What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
couple saw projects... stock; modded and ported. a variety of other things, too... to include my current fav lil' engine project. the Red Head Special. an almost full-race flathead! briggs vertical shaft 6 hp... my modded monster mower motor. 21" snapper walk behind. new rod-polished beams/new slug, ported, relieved deck, handmade copper head gasket, higher compression. modded cam, moded mag, handmade stud kit, polished n shimmed valves/springs, etc. just the basics and all the usuals, too. ;)

P3270015.JPG P3270011.JPG P3290007.JPG P4160011.JPG P4020022.JPG P4050010.JPG P4140025.JPG P4050005.JPG P3230012.JPG

That's my first attempt at a 044! Pretty happy with it.

I have one on my bench, too! 044. picked it up from local arborist. couple days after it quit. bit over C-note! :D haven't worked on it too much lately. yours sounds fine! obviously done well for a first go 044 modded. :yes:

is there a thread on all u did, etc?

I did't do any kind of build thread on this saw. I don't mind sharing if you want to PM me. In a nut shell I machined the cylinder, changed port timing and polished it all up.

thanks for the offer Yota - will keep that in mind. :D i din't machine cyl, but plan of thiner base gasket. did some extensive porting work, pinned n match'd exhaust muf to port mods, etc. intake. [memo to self: hope it runs!] lol

could the site use another 044 build thread? lol

no doubt! ;)

Turns out the Poulan 3400 that I was working on this time last year, has a "cracked head"(whatever that means), my Dad tells me now, that the shop he took it to years ago told him. That explains why it was so hard to start, and easier to pull over than the 3.7 I bought since then. I never checked the compression.
It'll go on the back burner until I can luck into a 3700 or 4000 p&c.

So since I'm in the mood again, and I have amassed several sizes of fuel line, the like new 3500 and 3.7 with like new looking p&c will be on the bench this weekend as they both have fuel delivery issues.

Want to get these two running and maybe sell the Husky's, 660EVL and Shindaiwa(which all run perfect).
I only need so many 42cc and up saws. So I figure a pair of old Poulan 60cc saws and the Dolly 421 should fill that need nicely.

And then....when I get around to it.... the Craftsman 2.3 (25SDA) and Craftsman 2.0(some other 25) will be up next for fuel lines. And then the Poulan 41 needs fuel lines.
I'd probably sell these three too if it was worth my time. But I'll probably move the 41 and 4900 in the house onto the bookshelf. Who needs books on a bookshelf, right? And then maybe little red saws for Christmas gifts?

Whats on my bench at the moment?
Around three Ba$t@rD!$&D 020 AV's in various forms of disassembly.

On the plus side, I did get the most complete one to "pop" on full choke for the very first time this morning.
Next pull on the rope, everything went slack and the flywheel is spinning on the crank.....

Turning a rear handle 020AV electronic into an 020AV/020AV Electronic top handle mutation.
Forgot a case screw or two- fuel near runs out the bottom of the saw as fast as you can pour it in the top........ :omg:
Forgot to fit the throttle linkage rod before putting it back together.........:dumb2:

The damn SOB will run! I don't care if they have to put it in the coffin with me so I can work on it in the afterlife...... but it will run! :mad:

Acquired another 028 av eq today so far in two hours checked compression, fuel line and filter, vent tube, a new spare walbro 168 carb I had and hooked vacume gauge to impulse line to see if it was pulsing. image.jpg and it runs for 5 minutes or so perfect on bench and just dies like starving for fuel anyone got any ideas

Gremlins! Seriously though, could it be an air leak due to a crack that only opens after it gets hot, like when it's been idling for 5 minutes? If it's not a crack, then I heard that using clothes a shoemaker got gremlins to work for him for awhile. It'd be worth a shot to try and replicate his feat. Apparently the saw porters have succeeded in taming them, so us mortals should be able to do it as well, right?

I’ll warm It up again and do a vacuum test. Iv had issues with gremlins before lol. Best one was the computer on my 95 yj. It would only mess up on a Jeep ride usually when we got 3-4 feet of snow and towing it back is nearly impossible go back the next day and drive it out but would never do it at home. Then one day it finaly did it at the house plugged a spare in and good to go.

Gremlins! Seriously though, could it be an air leak due to a crack that only opens after it gets hot, like when it's been idling for 5 minutes? If it's not a crack, then I heard that using clothes a shoemaker got gremlins to work for him for awhile. It'd be worth a shot to try and replicate his feat. Apparently the saw porters have succeeded in taming them, so us mortals should be able to do it as well, right?
If you keep squirting fuel directly into the carb when it’s about to die will it keep running? After it dies have you tried opening the fuel cap then trying to start it back up? You’ll rule out fuel related issues by doing these two things.

Back