What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're absolutely right! I think I see a 797 or 795 on the far right that looks to be taking up way too much space. Or any super pro saws, they must be taking up the most space haha. I'd love to help you clear some out :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
795, and there is a 790 there too. Neither one will be leaving unfortunately! the 795 is my go-to big saw.

Been working on a 288

Looks very clean! I just brought one home last night. Not the nicest though, some moderate scoring on exhaust side and a cracked handlebar. Missing several things as well, might just use it for parts. I'm going to pull the cylinder later to see if I can save it. I've got to finish the 575 that's on the bench first though. Then on to the pm610 and pm805....and the 1-70 once the tilly kit comes in. I need to pick up/make a smaller mandrel bit to use when polishing exhaust ports. Most of it turns out really well but I'm having a little trouble with the corners. They're still rougher than I want them to be.
c1c6e0382560ea024f46565e4f219a9e.jpg
f6751a0272591c1f62e1f782d53716e2.jpg
cc0b3a730ef91374845ad1fb3c0609db.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I am always impressed when I see how good some of you guys can grind. You guys really have an artist's touch that I envy. Nice work!
I would hardly consider myself an artist but I do agree with what you mean. Practice makes perfect. Still perfecting the craft.

I haven't fallen off the face of the earth, working on making a center rest for my lathe. That ring started out as a 4"x1.25" long piece of 4140 heat treated and stress relieved that I cut off of some fan shafts that I demo'd about a year ago. I took it down to 3.75"x.750" and opened the center out to 2.850". I'm drilling the three center/starter holes here at 120 degree's apart for threading to accept the carriers. I will be using 3/8x24 tpi grade 5 allthread and drilling the ends out and putting oillite bronze at the tips with brass knurled knobs on the outside and grade 8 half nuts for the lock down. Once I get done getting the three centers holes started I will turn flats for the nut to lock up on a flat surface. It's a lot of work and I could have bought a center rest for a couple hundred but this is teaching me a lot about using the lathe.
CC.jpg

This is what it looks like with the flats turned and just the center drill ran through at .311. I just ordered my 21/64 (.3281) bit today as well as the tap so it will be next weekend before I can finish the holes out and thread them.
srf.jpg

Currently this 5-10 is going back together after a rebuild.
Soon to be followed by this basket case 1-70. This is hopefully going to be my first attempt at a ported Mac "hotsaw". It is 87cc and has the removable head like a Kart motor.
5b249d7ee35c63380ad2a404156cfae6.jpg
0cf63902a4cadc433943462e40f01e21.jpg
d8f3a76b12fe52e7460e961ee323e1e7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This 084 is dirty. Took me 45 mins to split the case after is was torn down because all the case bolt holes were stuffed with crusty saw dust. Digging them out was a pain. Most difficult case split I’ve experienced.

It may have been easier to submerge that one for a week and then come back to it.:surprised3:

ive got a sweet 257 that runs like a beast for a minute then gos on unemployment for a bit

Work it out; maybe needs a new fuel or air filter? Or the tune isn't right. My newly acquired 257 wouldn't oil; I R'nR'd the oiler so many times, but nothing i did worked. Didn't want to spend a Ben on a new oiler, so I took a chance on a $30 ebay refurb and it works! I may send my oiler to the guy see if he can fix it. Only other thing I've done to it is clean it really well and replace the carb gaskets, sealing collar, and put on a mesh filter. Retuned the carb and it hammered yesterday with an H47 full comp 20-inch BnC.

Point of information: I ordered a new worm wheel but it came with short threads. My original worm wheel had longer threads (see last pic). The new wheel with shorter threads wouldn't run the oiler; old wheel runs it. They are stamped with the same OE part number.
IMG_20200301_123406.jpg IMG_20200301_123149.jpg IMG_20200301_123221.jpg IMG_20200301_123550.jpg

Finally got a chance to use the 181/288 that I ported (photos earlier in this thread) Thanks again to @Yotaismygame for the suggestions.

Went milling with it, put 6-8 tanks through and it seems pretty strong. Pulled a 34" bar and skip chain no problem. Oil output seems stingy even with the pump turned all the way up. (it'd be enough to buck with, but i'd expect it to be slinging oil off at max output) Wood was English walnut (hard and wet)

Anyways, need to hack apart my spare muffler and put a big deflector on it, then i'll be good to go. Also - I was going to do a pop up piston, but seeing how much compression it makes as is, I don't know if I really need to.

288.jpg

288-mill.jpg

Finally got a chance to use the 181/288 that I ported (photos earlier in this thread) Thanks again to @Yotaismygame for the suggestions.

Went milling with it, put 6-8 tanks through and it seems pretty strong. Pulled a 34" bar and skip chain no problem. Oil output seems stingy even with the pump turned all the way up. (it'd be enough to buck with, but i'd expect it to be slinging oil off at max output) Wood was English walnut (hard and wet)

Anyways, need to hack apart my spare muffler and put a big deflector on it, then i'll be good to go. Also - I was going to do a pop up piston, but seeing how much compression it makes as is, I don't know if I really need to.

View attachment 807435

View attachment 807436
Good deal. Those saws make good power. I would chose one over a 660 any day.

Latest posts

Back