What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just picked up a 257 from my pawn shop. It's dirty but 100% original from what I can tell and the plug hole inspection was clean. It started on about the fourth pull (no choke, full trigger) and I started and stopped it several times during inspection without issue and it ran good to me. No glaring issues with plastics or the brake (there's always a problem with the brake!). Crankshaft is solid, seals look good. I just couldn't get the darn thing to oil the BnC. I think the plunger may just be gummed up though the worm wheel will turn it at slow speed; it may just be skipping over it at high speed. When I run it without the bar, oil does come out the hole, but I don't get any spray from the tip. I may just need to thoroughly flush the oil system and clean the pump. I know the 257 isn't a blue blood, but it's another 2-series in my stable. Now I have the 288 on the left waiting for parts and reassembly and the 257 on the right waiting for clean and clear. This is quickly becoming a disease; I might even bring home a STIHL next!
View attachment 795561 View attachment 795562
It's just a beginning! HaHaHa

I’m trying to work faster. I need those Walmart tubs with lids. Then I can disassemble more saws and continue the assembly line.

I did this with cars I’d work on seven cars, order parts and fix them.

My first husky 350 is on the bench right now.
That could work, mark them as camping gear!

My uncle Paul was a awesome man he had that Mac in the bottom pic he brought home from the dump. He actually cut with it. It sat and sat and took forever to get it running.

Uncle Paul grew up in barre , vt. He never let anything go to waste. Every trip to the dump he came home with more stuff than he took. I’ll never forget him.

Next up for me is a Homelite 360 with a like new bar and chain, it starts but idles inconsistently and sometimes runs wide open without touching the throttle trigger. I'm thinking intake boot or gasket first and if that's good it might need crank seals. I normally check the boot first on the 330 and 360..

I went ahead and ordered an intake boot for the 360 Homelite and was given a boot for a 330 which I'll work on later but I have yet another project, a Husqvarna 460 Rancher (not mine) which looks to have little compression. The muffler was already off and it was scratched up a little in the cylinder, not real bad but I think I'll go ahead and change the piston, cylinder, and the crank seals, after first giving it a good cleaning. There are several videos on the rebuild of the 460 and it doesn't look too hard.

It's a baby, It's only a 6" but it's enough to turn cylinders for now. I was just about to pull the trigger on two Logan 14" lathes out of Ca. and head that way but I just really don't want to deal with storing them until I move this spring. This one will get me by until I get my house and get a 12-14" lathe.

The seller told me I would have to replace the half nuts, that they where stripped. Manual is still in the truck on the model number. I will get some half nuts ordered for it in the near future but it will do what I need in manual mode for turning a base down since there is no powered cross feed anyway. Thanks I will probably be hitting you up for some info in a week or so.

Back