What's the best mid range saw for firewood? what do you prefer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MS 390 w/18 bar/RSC chain/muffler mod :chainsaw:
I'm still on the fence about the Muffler mod and M-tronic on the 661. Seemed the last mod thread I found on the 661 went off topic in a bad way. OP ended up deleting all his test vids.

What CC is that engine?

I stumbled onto this post due in part to fat finger syndrome. and well. My question...

for mostly <40" trunks.
A used / new 361 044. 440. 441. 046. 460. 461. Ms/mag. Or now realizing a 660" with a 18" is a seemingly acceptable option. :). Wow

Fire wood making saw. Like the pro options. 390 s are fine but like the upgraded pro set up for weight to pwr ratio
All ash oak maple. Have a ms260 for limbs and p85 for a mill
Which of he above saws for felling and bucking/"cord making" is best suited? 60cc. 70cc. 76cc n Why. Thank you for your time.

WTF,,We run 16" bars on all our MS201TC's and 540xp's,,
I would not put a 18" bar on a 660,
pardon me, but that is stupid.
30" bar and that saw kicks a$$,,
28" bar and you are going home early,
18" bar and that saw will have a short life, :cool:
Jeff

Jeff, how about a 25" or 20" on a 661. I see lots of pros in germany and other countries using the 20" 661 combo.

I'm still on the fence about the Muffler mod and M-tronic on the 661. Seemed the last mod thread I found on the 661 went off topic in a bad way. OP ended up deleting all his test vids.

What CC is that engine?
64cc and is pretty stout without a mod...I keep saying I'm going to sell it, but....;)

Jefflovstrom,
Guessing - cause I never inquired - that the guy running the 660/18" -42" bars may have increased from a 7 to an 8 pin or 9??? Is that possible. Move n links faster. Not sure.

But...
To be completely honest i think there was some good natured bragging going on. (cut for five mins , stack for 35???).

Heck, i cant imagine 7 -8 hp on firewood duty but some people sound like they're rippn bark left n right with 20's

Skygear,
In MN area Four 066/660's sold on CL in the past couple mos with a 20" bar or 20" and a larger bar combo. One just SOLD today from the Monticello area. ($900)
I have an old lumbering p85 on a 22" that runs well but that doesn't compare to what a modern 660 would do I wouldn't think

Happy saw'n

64cc and is pretty
stout without a mod...I keep saying I'm going to sell it, but....;)

Sounds like its a keeper... A kick in the pants is bad. But when you are kickn yourself it really sucks.
I Continue to see the 391 sittn on the store shelf. Then I see the 362 And.,,, I've walked away- many times... Both can run a 25" I think. Maybe a 32" skip,
Or no?

Stovepipe, that was me bragging. I get my kids involved in the stacking. It really is ripping through bark.

On the selling of the preowned, That makes me happier in my investment of 1k for a 661 $100 difference and I get to break it in. Plus its the latest version.

ReggieT, reads like a keeper. We keep until we outgrow them. Hasn't happened yet.

Although, I keep selling my fridge freezer. I have a 12v/ 120v fridge in the truck. As soon as anyone sees it, they ask about pricing, then I get offered cash on the spot. I just go and buy the damn thing over again and pocket 100 or so each time. Its the little things that make the whole tree cutting process enjoyable/tolerable.

Husky 372xp i got the 20" and 28" bar 346xp with 16" bar. For firewood and regular tree work

Coming full circle... The first thread I read through here months backwas the 50cc/70-75cc saw combo. Buy pro level if the $ works out.

I'm liking the upgraded dogs to keep the log clear of the front of the the saw and for the incressed bitting ability. A 28" bar would equal about 24 inches of reach I'm thinking then. And a 20" bar only produces maybe 16" of usable chain

Somewhat unrelated...
Local CL posted ad had a 066 running a .404" on a 20" and a 3/8" chain riding a 28" bar.

searchtempest.com is awesome for finding deals. Not always the most up to date by the minute. but it finds most everything. Plenty of options there for saws.

and as for the thread's topic:

best? :rolleyes: it's like what is the best steak?, best French fries? what is the best beer? etc. I like parts of all of the general comments mentioned here. of course, what is best for one firewood operation may not be the best ideal for another. the commercial firewood operation may be also a commercial arborist and runs his saws all day, every day. then again, there is the homeowner type cutting up firewood for personal use. and then again, there is the homeowner type who goes out into the bush and cuts and gathers lots of wood for firewood. nothing wrong with extra power, but is it the best? there are so many variables that can come into play to answer a question such as you are asking. for a lot of firewood cutting often a bigger saw can help speed up the job. I think 3 factors certainly could influence what is best for someone. a) intended plans for use (needs) b) saw weight c) budget.

speaking from 20 years of oak wood cutting and firewood making experience using mainly 2 saws... my Stihl 019T and my Stihl 026, I would say this. I probably have used my 019T more than my 026. i cut a lot of wood. the dealer referred to the 019T as a limb trimmer and the 026 as a workhorse. I have found that the 019T is a small dynamo of a saw. I often cut downed limbs up to 10-12" even bigger at times with it with ease. issue is how sharp do u keep the chain? that lil saw has constantly impressed me. so, with it being 46.5 cc and 2.5 hp (approx.) a mainline saw in this size will or could be best for certain types of mid range firewood work. depends on size of log and how long you will be operating it. (daily use, heavy, light or sporadic) I would not like to run it all day! but for a couple of hours or so making firewood chunks to split... it is great. I like Stihl so I would say depending upon budget and need... a saw of this size could be a best saw quite capable of mid range work. the 026 has been my 'go to' saw for larger trunks and limbs. it comes in at 48.7 cc with about 3.2 hp. I have used this saw for much of a day and found it to be comfortable to operate. with a sharp chain it will go to town! chain size would be important, too... I can run .325 or 3/8ths. it weighs 11 lbs or so... the gear you wear will matter too, imo.

to me how one sources the stock for firewood would matter too, and influence saw size. certainly type of wood would be a factor also. operator size would play an important role, also. and what you want out of a saw also comes into play for what is 'best'. for one guy, as an example, a 1/2 T pickup V6 suits him well. for another a 1T dually V-10 is the way to go. plans for use, capacity and budget all come into play for each to get the 'best'. full time firewood making for sale, or nice equipment to make firewood wood for home use? new or used? and I would want to also consider the type of splitter being used too. as to saws, there are 3-4 very good, popular brands out in the marketplace. each has their own following. for most firewood making as in getting down and doing some work, ie, making chips... and on a budget I would say 3.5 -5 hp 45 to 50 cc's. used and in good running condition usually means about 1/2 or so of new saw prices. if it starts and runs good, a quick look into the exhaust port will tell u a lot about how it has been used and cared for. in general, a carb kit install is simple to do, most used usually need one or could use one do to age of pulse fuel pump, metering valve, seats, etc. bigger budget, bigger guy... select accordingly.

well, in any event... no doubt whatever buy decision you make you will want it to be an informed one. hope this provides some information that at least for me has been time tested and may possibly be of help to you. let us know what you decide upon if your plans do suggest you buy a new chain saw. I wonder how helpful this thread will prove to be for you in the decision you finally make? :)

I saw in your signature a 24" bar on your sithl 026. Is it a skip chain set up? Seems like alot of bar for 3.5hp-(special duty?)

Asking questions cause I know I haven't all the answers.
I appreciated many of the post here. They allowed me to find the right 50 cc saw for my needs (ms260)- very happy with the pro level pwr to weight.

I saw in your signature a 24" bar on your sithl 026. Is it a skip chain set up? Seems like alot of bar for 3.5hp-(special duty?)

Asking questions cause I know I haven't all the answers.
I appreciated many of the post here. They allowed me to find the right 50 cc saw for my needs (ms260)- very happy with the pro level pwr to weight.

regarding my 026... no, it is a regular stihl chain and bar. .325/50 i think it is. the saw, powerhead and bar/chain was configured by my dealer... back when i din't know dif from 026 or 044 anything! lol. I wanted a saw for work in country... and he suggested I get a limber and a 'workhorse!', too. the limber is a 019T. I think he made good choices. both have proved beyond any issue... their mettle!! :) as you have stated, that size saw by stihl is quite a saw! as many here will comment... given a saw runs well... level one best tip is: keep chain sharp! I sharpen my own 'in-house' ;) nothing quite like a fresh, sharp chain... ceptn' maybe a fresh, sharp chain... and a load of fresh, non-E pre-mix gasoline, too! :)

the 24" bar/chain has never been any sort of slouch in the wood work I do. I mostly buck oak into chunks, split, stack... and get on with the day! to me a lot of a 'working saw' is in technique and how it is used. while I like modded saws, I see no reason for me to worry about cutting a 24" round off a felled log in 18.6 seconds... vs. 23.9 seconds... I mean WTF - even 30.3 seconds works just fine for me!!! lol :laughing:

also, I think 3.5 hp is a lot of power... there are plenty with more, of course, but... even for this backyard lumberjack... my 026 with its factory hp... more than gets the job done for me... and in fine fashion!

thanks for your inquiry. hope u continue to enjoy your MS260 as much as I have enjoyed using and owning my 026 ;)

I would not put a bar under 28" on a 661.
Jeff
I rarely, if ever see more than a 20" on 066, 660 saws around here. Heard of a arborist that runs 661's with 18-20" bars on every saw and the only guys around m me running 28" bars are firewood wood guys with 50-70cc saws.

So what is the problem with a smaller bar on a 90cc saw?

I think it's a waste carrying that much weight around for that size bar but that is the preferred setup locally

I rarely, if ever see more than a 20" on 066, 660 saws around here. Heard of a arborist that runs 661's with 18-20" bars on every saw and the only guys around m me running 28" bars are firewood wood guys with 50-70cc saws.

So what is the problem with a smaller bar on a 90cc saw?

I think it's a waste carrying that much weight around for that size bar but that is the preferred setup locally

Burn it up ,, I don't care,,
a 661 with a baby bar is stupid,
Jeff

regarding my 026... no, it is a regular stihl chain and bar. .375/50 i think it is. the saw, powerhead and bar/chain was configured by my dealer... back when i din't know dif from 026 or 044 anything! lol. I wanted a saw for work in country... and he suggested I get a limber and a 'workhorse!', too. the limber is a 019T. I think he made good choices. both have proved beyond any issue... their mettle!! :) as you have stated, that size saw by stihl is quite a saw! as many here will comment... given a saw runs well... level one best tip is: keep chain sharp! I sharpen my own 'in-house' ;) nothing quite like a fresh, sharp chain... ceptn' maybe a fresh, sharp chain... and a load of fresh, non-E pre-mix gasoline, too! :)

the 24" bar/chain has never been any sort of slouch in the wood work I do. I mostly buck oak into chunks, split, stack... and get on with the day! to me a lot of a 'working saw' is in technique and how it is used. while I like modded saws, I see no reason for me to worry about cutting a 24" round off a felled log in 18.6 seconds... vs. 23.9 seconds... I mean WTF - even 30.3 seconds works just fine for me!!! lol :laughing:

also, I think 3.5 hp is a lot of power... there are plenty with more, of course, but... even for this backyard lumberjack... my 026 with its factory hp... more than gets the job done for me... and in fine fashion!

thanks for your inquiry. hope u continue to enjoy your MS260 as much as I have enjoyed using and owning my 026 ;)

I ran my ms261 (.325/16")on Sat for two hrs. I ran an old 85 cc partner for a half hour and my "firewood saw" for a half hour(both3/8"-20").
I like the sports car feel of the 261 but I might enjoy a diesel chainsaw(stupid-I know). I really enjoy the torque of the bigger saws and not needing to be right there (on the power curve)feeling like Im twisting the life out of a 50 cc saw. Many here on these threads consistantly praise alot of smaller cc saws that take a lick n and keep on ticking. 026/260/261 included.
I really like the saw for whats it does (in its tiny package) at this point I would rather take a torq'r into my woods /ravine. Lay it on the log and let it pound. (Grass might appear greener in other pastures- be careful of painted pastures :)

Thanks for fillin me in on your 026. I truly enjoy the perspective-i just figured you were 6'3"+ and it was your answer to low limbs. Happy cutting!

I run my 066 big bore muffler mod with 25 inch bar in eucalyptus all the time. It was my only saw for over a year tell I got my 009l rebuilt the other day. I rarely run the 36 inch bar no it unless I have some big trees to fall. it has held up fine the last year scence I had it its cut about 65 cords of firewood

I ran my ms261 (.325/16")on Sat for two hrs. I ran an old 85 cc partner for a half hour and my "firewood saw" for a half hour(both3/8"-20").
I like the sports car feel of the 261 but I might enjoy a diesel chainsaw(stupid-I know). I really enjoy the torque of the bigger saws and not needing to be right there (on the power curve)feeling like Im twisting the life out of a 50 cc saw. Many here on these threads consistantly praise alot of smaller cc saws that take a lick n and keep on ticking. 026/260/261 included.
I really like the saw for whats it does (in its tiny package) at this point I would rather take a torq'r into my woods /ravine. Lay it on the log and let it pound. (Grass might appear greener in other pastures- be careful of painted pastures :)

Thanks for fillin me in on your 026. I truly enjoy the perspective-i just figured you were 6'3"+ and it was your answer to low limbs. Happy cutting!

what r the odds? someone would read a profile's information and then question a saw and bar length? slim to none is my bet! but glad u did. :) I decided to go see exactly what chain I had... dint want to be accused of passing out bum gouge... lol.... and noted a new chain sitting on bench. in box. .325/20". hmm, not for my 019T's picco... hmm, 20"? must be for the 026!! :rolleyes: so I had to go and look further, with light in hand. at the saw. had looked at saw before, thot it said 24", paint was worn, dark in case and no glasses on... but tonite with better eyeing see my 026 uses a 20" bar! :surprised3: .235/20". so live n learn, I say. omg, now I must I confess to being wrong! dang, and yr only 1/6th over... lol... I bet everybody knew it but me!!!!

:innocent:

Back