What's the best mid range saw for firewood? what do you prefer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what r the odds? someone would read a profile's information and then question a saw and bar length? slim to none is my bet! but glad u did. :) I decided to go see exactly what chain I had... dint want to be accused of passing out bum gouge... lol.... and noted a new chain sitting on bench. in box. .325/20". hmm, not for my 019T's picco... hmm, 20"? must be for the 026!! :rolleyes: so I had to go and look further, with light in hand. at the saw. had looked at saw before, thot it said 24", paint was worn, dark in case and no glasses on... but tonite with better eyeing see my 026 uses a 20" bar! :surprised3: .235/20". so live n learn, I say. omg, now I must I confess to being wrong! dang, and yr only 1/6th over... lol... I bet everybody knew it but me!!!!

:innocent:

Laughter is the key to youthfulness I figure.

I am caught... I was check n out your list of goodies.

I run my 066 big bore muffler mod with 25 inch bar in eucalyptus all the time. It was my only saw for over a year tell I got my 009l rebuilt the other day. I rarely run the 36 inch bar no it unless I have some big trees to fall. it has held up fine the last year scence I had it its cut about 65 cords of firewood

So, $$$ aside, i have set my sites on a low hr used 046/460 /461 or new461.

Reliability/pwr/weight/

Many positive responses to this as the saw that fits my criteria on the stihl line up. Great. But i saw another ms660 on CL again tonight. $450 pho. Seemed in good shape. Not busted up. I don't need a saw in each cc range but dang. It seems like there are alot of 90cc saws making stacks for normal guys.

I should check that 660 out...

So, $$$ aside, i have set my sites on a low hr used 046/460 /461 or new461.

Reliability/pwr/weight/

Many positive responses to this as the saw that fits my criteria on the stihl line up. Great. But i saw another ms660 on CL again tonight. $450 pho. Seemed in good shape. Not busted up. I don't need a saw in each cc range but dang. It seems like there are alot of 90cc saws making stacks for normal guys.

I should check that 660 out...
Yeah there sure does. I use to have a 391 it was perfect for the stuff I usually cut but got into some big tree last winter we were taking out around a field of our. Trees over 6 ft at stump and that 391 was way out of its league. Found a 066 on eBay modded with big bore kit 36 inch bar for $650 just rebuilt so I bought it. Best decisions I ever made. Never ran the 391 after that the 066 was so much faster. I sold the 391 to a guy down that road for $475

Missed on the 660. But yeah. Just the idea of run n a 25" firewood saw and a 32+" bar for big rippn

Saw a $900 masterminded 362 on the AS post here too. Guess n 5.5hp+ That would tear with a 20"

Some day... A guy can dream..., right?

Missed on the 660. But yeah. Just the idea of run n a 25" firewood saw and a 32+" bar for big rippn

Saw a $900 masterminded 362 on the AS post here too. Guess n 5.5hp+ That would tear with a 20"

Some day... A guy can dream..., right?
Yup you sure can always have to have a dream. 362 mastermind would be a awsome saw wonder how fast it would be compared to the 066 I have with a 8tooth

Yup you sure can always have to have a dream. 362 mastermind would be a awsome saw wonder how fast it would be compared to the 066 I have with a 8tooth
After 8-10 hrs...? Not sure. Might average out faster 066 but lighter 362 faster back"into the wood". Fun comparision. Any good reason to be outside is good enough for me.

I had figured as much. Run the extra pin for faster chain travel on those bigg cc saws but wasn t sure

I run a ported 385xp and a ms440 as my main saws i switch it up sometimes but not often

I run a ported 385xp and a ms440 as my main saws i switch it up sometimes but not often
Thats move n some chips with two saws

Hold n out for that diamond in the rough ms461 or 46

Do you run an extra tooth on you drive on the shorter bars?

Thats move n some chips with two saws

Hold n out for that diamond in the rough ms461 or 46

Do you run an extra tooth on you drive on the shorter bars?
i run a 7 pin on the 28 and 36 and step it up to a 8 for the 20 the 440 i keep a 7 on it all the time

i run a 7 pin on the 28 and 36 and step it up to a 8 for the 20 the 440 i keep a 7 on it all the time
CL - blaine mn,
2year old 461 ran as part of a fleet of saws for home firewood- lightly used, Missed it... $450. Everything else up here seems to be completely beat for $450 -$550 or nearly new and for new price

A couple husky s have shown up 372xp for $650. Good machines i m sure

Did find a dealer willing to go 10% off on a 461r But it'll still be over 1k- thats a tough sell for the Mrs.

Whats your take on modern husky vs stihl? Looking at your list of saws you're back n forth.

After the husky port job what performance changes did you notice? (obviously a hp bump).

I noticed more hp and torque. I can notice a definite increase in low end torque and throttle response. My saw has a heavy woods port and's 215-218 psi. I highly recommend a ported saw.

Maybe a couple months late on this but....The Echo CS-590 is the best bang for the buck. I didn't even need another saw but I couldn't pass it up at $399. 60cc with 20" 3/8 B&C. Wow, it's a good performer in that medium class. Well built easy to work on. Starts very quick.

Maybe a couple months late on this but....The Echo CS-590 is the best bang for the buck. I didn't even need another saw but I couldn't pass it up at $399. 60cc with 20" 3/8 B&C. Wow, it's a good performer in that medium class. Well built easy to work on. Starts very quick.[/QUOT

Appreciate the input

In the garage sits a very clean ms460 mag w/25" 3/8" now. I checked the cylinder No scoring put the dual port muff cover on and a little fatter on the screw.

Only 5 mins of cutting so far.

He'd by running a 16" bar on a 66 with a 8 pin sprocket please explain how that will burn the saw up???
You can't judge a persons decision without know the circumstances.

My 66 has bars ranging from 16"-42" then my 88 has bars from 42"-84".
Yes I do have smaller saws an old 036 201tcm ms170. But for cutting dead dry Aussie hardwoods these saws don't cut it and it will kill them.

These best firewood saw is the best saw setup that can justify the dollars for at that given time.

Back