What's on your firewood list?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the Today List:
-install 562 XP filter kit.
-install Subaru engine on SuperSplit, service, and get it running after sitting on shelf for two years.
-order air filter, exhaust guard, and maybe a fuel tank to replace the dented one on the gx 200.
-install stop block and do layout on new cutting bench.
-service forklift and clean/wax. It has developed a hydraulic oil drip. Track that down.
-move stacks of pallets in prep for deliveries. I'll be starting deliveries from that end.
-palletize four rowpacks of junk wood. I need the boxes emptied to start processing.
27° going to 55° and full sun :drinkingcoffee:

What's on your Today List?
Love that filter upgrade in the 562xp, way better then the old design. Havent had fines get past the yellow top filter personally, been running line since January with the new filter set up.
Are you meaning "out west" like Wyoming? Around here everything rusts away.
Last I asked they were getting the truck from Arizona, I guess living in eastern Pa oit west covers 3/4 of the country lol.

First is figure out what saw to use. Seems to be my biggest debate lately. Need about three or fore more loads of wood cut for next years season. I would like to change hydraulic fluid and filter on the splitter. Change the engine oil too so its good for next year. Clean all saws real good at end of season. Probly more to do as i go

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
I just serviced my saws and splitters last week too.
Snow blower recoil repair is next along with a lube and grease job on it and rust spray before putting it away for the year.
Also have a flat front tire on the Craftsman 20hp lawn tractor needs to be tubed.
4 cords of firewood to cut/split/stack and also build the new firewood lean-to.
Swap out the winter wheels for Summers on wife's Nissan Rogue and my new Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Hmmm, Am I missing anything?
Maybe check and grease trailer tires(boat/2 utility/cargo)
May need to look at my list.

Walked outside and was reminded that my main wood hauling trailer needs new side beams welded on then I can put on new boards.

It came with removable 2.5’ sides that eventually rusted out. I was going to do 3’ sides so I could haul a full cord of dry wood-I wouldn’t haul a full cord of green due to weight issues.

The trailer was originally free back in 07’ and I’ve bought a new axle, new tires and redid the tongue along the way. I’ve hauled well over 100 cords of wood and also hauled hundreds of miscellaneous loads with it, so it doesn’t own anyone anything.

First firewood delivery this morning.
It went pretty good. Walked it first.
Lots of room to turn a vehicle around, but not a trailer.
Had to back in a long curved driveway, but lots of room on both sides and no sprinklers.
Pulled out of the drive and it began to rain.
There is a lot of tire scuff when turning/backing but that's nothing new.

We have our grandson, who is eight, for part of spring break, so lots of small projects and not much wood lot stuff.
We are going to enjoy the next few days.
Grandma is going to take him looking for deer antlers, and down to the wetland/swamp looking for treasures.
And to the Lake Michigan township park that has lot of small rocks. She has really gotten into rock polishing.
He and I stopped at the feed mill and picked up some bags of ear corn after the firewood delivery.
He dropped the hydraulic tailgate and raised/lowered the box. Checked me on the gate latches, using the Japanese style "point and speak" safety system. Same with tree limbs and wires above.

Yesterday his dad was here. We walked out to the container which is in the middle of 120-140 cords of wood on double stacked pallets ten feet high. There is a huge temperature change there. Basically 240 tons of mass, like an ice burg, that has not begun to warm up yet. He kicked away some leaves of the pallets midway down the side of the container and the pallets are still frozen to the ground in 2" of ice.

Did air cleaner upgrade last night on 562 xp. Pulled clutch and greased clutch bearing.
As noted by Big Eddy, the clutch doesn't need removal to grease.
Mine actually looked oiled not greased, but I greased it lightly.
You do need to pull the clutch of course to change out the 7-pin chain driver.
Mine still looks good.
The air filter upgrade went well. Two rubber dampeners; two screws; fuel plunger bulb (never had a saw with one before); two fuel lines to plunger bulb; two slip-on/off electric wire connectors.
Cleaned up the bar edges while it was off and flipped it.
Two saws to sharpen yet. I'll have to cut a large round for the grandson to stand on to make it easier for him to try the Stihl 2-1. I'll do the gullet by hand and show him. I put the saws in a bench vise on the quad. He is adopted, so no social media pictures of him per parents. Disappointing, but understandable.
Right now Grandma and him are checking the stone polishing drums, and the sun is trying to pop out.
He is here for four days. His dad said he has been looking forward to coming for days. He packed all his own cloths. Dad double checked. He had packed fourteen pair of underwear. I think he is planning to stay awhile.
We have a non related to firewood project in the RV trailer, requiring the use of multiple tools, hand and power. He is too young for many things but good experience of using some, and seeing what other hand tools, and different hand power tools, and cordless tools do. He lives in the city. They don't even have a lawn mower. Limited garage space. He saw the stand up paddle board suspended in the top of the wood lot container, and talked for twenty minutes about last summer at Grandma's cottage (she owns it with her sisters, passed down from their dad). Good kid. But it takes two, both of us old folks, to keep up with him. There are moments I share what I learned from my dad, who was 36 years in the service. When it's important i remind him, like my dad did. "I didn't ask you. I told you!" But I add why it's important. (Something my dad didn't do.)
The flip side is he is still a kid, but lines are good.

Question: The Honda muffler guard that came didn't fit one of the four screws. Tempted to drill and tap the muffler to make it work. If I did it while running would that keep metal chips out of the engine? Or would there be suction of some kind? The exhaust valve would be closed as the piston goes down, right?

Tempted to drill and tap the muffler to make it work. If I did it while running would that keep metal chips out of the engine?
That's exactly what a lot of guys do when drilling a diesel engine exhaust manifold to install thermocouples. Might be more challenging on a saw.

Another trick is to dip the drill bit in grease to keep the chips attached to it. Less effective if you let the bit get hot.

I just run the engine when drilling for a thermocouple, honestly it's when you break through that is the most worry.
My kids have been very active in being up my rump when I'm working. But annoying at times, but they are learning. My son(2yo) can hardly speak english but can point out most of the components on engines, and kinda say what they are. Great to have them around and interested. I need to learne to be more patient, with them lol.

@Sandhill Crane there should never be any negative pressure on the exhaust side, if valve is open piston is expelling air, even during overlap it is still pushing, exhaust valve will close before piston begins to go down so you would be golden, i've drilled a few manifolds for thermocouples and just drill with a greased bit and then lock turbo and blow the stuff out, one might want to more careful when doing that with a VG turbo but thankfully I don't have anything with that new fangled junk that seems to always fail on it.

Hard not seeing the pieces but I'd be inclined to drill a new hole in the guard or oversize it with a washer instead of tapping the muffler.

No more snow in the yard and it's been a few days since I've had any logs frozen to the ground. I've been pushing thru splitting a bunch of big nasties with the TW-5, I can't wait to get back to splitting with the SS and increased production. I just ordered a bunch of hydraulic parts for the the excavator and skid steer and decided to get a pressure gauge for the TW5. I'm hoping with the gauge I can dial in the autocycle valve which is less than reliable.

The guard is dimpled, which give the stand off distance, and the screw holes are centered in the dimple. I could do as you, cucv, suggested and use a fender washer.
Worked on the forklift. Found a hydraulic hose that's been rubbing when moving the front carriage. And the tiny drip is a bit harder to resolve. Main pump return hose fitting at a box that has nine hoses. Still need to do oil and filter changes. Grandson is here for one more day. He has been a big help. We did two firewood deliveries together. He earned a little money. Then he wanted grandma to pay him for doing some stuff. Nope. Told him I make a little money for deliveries, so you makes a little. You don't get paid for every little thing you do. Not going down that road.

Back