What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two saws off the bench today a husky 350 and 240s. Got them running.
Need to pick a number on who’s next.

The biggest thing about today is we had a 350 apart somewhat. New clutch drum/bearing, base gasket, bellows/ bracket, clamp replaced, carb cleaned, fuel line and filter. I let my son do most of the work. When this non running 350 fired up the kid had a smile ear to ear, comfidence builder. We had no left over parts lol He has two degrees in engineering but I’m giving him hands on learning every chance I get. Plus I’m bonding with him it’s all good.

A friend dropped off 4 saws today, I will clean them up and put them in the museum.

20200316_120759.jpg

The Craftsman 3.7 is a 917. model number which indicates manufactured by Roper. It needed a bit of cleaning...

20200316_132056.jpg

20200316_132100.jpg

All better now.

20200316_162420.jpg

20200316_162445.jpg

This one was one of the early Power Sharp models.

20200316_162454.jpg

I carried it over to the museum to add a bar and the appropriate self sharpening type chain, sorry I forgot to get a final photo.

Mark

I have this Jonsered 535 that someone asked me to get running again, have been the guy fathers saw. I have to say WOW what solid chunk of metal!
But the AV rubber is gone and I had to get one of them from England and two of them from the US, and it just amazes me how expensive it is to keep these old tanks running.
Should be good for another 30 years when I'm done with it though. I hope those crank oil seals are still good...
RIMG0103.JPGRIMG0104.JPG

Crank seals are gone, especially the small one and it's unobtainable.
I need to buy a different aftermarket one with a different outside diameter and mill an aluminum ring that fits around it and mount it with JBweld hi-temp to make it fit.

I rushed in to this and I will see it through though I wont be able to charge anything for all the work, it's simply going to be way too expensive just for the few parts and freight cost.
Next time someone asks me if I can get their out of date chainsaw running I'll have a look but I sure wont be afraid to say it's better to spend the money to buy a new saw and use the old one as a boat anchor.

Whats the point of making a saw that lasts for a 100 years if all the rubber parts have disintegrated after 30 years and are no longer made :rolleyes:

Are the seals not a standard size? Most are and can be had.

The big one I can get by measures from Hyway, and there is also someone that sells originals at ebay. The small one is 12mm inside and 26mm outside, haven't found that anywhere.

Till now I have ordered the 3 AV buffers, the one from England: 8.95, shipping 11.95, total 20.90. The two from US was 17.50 and 19.90, shipping 29.99, total 67.39.
That's 88.29 dollas for 3 pieces of rubber that might be 20 years old already...

Then I need to order the crank oil seals, probably 30 dollas just in freight cost there too I'd guess, and finally all the O-rings (tank caps, oil pump) are gone too.
FInally it needs a new rim spocket, thats only about 11 dollas from china so I might get that one in 3 or 4 months if I'm lucky.
Worst case scenario is it needs a carb rebuild kit too, if all other rubber parts are gone that sure seems possible.

They guy asked me to adjust the carburettor... I only hope I'l get it to run or I might need to pay for the parts as well as doing the free work hours.
What a nightmare, well - lesson learned for sure. I'm off to the store to get some beer, chao.

Well, I got the go ahead from the owner and all the rubber parts are covered. I am relieved.
He said the saw has more value to him as a backup saw than as a sales object or to buy a new one, he's probably right about that.

So this saw is I guess about 30 years old and have probably never been taken apart this much, I had to grind away probably 1/8" of sot in the exhaust port.
Even the intake transfers have sot in them so if this is not evidence of a restrictive muffler I don't know what is;
RIMG0109.JPGRIMG0110.JPG

Cylinder and piston is surprisingly nice (full of sot dust in the pictures) even though the whole saw shows sign of extensive use, it has a small scratch damage at the exhaust side and I will give it a new piston ring.
I guess it takes a couple months before I have all the parts so it will be packed nicely in plastic bags and a cardboard box for now.

On the bench today is the disassembly of a husky 345. The compression feels weird when the recoil is pulled. Doesn’t feel scored maybe the plastic pulley inside the recoil is cracked. Need to change the manifold over to the clamp anyway.

I've got 4 saws apart right now. Hopefully parts to rebuild oil pump on 272 will be in today. Replacement clutch drum for my 70e should be here next week. And still gotta order parts to get the Mac 2-10 and 250 back up and going.View attachment 811015View attachment 811017View attachment 811019
70E is an awesome saw. I have dads, he bought it new in the early 80s, still in excellent shape. It will easily hang with any modern 70cc saw.
dd89d07079548ab514cd091ef968fb72.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

70E is an awesome saw. I have dads, he bought it new in the early 80s, still in excellent shape. It will easily hang with any modern 70cc saw.
dd89d07079548ab514cd091ef968fb72.jpg

Remember Kevin I had one for a bit. Stupidly sold it last year cause I needed some money. Big regret, so been looking for one ever since. Finally got my hands on this one. And the bonus is it's a later one with metal fan and later ignition. Runs mint, but clutch drum is broken right at the sprocket. I ordered an Oregon drum off eBay, it should be here middle of next week. Next it'll need a 20" bar to replace the 16" on it. Think I'm gonna adapt a 20" large mount husky bar to it for now.

Mine has a husky bar on it, just need to file out the bar slot.
A 16" bar is a joke on that saw lol.
Mine has the metal fan too.

Cool that's what I was reading. Yep 16" is a joke I figure. My last one had a 18" on it and I didn't like it, the saw just wanted more. I figure 20" will be fine since my 461 is sporting 25" and my sp81 has a 28" on it.

On my bench, 2 identical ms 271’s, with the same problem. Haven’t had time to dig into em yet.
Not running well, don’t want to rev, boggy. Just dont sound right. Changed fuel on one, no difference.
Very little use on both.
Any common issues on them? Not to familiar with them. F5F6E512-3A75-424D-B961-D1D01AF3FFB6.jpeg

Back