What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing I might have is a really dirty Poulan Super 25DA. Nobody ever gives me anything clean to work on....The previous owner apparently didn't know the proper routing of the fuel line since he drilled a hole under the handle and ran the fuel line through it rather than by the flywheel and back. I'll fix that when I get it cleaned.

Flip, piston doesn't look too bad. I might take a scotch Brite to it and smooth off a couple spots though. Cylinder looks pretty good, should clean up just fine. Is that just some dirt specks around the intake port?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Flip, piston doesn't look too bad. I might take a scotch Brite to it and smooth off a couple spots though. Cylinder looks pretty good, should clean up just fine. Is that just some dirt specks around the intake port?

Yes, just a little gas/oil stain. Thanks guys for helping me. I went ahead and ordered the new parts I want to replace/complete the saw. My ring spacing was within spec at 0.61mm but I ordered a new one anyway. Also going with the fine nylon filter.

Mostly homeowner stuff on the bench right now. A Husky 41 with a burned up clutch, a husky 45 with stripped carb screws, and stihl MS170 with carb problems (stihl should be slapped for putting a non adjustable carb on a saw)
I also have my tree buddy's 346xp for some minor porting and muff mod.
Should be going to pickup my next Mac project from a member here later today hopefully.

Just added this one to the bench. McCulloch 1-50. Had a carb kit in stock, 1/2 hr work and she is singing her song.
46d205961ec2517967b62c9dd30aaf93.jpg
97186a4813f75e3ab81fb9f073d21cf2.jpg
46c765efdfa7e6e5449e3bf625ac6308.jpg
2e3929d14284a1fac4a8cf7107089771.jpg

While we're having a break in the cold weather I went out and cleaned up three saws that were given to me, a 330 Homelite, a Poulan 25DA and a Super 2 Homelite, probably see in a day or two which ones I can get running. I still have 4 or 5 dirty ones to clean up the next warm day. Supposed to be tomorrow but wife has plans.

Picked up a couple husky 61 basket cases, got one mint 48mm bore and a mystery 50mm bore with light scuffing that cleaned up well enough.
Ordered some farmertec pieces to get at least 1 running, but still missing all the covers.

20200201_113853.jpg

Also got 2x 32" stihl mount bars, one Oregon, one stihl brand both with chains. So I mounted the Oregon up to the husky 181/288

20200202_170314.jpg

Measured the compression on it and got 195psi cold. So no need for a pop-up? Starts easy even without the decomp, and revs up really nice.

Your tester sounds extra generous. Did you end up going back in after the initial build?
I was very surprised by the high number, took like 8 pulls to settle in, but I trust the gauge. Its been reliable and produces expected results in other saws.

I haven't been back into it yet, waiting for the new piston to show up first, then i'll weld the pop up and put that in to see what it does. Probably going to break the saw in as it is now by doing some small milling so i'll see.

Not on the bench because I need the room, but the only thing I have right now is a Shindaiwa brushcutter. Died suddenly in the cut.
I have diagnosed a bad carburetor and I am presently waiting for a TK rebuild kit (and a backup cheap Chinese TK clone ;)), so the brushcutter is parked in the boiler room, well out of the way.
It also has a cracked exhaust shield, a typical issue on these brushcutters, and that will be really funny to patch up, even funnier than the damn TK carburetor, which says it all. :rolleyes:
Lately I haven't rebuilt many carbs since the clones are getting better and are about the same price as the kits. Just figuring out what to do with the old carbs might be a problem..

Kind of a nice day today so I took my Purple Power and a hose and cleaned a few old saws up. Couple of 330 Homelites, a 360, couple of small XLs and a Super 2. I cleaned up three others yesterday so they're all cleaned now, just have to find out what's wrong with them. I'm sure that some of the little saws just need fuel lines and maybe a duck bill valve or two...The bigger ones probably need an intake boot plus fuel lines, etc..

Lately I haven't rebuilt many carbs since the clones are getting better and are about the same price as the kits. Just figuring out what to do with the old carbs might be a problem..

I have to say that Shindaiwa has performed well since... the only real problem is the exhaust shield. Not only the old one kept on cracking, but the replacement shield has already cracked as well, and I don't use that beast that much. It's clearly a flawed design.
Regarding TK carburetors... this one was good, just cleaning and replacing the membranes and gaskets did the trick, but the real problem is finding kits for them is becoming a veritable pain outside of the Shindaiwa dealership . This kit was sold to me by an acquaintance who's into minimotos and go-karts, otherwise I would have hit a wall.

Just picked up a 257 from my pawn shop. It's dirty but 100% original from what I can tell and the plug hole inspection was clean. It started on about the fourth pull (no choke, full trigger) and I started and stopped it several times during inspection without issue and it ran good to me. No glaring issues with plastics or the brake (there's always a problem with the brake!). Crankshaft is solid, seals look good. I just couldn't get the darn thing to oil the BnC. I think the plunger may just be gummed up though the worm wheel will turn it at slow speed; it may just be skipping over it at high speed. When I run it without the bar, oil does come out the hole, but I don't get any spray from the tip. I may just need to thoroughly flush the oil system and clean the pump. I know the 257 isn't a blue blood, but it's another 2-series in my stable. Now I have the 288 on the left waiting for parts and reassembly and the 257 on the right waiting for clean and clear. This is quickly becoming a disease; I might even bring home a STIHL next!
IMG_20200205_172759.jpg IMG_20200205_161333.jpg

Latest posts

Back