What's on your firewood list?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That explains a lot!
My dad drank Old Milwaukee warm. Kept a six pack or two on the back step. Sometime followed it with a shot of whiskey on the weekend.
He was almost 51 years older than me. Mum was younger.
I'm sure I was a bit of a surprise. A delightful one, of course.

I started hand filing without a guide this past fall.
Always used a guide prior. Most recently the Stihl 2-1.
The guide is very good, and much, much quicker. Especially in dirty wood, resharpening often, like every twenty minutes. I do enjoy hand sharpening and trying to learn the technique. YouTube is great, but you have to look at several to compare.
When you hand sharpen, and get it right, there is a certain joy, or satisfaction in the feel of bar easing through the cut.
And I'm pretty sure the chip is different when the lower side of the tooth is also cutting (where the guide does not reach). The gullet. Although to me the gullet is the negative space, the open space.
I used to walk back to the garage to sharpen in the bench vise, which proved to be a twenty or thirty minute break, if not further distracted. I bought a second bench vice and mounted it on the rear rack of the quad. The quad pulls my nursery wagon/work table and supplies for cutting. Sharpening with the jig takes five minutes from cutting/back to cutting or twice that if refueling. Huge improvement in production over a four hour session and multiple sharpening. Quick. Sharpen sooner then before. Cuts better. Fewer distractions. And all I did was move the sharpening station 300'. I'm getting a little better and quicker at hand sharpening. Important is to use sharp files as well.

Just used YouTube to change belts on the 10 hp Ariens snow blower. It requires splitting the machines front half from the rear, and removing a plate to side shift a drive pulley mechanism to allow drive belt replacement. It also explained excessive belt wear which is 'normal' due to design, and drive pulley tilting out of alignment in neutral. Also used YouTube years ago to remove a Buick Park Avenue back seat to access rear strut bolts. And of course lots of other stuff. The quad front cvc boot replacement... The front axle is like a socket and ratchet attachment. Give it a tug.

SuperSplit is next.
Or maybe the quad. Picked up two Polaris drive belts yesterday. One to hang up for 'on hand'.
The quad is a 2005, and has been the heart of moving wood with the arch, and trailers for years. Now it moves wood to the shed, chips when cutting, the wood splitter, the conveyor, work trailer. Haven't put the plow on it in two years. Sometimes Grandma and I jump on together and ride over to the neighbors and say Hi from a distance.

Guess I'll do the quad maintenance first.
It's the bigger project, and the one I least want to do, so do it first, and off the list.

My current firewood list is.... make firewood asap. I didn't touch a saw or splitter for 8 months in 2020 so I am way behind on wood for myself and customers. The first thing on the firewood list this year was to complete the grapple I started to make in early 2020 for the mini skid steer. Glad I did that first as it has really helped me get wood home faster than ever.

In 2006 I bought an Igland WP3000 firewood process that needed work. Two years ago I moved it into the shop to get running as I had a good run off wood for it but I did nothing but trip over it. I finally got it running last week and processed a bit with it but its really not going to work for the majority of the wood I do.

In the last 3 weeks, after my day job, I've hauled in around 30 cord, bucked up about 25 cord and split about 12 cord.

Friday night I started working on making the motor mount for the box wedge SS, converting it from the diesel to the gear reduced Honda. I was going to work on it again last night but I fixed the broken cloths dryer instead.

The SS SE needs some TLC and told me that loud and clear on Sunday. Since I've been splitting snowy/icy wood the cam followers have taken a beating getting covered in a concrete like paste from the snow, ice and dirt. The brass plate under the push ram has a pretty sizeable groove worn in it from the I-beam to the point that the rack started to grind on the pinion in the home position. I flipped the plate for a short term fix.

Well, I missed a door handle with the Cerakote. Once outside there were two other small spots need touch up. Love those full sun days.
Quad maintenance is mid way plus. Some oil film on the top end this year. I used Simple Green to clean it up to see what if anything comes back. Four fluid changes. So much easier with the body panels removed. Blew torque converter out with air. Working on replacing the front left u-joint boots. Did the right side two years ago. Finish up today and start SuperSplit go over. I already pulled/greased the wheels and replaced belts earlier this past fall. Mainly a clean up/inspection, and buff.

IMG_4687.jpgIMG_4686.jpgIMG_4684.jpgIMG_4679.jpgIMG_4689.jpgIMG_4691.jpg

I’ve gone back and forth with a pickup dump box, a dump trailer, and/or a new flatbed with stake sides for plow truck. I’ve got money set aside for it but having second thoughts. that’s a lot of $ to tie up into a hobby and I can rent a 7x14 dump trailer any time I want for 75 bucks a day.

I’m not going to be cutting as much as I used to but I think I’ll buy a decent hydro once I see a good sale. Missed out on a 22T speeco the other day. I’m finding if I do to much hand splitting it causes me extra trips to the chiropractor.

I’m overloaded with saws and have two lifetimes of splitting tools so good there unless a real minty 262 or 357 were to float within my grasp.

Sometimes the firewood list gets bumped back a bit.
Trip to a mechanic to persuade axle joints to come apart. Took him three minutes and half of that was finding the right tool, but it was a forty five minute drive round trip.
Had to take the cat to the vet, so it pushed it into mid afternoon, grouping them together.
The axle is back in with new boots. Body panel cleanup and install in the morning.
The neighbors had a 12" Beech drop across their drive. Very windy night. They have thirty acres on a corner, with additional access. It was thick woods but last year had it cut pretty lean. The trees left are very tall with small tops. The wind has dropped several since the cutting, being more open and less protected.

First would be to get more wood. Second is to bundle the wood I have. I want to build a sign and firewood stand for the roadside. I'm also wanting to get an Echo 590. I had some experience with it last summer working for a tree service and it definitely outperforms our stihl farm boss.

I’ve gone back and forth with
It's all part of the process. Once I decided to give up getting a bigger truck to carry the forklift and try a dump trailer, then I just could not nail down a choice. When I finally did, a nice 16' SureTrac, they were not available for almost five months, and no fixed price. Back to comparing and reading mostly terrible reviews. Now I'm second guessing my choice, an Ultimate Dump by BWise. Funny isn't it. The trailer is great, I just spent a lot, and that's what I'm second guessing. But it's done. After a few month hauling deliveries we'll see. I still need a cdl however to be legal. That's on my list of things to do.

I keep looking for a "new" plow/work truck. If I can find something rust free, then only drive it around the house in the winter to limit sale exposure I can make it last almost indefinitely. By "new" I mean made after the new millennium, is at least a 3/4 ton, and costs less than 10k.

I am hoping to take the kids on a spring break trip down south at the end of the month. Great time to look at trucks that have never seen rust.

I keep looking for a "new" plow/work truck. If I can find something rust free, then only drive it around the house in the winter to limit sale exposure I can make it last almost indefinitely. By "new" I mean made after the new millennium, is at least a 3/4 ton, and costs less than 10k.

I am hoping to take the kids on a spring break trip down south at the end of the month. Great time to look at trucks that have never seen rust.
Dont know where your located, but I've seen local used dealers that get trucks from the mid west from time to time, they charge a premium for them but there isnt a stitch of rust on them.

The quad is ready to start it's 16th year!
Almost... I need to pull the rear wheel and take it in to get the valve stem straightened. Must have a tube in it and the stem is pretty crooked.
I will say sharpening on the quad does make a mess with filings. Need to start blowing it off once in a while, as I sharpen often during a cutting session.
Next... Where's that SuperSplit? IMG_4694 (1).jpg

How do you bundle?
It is something I've considered doing in the winter.
I made a small bundle stand out of 2x4s. I can get a picture tomorrow and post it in here. Its basically just 2x4s that hold the wood at each end and it allows me to wrap the wood in the middle with packing stretch wrap. I've only gotten a handful of bundles made because if been focused on getting the wood split. Im hoping after the rain passes next week to make a batch of bundles.

I guess I need to try making a few bundles.
I like the bag idea. Contains the mess a little better, and no loosening up from shifting or further drying. A bit more eye appeal maybe, as well, and perhaps easier to carry or load in a car.

I'm still trying this list thing out. It does seem to be more productive.
Here's the thing about lists, at least mine.
I've crossed off the truck, the snowblower, and the quad.
Started the SuperSplit... Literally. It started hard after sitting since early January. Started cleaning too. This is the first winter I've left it out, about eight weeks. So we'll see how that went.
But added several more items to the list, some firewood related, some not.

New belt on the torque converter is nice and grabby. The quad clean up always is a step up. Just a good feeling to use it. There is an H on the shifter. Not sure what that's for. Have to ask the kids.

My main firewood project is still kind of in neutral. Called the welder Monday that repaired the last leak and he seemed interested but was working out of the shop and didn't have his schedule with him to see when he could come and look at it and make a pattern for the metal that needed to be replaced. I will call him Monday again and check in. I don't want to bug him too much. I would sure like to get it repaired and back up and running.

rancher2: Are you talking about an outdoor wood boiler?

SuperSplit: Pulled the engine off, and the rack out. Replaced all the push plate bearings. Four on the bottom and one on top of the beam. One lower was still good, but replaced it anyway. Also replaced the two engagement bearings, and the thru bolt that mounts them. This proved to be a feat of patience. These bearings are the same as the lower push plate bearings. They were not sloppy, just not smooth to turn any more. I did not have the proper drift pin to align the bearings. It's a tight fit, so I beveled the original bolt to align the two bearings in the bracket. Then used a rubber ball as a buffer, used in panel doors to reduce rattle, and chased it out with a new bolt. Removed and replaced the engagement rod guide. The belts were replaced late last fall. And removed a quarter pound of grease throughout the housing. In the last week I've gone thru a box of the shop towels, mostly yesterday. It was an unexpected mess of a job. A bit of kitty litter scuffed in the concrete to keep the grease spots from tracking. It's all back together with fresh synthetic. I need to pull the wheels and wax those up yet. Part of what's happening is my splitter gets buried in wood chips from sitting between two log decks. Mix that with the grease on the rack and it builds up in the housing around the pinion and it's bearings. It's all good.
I watched Ohio Wood Burner on YouTube. He has added a longer, 14' out feed conveyer and a stand alone hydraulic log deck to his Japa processor. I like it. The SuperSplits days may be numbered. It will be a couple years, but that's the plan, something similar.
Annual cleanup, the conveyor is next.
The firewood list is getting shorter. But the spring outdoor house list is growing, with some time consuming projects. Moles have gotten under the patio blocks around our fire pit, and the individual pavers are dropping like piano keys. The wood step needs replaced too. There are twenty or so pavers that have dropped. We also had a very small roof leak traveling from around a skylight. I originally roofed the house. Four years ago we had it redone, it was time, and I did not want to do it. I regretted that for a couple reasons. They put the wrong color shingles on, and cracked our drive with the tele handler placing the outrigger half on/have off the edge of the slab. Kid operator. Nice kid, but no experience. So I'm stripping one side of the roof this spring and doing it myself. That's going to take away from firewood time.IMG_2892.jpgIMG_2891.jpgIMG_2889.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5216.jpg
    IMG_5216.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5215.jpg
    IMG_5215.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4068.jpg
    IMG_4068.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 7
No Sandhill Crane. The Garn is a inside boiler that has a built in 2000 gallon storage tank on it so you batch burn it and store the heat in the water. It has a man hole on top so you can get in it to make repairs. After a couple shoulder surgery's there is no getting in there for me.

Never heard of one like that. Sounds very interesting. I'll have to look it up. Any photos?

SuperSplit is done. I added a phenolic sheet to the table a few years ago. Last fall I added an angle iron piece under, and across the width at the end of the plastic to keep it flat. It has been flat side to side, but was still a slight ski ramp. The actual issue was vibration would draw fines between the table and the top sheet. Today I drilled and tapped for two bolts in that angle to capture underneath the table and hold it down, and still allow for movement, for expansion in the sun. No photo as my phone battery is dead, again.

I recently did a CV shaft in my ATV as well, Sandhill what was giving you grief with yours? I was able to get mine out by only removing the wheel, shaft nut, and the two lower A-arm bolts on the frame side.

I've been hand filing for year and but enjoy trying new sharpening tools. I am a huge fan of the Pferd C-SX 2in1. I think the most important thing is to be in a comfortable position and having the saw held firmly. One of my tricks that really helps is clamping the saw upside down to file my off-hand side. That way I'm working over the tip of the bar rather than the saw itself.

I finished up the box wedge SS going from diesel to Honda. Man that thing moves thru wood. I will have to shoot a video and do a write up on it soon.

Back