What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you’ll definitely want power feeds on the next one. I wouldn’t call my machine fast but trying to turn down a mandrel without power would be brutal. Cross feed not so much but it’s an easy way to get smooth cuts without having to do much.

Also, all the gears came with it and are in good shape, also a independent 4 jaw chuck. A bunch of tooling and live center. Two chucks for the tail stock as well and more. There was a box of stuff that came with it so I haven't checked it all out yet.

you’ll definitely want power feeds on the next one. I wouldn’t call my machine fast but trying to turn down a mandrel without power would be brutal. Cross feed not so much but it’s an easy way to get smooth cuts without having to do much.

Once I replace the half nuts I will have X axis power feed, I just have to change gears instead of a quick change gear box for now. So basically it has lateral feed but the half nuts have to be replaced for it to work. The lead screw is in perfect shape. I will look into a quick change tool post (cheap one) to get me by as well.

I was also looking at a China special 7x14 but after setting it up with everything this one has it would have cost more and this one is at least heavier and better quality.

Works basically how mine does. Half nuts, change gears. Only difference I can see is the power cross feed. I doubt I’ll ever use the change gears. I don’t plan to do any threading.

WOOHOO. Half nuts are fine, The lead screw was so full of crap they couldn't grab, I cleaned the lead screw and now it's running fine. :happybanana:

He owned the book on it and never read it. He didn't even realize that it was in back gear all the time and that it could be changed.

WOOHOO. Half nuts are fine, The lead screw was so full of crap they couldn't grab, I cleaned the lead screw and now it's running fine. :happybanana:

He owned the book on it and never read it. He didn't even realize that it was in back gear all the time and that it could be changed.
Score! Yeah no back gear for normal operation. Never used mine yet.

just finished buttoning up this little guy///ended up with 187psi..im happy..it cost way more to rebuild it with NOS parts than to just buy an ms270 ...but thats not the point now is it

anCk2yO6AjmuACGDcsFN6-BSno4QROb9yPEu2wTBW_QwipsHnIyba05icufM24a1d_MvZcikTh1hBpa_A3pItPbLYGqVtrddCDtS-_dhneviQEouv-PLDR1c98EnfCEwEF5hvpdaSJEdEwozLBKvPxg2MejRDNXiPgcQTmHghtyukvdtFE9CjX5MTKgo-NstFUO9mGIgS6tNnvSlBkWoQfLWkja0s2RESJPI3QkBfHi2oXtqI_5_IMGWUCGpbXZOe9SyZZGjTdV-mDvEkChZyWhB-i6sT_ITQkE5IZqN4e-qp1zu_7_Q5gsQWC9FB0QMdX1OZafFzKDy0w19NeF2WbQe6J2HHGMFWhQMjoTk_apGrAC7zQSNi89ydgx8d1ncU8D-Ga03ySlCPaPLuMTueZblfvtPPuIZQbq_D8EbkUB_lKfyu6sShx8x6ud_bRFnmKe4mYvNt-k8AlAKQCp_FRIory-8sstFkEblHxIQ4CiZ3IwKB_01ojk8mbxG7VAeBfCueavtPk2DBkw4fsmE9A84bOTi-EN0P2dzIPQh-inTnugssDN3PY7sRwF7Y5fE28OO6g76xHStJM_1H_wsxOSfgV5tPJemTTvlQGgsHYBl0T_KtPcyKWTyyL2nz_bkAh6g3P9efJ7yZ6WdRgqXni3MEqu9YgEMRjmWBS-D1apemHW7ypqpnxE=w1922-h911-no

Score! Yeah no back gear for normal operation. Never used mine yet.
Well that was fun, finally got the three jaw broke loose on the lathe. I hate it when people don't take care of things, I figured it was some cheap no name chuck on it but once I got it off I was able to see made in England stamped on the back side. No wonder when I put a 1/2" drill bit in the head it had less than .001 run out on it, for a 3 jaw that is very good. Bearings are tight but press fit so I wont go after them, everything else is so dirty that it will take me all weekend to get it all cleaned up. I only have the lantern style post so I will be getting a QCTP to put on it https://www.amazon.com/SWING-QUICK-...WXYZ6128YZ8&psc=1&refRID=FEE3ZSBD5WXYZ6128YZ8 is the one I am looking at pretty seriously.

I got in some M2 1/4" HSS blanks and will start making some bits, once I get better at it I will get some M42 HSS but kobalt is hard to shape and work with so I will start slow.

20200211_142938.jpg Tinkering with my 3.7 again. Cleaned up the transition from the carb to the intake port.20200211_155627.jpg Trying to do one thing at a time and see what works and what doesn't. Probably do BG delete after I test this. Want to see what the saw will do with basic mods.

Well that was fun, finally got the three jaw broke loose on the lathe. I hate it when people don't take care of things, I figured it was some cheap no name chuck on it but once I got it off I was able to see made in England stamped on the back side. No wonder when I put a 1/2" drill bit in the head it had less than .001 run out on it, for a 3 jaw that is very good. Bearings are tight but press fit so I wont go after them, everything else is so dirty that it will take me all weekend to get it all cleaned up. I only have the lantern style post so I will be getting a QCTP to put on it https://www.amazon.com/SWING-QUICK-...WXYZ6128YZ8&psc=1&refRID=FEE3ZSBD5WXYZ6128YZ8 is the one I am looking at pretty seriously.

I got in some M2 1/4" HSS blanks and will start making some bits, once I get better at it I will get some M42 HSS but kobalt is hard to shape and work with so I will start slow.

that’s basically the post I have. I would just get some carbide tip cutters. Not all the much and last a long time. Make solid cuts. You’ll have to post an after pic once you get it all cleaned up

I put the Husky family on the bench for a group shot. The 288 fired up for the first time today but is waiting on two more AV springs and a new BnC; something in 24-inch full comp I reckon. The 55 has been doing storm cleanup work with a 20-inch BnC. It's getting a new 16-inch setup and a carb tune. The 257 was just rescued from the pawn shop and needs a full cleaning, but it runs. It's getting the 20-inch BnC from the 55.

IMG_20200215_203500.jpg

What’s the plan with the Makita?

It's a dolmar 6400. Where do I start?!?

The saw ran, but I didn't put it in wood before tearing it apart. It sounded ok.

Looks like someone used the saw to cut up plastic barrels or something. The cylinder was caked with melted shredded plastic, melted plastic goop everywhere. It couldn't have been good to have limited cooling from the cylinder. The rod isn't blued and doesn't seem to have play. I'd guess it has a decent number of hours on it based on the cylinder and piston.... smooth, no scoring.

Crank doesn't have play, but there's a ton of wet grime behind the flywheel, maybe not sealing well. I didn't bother to do a pressure test on it as I'll split the cases to freshen things up. I'm also contemplating a solo crank... because why not?

One of the cases is cracked in multiple places. I've never welded magnesium before, but how hard can it be? (famous last words)

Then there are the small issues... rusted exhaust bolts that I had to drill out, a stripped bolt head for the chain catch which was mangled, impulse line broke during disassembly, coil wire is brittle, etc. etc.

Figure a husky unlimited coil and carb mod... The one big question is what to do for top end. I have a new 7900 P&C, but I thought an AM 54mm top end might be cool with the solo crank? 87CC ? The oem top end could be fitted on one of my other dolkitas.

Back