What's the best backpack blower on the market?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the best BP blower on the market today?

• Shindaiwa EB802

Votes: 28 22.2%
  • Redmax EBZ8050/EBZ8001

Votes: 53 42.1%
  • Echo PB-770

Votes: 45 35.7%

• Total voters
5-Year Update:
(3-year update)
(2-year update)
(1-year update)

Remember I detailed a specific need for excessive power to rip & launch wet oak leaves from long grass into wooded land bordered by wild black raspberries previously in this thread...

The RedMax EBZ8500RH two-stroke backpack blower (recommended here as the most powerful backpack blower) started on the 3rd pull (last-year's fuel wasn't drained) and runs well and without issue on 93 octane fuel and Stihl HP Ultra oil mixed rich (now 32:1 instead of 40:1 previously instead of 50:1 in the owner's manual). (State laws keep changing Wisconsin may now have ethanol in every grade of fuel including some premium" brands, hence running 93 octane instead of 89 and using more oil to lubricate the internals.)

Cleaning the yard this year was a breeze even though the grass was long thanks to it being dry out. The scraper nozzle (add-on purchase) wasn't needed, just the standard and constrictor nozzle from the EBZ7500 (add-on purchase).

4 hours for the whole yard full of oak leaves, 7/8 throttle and one tank of gas.

The Stihl KombiSystem needs a tuneup and therefore wasn't used this year. The attachments are due for tear-down and inspection. The blower is still doing okay with what seems to be slightly loose bearings, but other than the fan vibrating a bit everything is working fine. The chainsaw attachment was completely plugged up, has a slightly burned bar, and needed the chain sharpened. The string trimmer is getting a bit loose, the multi-angle-head hedge trimmer seems to be heating up a bit and needs a tear-down to check on the internals. All the steel pole extensions are fine with no issues.

Thanks again for the up-front advice before buying all this, you've made my work much easier!

*Please remember I'm a big guy who wants to power through tough jobs, these tools are pretty heavy for the average person.

It might have been mentioned, but does anybody else run a backpack & hand blower at the same time?
I bought my girlfriend a BR700 stihl because the old BR340 (? stickers worn off but started with a 3) wasn't blasting the leaves away like she wanted & power was her main concern... long story short, I stopped by and ended up running my 10 year old 55 in the left had & the BR 700 on my back & blew me away is not just a pun.
It normally takes her or me 4-6 hrs with the 700 alone depending on volume & wetness, but with both at once it took me around 2.5 with nearly a whole seasons worth of leaves.

I've done it. Two people working together works well, but the coordination of just one person using two blowers can be far faster at times.

A single large jet of air down the middle of a large & deep leaf row causes the leaves to roll into the jet once a path is cleared, but it works best when leaving a 1-foot blocking wall of leaves so a heavy load doesn't back-blast and scatter, then go back for cleanup.

With two jets the large one can blast the main pile and the other can alternate between assisting and cleanup. If the wind picks up the smaller jet can stop a backblast by sucking the leaves into the jet and pushing them forward again. The small one can act as an outside trap when getting to the end of a row, forcing the leaves forward instead of them scattering to the side.

As good as that can be, in wet leaves much of the time the second blower is idling because it doesn't have the power to scrape the leaves out of the grass or push a heavy load, and it destructively interferes with the big blower. Ear plugs and muffs to combat the noise helps, but it's still loud. I'm guessing single-handing the smaller (though still large) blower can lead to arthritis as the hand is carrying the weight of the unit / fighting the blast, plus has no real leverage for directing the nossle unlike using two hands spread apart. (Some people probably use a sling to carry the blower, I should probably pack it and see if that helps.)

Since all the leaves are down in one falling this year I'm done! Looks like saw rebuilds until it's snow season.

9-Year Update:

(5-year update)
(3-year update)
(2-year update)
(1-year update)
(initial purchase October 2014)
(RedMax EBZ8500RH / Husqvarna 580 differences)

The RedMax EBZ8500RH (also sold as a Husqvarna 580) two-stroke backpack blower (recommended here as the most powerful backpack blower at the time) still starts and runs like new. I tore it down this past Fall for cleaning/inspection and it's clean, though STIHL HP Ultra oil mixed 32:1 is too rich and robs power. 40:1 (instead of 50:1 in the owner's manual) seems fine. Fuel is U.S. octane rating 91, fresh and ethanol-free when possible.

The even older STIHL KombiSystem got a tuneup and is in over-all great shape, though one muffler bolt rusted and therefore the muffler cannot be removed without currently unnecessary repairs. The blower attachment is still doing okay with what seems to be slightly loose bearings, and other than the fan vibrating a bit everything is working fine. The chainsaw and string trimmer attachments were completely serviced and are in great shape. I did add an Echo High Capacity Speed-Feed 500 Trimmer Head (I do remove the guard when running this head), it's far better than the STIHL head. MaxPower 0.105" line seems to be a good balance of cutting and longevity. Also added 3-Tooth Steel Brush Cutter Blades, they work great. All the aluminum pole extensions are fine with no issues.

9-Year Update:

(5-year update)
(3-year update)
(2-year update)
(1-year update)
(initial purchase October 2014)
(RedMax EBZ8500RH / Husqvarna 580 differences)

The RedMax EBZ8500RH (also sold as a Husqvarna 580) two-stroke backpack blower (recommended here as the most powerful backpack blower at the time) still starts and runs like new. I tore it down this past Fall for cleaning/inspection and it's clean, though STIHL HP Ultra oil mixed 32:1 is too rich and robs power. 40:1 (instead of 50:1 in the owner's manual) seems fine. Fuel is U.S. octane rating 91, fresh and ethanol-free when possible.

The even older STIHL KombiSystem got a tuneup and is in over-all great shape, though one muffler bolt rusted and therefore the muffler cannot be removed without currently unnecessary repairs. The blower attachment is still doing okay with what seems to be slightly loose bearings, and other than the fan vibrating a bit everything is working fine. The chainsaw and string trimmer attachments were completely serviced and are in great shape. I did add an Echo High Capacity Speed-Feed 500 Trimmer Head (I do remove the guard when running this head), it's far better than the STIHL head. All the aluminum pole extensions are fine with no issues.
I have had a Husky 580 about the same amount of time. It has a pile of hours on and has only needed a air filter clip.
One thing with the 580/8500 is the carbs are set extremely lean. To the point they can get very hard to start in cold weather and they will run poorly with lower oil ratios than 50:1. Adjust the carbs and they run way better than stock settings even at 32:1. They also start better.
The carb appears to not be adjustable, but it has a HS screw that's accessed through the carb barrel valve and the LS is under a limited cap on the side of the carb.

I have had a Husky 580 about the same amount of time. It has a pile of hours on and has only needed a air filter clip.
One thing with the 580/8500 is the carbs are set extremely lean. To the point they can get very hard to start in cold weather and they will run poorly with lower oil ratios than 50:1. Adjust the carbs and they run way better than stock settings even at 32:1. They also start better.
The carb appears to not be adjustable, but it has a HS screw that's accessed through the carb barrel valve and the LS is under a limited cap on the side of the carb.
That's where they are! Thank you.
Do you have a shop manual? I am fairly sure I don't have one.

Interesting. I don't seem to have this issue on my 580....and I even poked larger holes in the muffler to let it breathe better too. I run 32:1 as well. Doesn't matter what outside temp is, I prime it, give it very little throttle just off idle, set full choke, pull once, then put half choke and it fires right up. Every time. Been working this way for close to 10 years.

I have a service bulletin on how to adjust them that I found online.

I'll have to look for that.

Interesting. I don't seem to have this issue on my 580....and I even poked larger holes in the muffler to let it breathe better too. I run 32:1 as well. Doesn't matter what outside temp is, I prime it, give it very little throttle just off idle, set full choke, pull once, then put half choke and it fires right up. Every time. Been working this way for close to 10 years.

I'll have to look for that.
Each machine is a bit different, but my Husky 580 and Redmax 8000 were both that way.
After a little tuning they start easy.

I have the Stihl 800. We do about 12 acres in the fall blowing leaves away in the pecan orchard. You’d better hold on. The pine straw guys use it now instead of raking.

I just like to keep it simple. I hear the bugs have been worked out of the BR600, but I also hear that Stihl is doing away with their 4-mix trimmers and going to a strato engine.
Unfortunately besides the bugs, Stihl has worked out their roller-bearing wrist pins on all of their backpack blowers, in favor of a plain-bearing design! Why would they go this route? Please, somebody, prove me wrong!

Unfortunately besides the bugs, Stihl has worked out their roller-bearing wrist pins on all of their backpack blowers, in favor of a plain-bearing design! Why would they go this route? Please, somebody, prove me wrong!
It would seam like that is a step in the wrong direction as plain bearings are less reliable with poor lubrication as found in a total loss system. It must work for them.
Honestly the 4mix is such an abortion that I wouldn't consider owning one. It takes the worst trades of a two cycle and combines them with the worst trades of a four cycle.

Here i am still using my whimpy 2015 Echo PB-250LN blower for commercial work. Only had to replace the muffler and rebuild the carburetor twice.
Still going strong blowing off sidewalks, driveways and headstones / markers in the cemeteries every week.

Latest posts

Back