wood that is all the same size and rarely do I get wood that only needs to go through the 4 way once. My process goes like this: Do not split right down the center but keep the log close to your body and split off just a fraction of the larger log away from your body. The bottom outside piece will be small enough to not need resplitting in most cases. Use your left hand to keep the bigger pieces that come out the top of the wedge to prevent them from falling down to the ground. Once you hit the lever to return the ram, you use both hands to take one of the big pieces and place it on the ground by your feet. The remaining big piece you position on the splitter to run through the 4 way again. (this can all be done generally by the time the ram has fully returned. Then you just have to pick up the 1 piece you dropped by your feet and run through again. I have split close to 1500 cords with that machine and I can make pretty darn good time with it. If the round only needs to be split in 6 pieces, I can do it in 2 strokes of the machine without having to pick up and pieces to resplit. Does my method work with every log? Heck no but it works with many.
The wedge also just slips on and off so it takes seconds to take it on or off when you get knotty, twisted, or really big wood and I usually save a bunch of those to do at one time as I'm working through my pile of rounds.

I'm not trying to start a pissing contest here at all but I've seen tons and tons of videos of guys running all kinds of splitters and I think most of us in here can agree that we would work circles around many of those guys on those same machines.

I have never split wood that is all the same size and rarely do I get wood that only needs to go through the 4 way once. My process goes like this: Do not split right down the center but keep the log close to your body and split off just a fraction of the larger log away from your body. The bottom outside piece will be small enough to not need resplitting in most cases. Use your left hand to keep the bigger pieces that come out the top of the wedge to prevent them from falling down to the ground. Once you hit the lever to return the ram, you use both hands to take one of the big pieces and place it on the ground by your feet. The remaining big piece you position on the splitter to run through the 4 way again. (this can all be done generally by the time the ram has fully returned. Then you just have to pick up the 1 piece you dropped by your feet and run through again. I have split close to 1500 cords with that machine and I can make pretty darn good time with it. If the round only needs to be split in 6 pieces, I can do it in 2 strokes of the machine without having to pick up and pieces to resplit. Does my method work with every log? Heck no but it works with many.
The wedge also just slips on and off so it takes seconds to take it on or off when you get knotty, twisted, or really big wood and I usually save a bunch of those to do at one time as I'm working through my pile of rounds.

I'm not trying to start a pissing contest here at all but I've seen tons and tons of videos of guys running all kinds of splitters and I think most of us in here can agree that we would work circles around many of those guys on those same machines.

That's ok, everyone has there own opinion.
My splitter has a log rack that catches one side of the round and keeps it from falling to the ground. I simply let it lay on the rack while I finish up the piece closest to me. Then I simply slide the piece from the rack, strait back to me and work that piece, without having to bend over to pick up that piece off the ground. I only have to pick up a piece once. My old splitter didn't have a log rack, but I simply let wood pile up on the opposite side till it becomes like a log rack and I can grab them from the operator's side. The whole idea is to reduce the moves needed to work a round into splits. Everyone has there own way.
Having said that, I have never used that type of splitter so I'm only making a guess because of the videos I've seen. Post a link that shows your method, I would like to see.

20180125_173939.jpg 20180125_174008.jpg I bought a drop on 4 way to use when the rounds are in the right range diameter. I also welded on a little foot about 2" high at the bottom of the wedge to prop up smaller logs to be better centered on the four way. When the logs are 14" and under this wedge really shines. I will get a picture of the foot and add it later. See the video below.

https://video-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t43.1792-2/12391524_1534727573485259_1727344896_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjE1MDAsInJsYSI6MTAyNCwidmVuY29kZV90YWciOiJzdmVfaGQifQ==&rl=1500&vabr=466&oh=9e5e007a67318e2483eba49e4d71d2e3&oe=5A6A7CBE

I bought a drop on 4 way to use when the rounds are in the right range diameter. I also welded on a little foot about 2" high at the bottom of the wedge to prop up smaller logs to be better centered on the four way. When the logs are 14" and under this wedge really shines. I will get a picture of the foot and add it later. See the video below.

https://video-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t43.1792-2/12391524_1534727573485259_1727344896_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjE1MDAsInJsYSI6MTAyNCwidmVuY29kZV90YWciOiJzdmVfaGQifQ==&rl=1500&vabr=466&oh=9e5e007a67318e2483eba49e4d71d2e3&oe=5A6A7CBE
I'm not trying to be picky but, In the video it only shows one example, and in that example, the round that he split with the 4 way wasn't a clean 4 way split.
The two sides split apart, but the upper and lower pieces on both sides didn't split completely. He is going to have to re split both of those pieces. That doesn't save any time or work. I'm sure not all have to be re split and do split cleanly with the 4 way. But I have yet to see a small splitter with a 4 way be that much more efficient.
I'm not a fan of the push through type splitters ether. The pieces that need re split have to be dragged back to re position them for the next split. It just doesn't seem as efficient.

Back