What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My ported 272 hit my bench for a quickie repair last night. Somehow the dogs got mangled when the one oak who's stump the saw is sitting on fell. It made everything around me jump or kick but I was unscathed. When I went to "dog" the saw into the top of the stump it didn't feel right, I looked closer and lo and behold I had wrecked my dogs! I have 5 or so "pairs" extra so I just swapped them out when I got home. IMG_6327.jpegIMG_6329.jpeg

My ported 272 hit my bench for a quickie repair last night. Somehow the dogs got mangled when the one oak who's stump the saw is sitting on fell. It made everything around me jump or kick but I was unscathed. When I went to "dog" the saw into the top of the stump it didn't feel right, I looked closer and lo and behold I had wrecked my dogs! I have 5 or so "pairs" extra so I just swapped them out when I got home. View attachment 895679View attachment 895680
Oh ****! Lol

Leaving my bench this morning, not actually on my messy bench, but the floor. Beast of a saw now, came in neglected and without proper tune...also no chain tensioner (must have vibrated out). I hate to see her go! Lol

Attachments

• IMG_20210319_064151317.jpg
    IMG_20210319_064151317.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 23
372XP OE.
Took about .007 off the base to end up with .0225/.023 depending on where you measure the squish and started working on the lower transfers. I cleaned up the jagged edge on the intake and just a general smoothing of the exhaust port. I will open the exhaust up to gasket size where the muffler mounts and open the intake to match the intake boot then start porting, and smoothing the exhaust port.

Attachments

• Basecut.jpg
    Basecut.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 17
  • squish.jpg
    squish.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 14
  • LTP.jpg
    LTP.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 15
Using a Deskar DCMT 21.51 insert @ 628sfm(way slow for the insert) and even cross slide by hand (no power cross slide feed on my lathe) and the finish came out feeling silky smooth. I was about to buy a 12" Craftsman lathe a week ago but Momma said if it isn't what you want then get the one you want, I explained it's 5K more, she shrugged and said oh well, now I just have to convince myself to let go of 6K for a lathe I will eventually replace later on/or use as a backup. But I'm guessing there is no sympathy in here for that, just look at all the CAD and the $$$$.

Attachments

• Deskar.jpg
    Deskar.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 11
Woodslasher you need to play nicer with your saws. I can't believe you got away with only bent dawgs, I would have thought for sure to bend them that bad would have cracked the case. The woods gods where smiling down on you.

My ported 272 hit my bench for a quickie repair last night. Somehow the dogs got mangled when the one oak who's stump the saw is sitting on fell. It made everything around me jump or kick but I was unscathed. When I went to "dog" the saw into the top of the stump it didn't feel right, I looked closer and lo and behold I had wrecked my dogs! I have 5 or so "pairs" extra so I just swapped them out when I got home. View attachment 895679View attachment 895680
No wonder there is something wrong with it, its upside down - both the bar and the saw.

Woodslasher you need to play nicer with your saws. I can't believe you got away with only bent dawgs, I would have thought for sure to bend them that bad would have cracked the case. The woods gods where smiling down on you.
If I knew how it happened I'd avoid doing that in the future, but my only thought is maybe I bent them trying to stab them into the stump? Or, maybe the butt caught the bar and pulled/dragged the saw into the stump? The dogs are kinda flimsy (I can bend them individually by hand) so I'm thinking I'll cut a new set out of a thicker chunk of plate one of these days. That whole job is nothing but nasty, but I've escaped pretty much unscathed so far.
No wonder there is something wrong with it, its upside down - both the bar and the saw.
Well shoot, no wonder it was cutting backwards!

If I knew how it happened I'd avoid doing that in the future, but my only thought is maybe I bent them trying to stab them into the stump? Or, maybe the butt caught the bar and pulled/dragged the saw into the stump? The dogs are kinda flimsy (I can bend them individually by hand) so I'm thinking I'll cut a new set out of a thicker chunk of plate one of these days. That whole job is nothing but nasty, but I've escaped pretty much unscathed so far.

Well shoot, no wonder it was cutting backwards!
Maybe get some 4140 annealed and make them up then temper them. The thickness of the metal seems about right, they just need to be made of something that can be tempered.
I thought this is what you do if you put the chain on backwards?

I worked the Mako cylinder over.
EDIT: Yes Yoda, I went back in and smoothed the ports out more.

All back together, Vac/Pressure test held so everything is sealed up tight. I will give it a test run tomorrow to see how it feels.

Attachments

• IMG_20210326_213741579[1].jpg
    IMG_20210326_213741579[1].jpg
    391 KB · Views: 13
Back