What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to send it out for a port job but my brother is already horrified by the $220 parts bill. He got the saw for $100, put $80 in a carb (2 years ago!) and $40 in a wrap/dog kit and now has an additional $220 into it for a good used XPW cylinder, a nos piston, rings/circlips, and new bearings/seals but he’s worried about how expensive it’s getting. :wtf: A new 372 is $1000 but putting $340 into one that only cost $100 initially is too much? I was tempted to try hogging out the transfers myself but as my XPW cylinder supply has possibly dried up I don’t want to risk it.

$80 for a carb! Personally I think XPWs are overrated. Can still buy a new oem 50mm top end off ebay for $160. Or find a good used 50mm cylinder, then drop a meteor 268 piston in it for good gains. Parts add up that's for sure.

$80 for a carb! Personally I think XPWs are overrated. Can still buy a new oem 50mm top end off ebay for $160. Or find a good used 50mm cylinder, then drop a meteor 268 piston in it for good gains. Parts add up that's for sure.
Yeah, he bought a new carb rather than kit the old one, way back before either of us knew anything about saws. After cumulatively owning 100-200 saws since then we’re a little wiser. As for the XPW top end, I worked in a saw shop that had 10 or so good used XPW cylinders and 3 nos pistons, so when a 372 with an A/M top end on it came into his possession he put the good but used top end on the other saw and decided to give this one a little “boost” since he could get the XPW p/c for $75.

Not today, but a few weeks ago. Stihl 051 AVE. Got it for free in a poor condition and in pieces. Could post in a "you suck" theme.
Had to change oil pump and seals and AV mounts...and of course a lot of cleaning. Now it runs like a champ.

stihl-051-ave-rebuild.jpg

stihl-051ave.jpg

I had a few “quickie’s” hit my bench this morning. My 288 needed a new rubber washer for the tensioner and the bolt to hold the outer dog on and my brothers 181 needed to have the chain re-installed, both quick jobs. My brother’s 281 kept throwing the chain and the recoil will occasionally lock up which took a little longer. The recoil seems fine, except the spring seems a little tired and the bar’s tip is mauled from a long life of limbing so I need to buy and install a new one of those before it leaves my bench. 288 has the black weenie, 281 has the green weenie, 181 has the new top cover.
F2AB829D-3CF9-4238-B0B7-B3AB34D4F8A3.jpeg0B3B0FB8-129D-4D8F-A92B-7380820C77AB.jpegD45CF8F3-D547-4DED-85CD-E82CEDAF07BF.jpeg

Also got a 350 on the bench...USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--1701979749.jpeg
It had a bunch of air leak issue & clutch side bearing had gotten hot enough to deform the plastic case (it's now a 2150 hybrid). Next issue is the rod contacting the counterweights due to a poorly designed aftermarket piston

I've had this saw laying around for a couple years. About twice a year I'll pull it out and tinker with it until I'm beyond frustrated. Well I think TODAY is the day that I fixed it. It would start and die. Wouldn't idle and pulling the trigger was like shutting it off. I combed through the interwebs and read most of the threads I've previously read about it and THEN I came across someone mentioning an air leak around the intake block. So off came the carb again and I ran it across a sanding block. Definitely saw some low spots but nothing that i would have though the gasket wouldn't fill. Anyway, after block sanding both sides i put a light coat of permatex on and then the gaskets, let it sit for a while then reassembled. Took it out on my patio and it started and wouldn't idle but will now rev. I had rebuilt the carb but not tuned it yet so my guess is that's why it didn't idle. Can't really tune it on the patio of my townhouse. Lol! I'll know more this weekend.16016684353977271459096801557742.jpg

Couple more to work on as of today, a Stihl MS251 which the owner wants the ez start stuff taken off and conventional starter installed and a nice Husky 350 which doesn't have any compression. These in addition to the 4 little Stihls that need a rebuild. They almost always wait until the weather starts to turn cool..

Also got a 350 on the bench...View attachment 857743
It had a bunch of air leak issue & clutch side bearing had gotten hot enough to deform the plastic case (it's now a 2150 hybrid). Next issue is the rod contacting the counterweights due to a poorly designed aftermarket piston
The one I have to work on the owner said ran just fine then appeared to overheat and then just quit...I'm thinking he tried to run it with a dull chain plus the wrong fuel mixture. I'm sure gonna look at the intake boot also...

The one I have to work on the owner said ran just fine then appeared to overheat and then just quit...I'm thinking he tried to run it with a dull chain plus the wrong fuel mixture. I'm sure gonna look at the intake boot also...
Check the impulse line too, a pin hole there will do your head in. They're a bugger for air leaks... be sure to pressure test it!

Back