What's the best mid range saw for firewood? what do you prefer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He'd by running a 16" bar on a 66 with a 8 pin sprocket please explain how that will burn the saw up???
You can't judge a persons decision without know the circumstances.

My 66 has bars ranging from 16"-42" then my 88 has bars from 42"-84".
Yes I do have smaller saws an old 036 201tcm ms170. But for cutting dead dry Aussie hardwoods these saws don't cut it and it will kill them.

These best firewood saw is the best saw setup that can justify the dollars for at that given time.
I agree cutting eucalyptus a differnt ball game had a 391 and had to get rid off it the 066 big bore and ported with 25 inch bar will lug it the 391 had no chance of lasting

I agree cutting eucalyptus a differnt ball game had a 391 and had to get rid off it the 066 big bore and ported with 25 inch bar will lug it the 391 had no chance of lasting
I believe the closest thing I can associate to the material you guys see is this areas slow growth Bur Oak and Nothern Ash. Hard, High BTU, stuff. But maybe not even close to what some of you deal with.

I continue to check in and realize I have very little experiance to share of "real cutting experiance". I truly cut for relaxation, management and being outside (its what my dad and I did)

I admire the work that everyday people put in and I am thankful areas likevthis exist to help those of us not so much in the know but are willing to listen, Learn and make appropriate decisions.

as was stated two replys before. Appropriate saw appropriate price for a given situation. = personal preference.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Perfection is unachievable. Yatta, yatta, yatta.

If not simply for selfish reasons, I call this success.

Missed on the 660. But yeah. Just the idea of run n a 25" firewood saw and a 32+" bar for big rippn

Saw a $900 masterminded 362 on the AS post here too. Guess n 5.5hp+ That would tear with a 20"

Some day... A guy can dream..., right?
Better yet, get a Masterminded 044

Better yet, get a Masterminded 044
How bouts a Masterminded ms460?

Right or wrong, And throughing all "saw plans" out the window.
I think this 460 could be my only saw if it came to that. (90% -ground 10%-top handle work-have to hire that out then)

I skipped over the 044. But its reputation has me aware of the posted ads locally and here at AS. An 044would most certainly put my Homelite out to pasture except for 70's Vintage runs.
For now...
No funds + running saw = browsing

What's the best saw and why do you think that? Also what's a good firewood saw?

If you value your time, get the largest saw you can afford. They are so much faster, you just get more done. They weigh more, but when bucking up firewood, the weightwo isn't much of an issue. I use a 661c and have a 261 back up. I've also spent a fair bit of time on an older 046. The newer 661c is really nice.

I would say it all depends on you, your cutting habits now and how and what you will be cutting in the future.
I bought a Stihl MS291 because of three things. It's a 55.5cc saw that's light enough to use all day for limbing and blocking most sized logs. I also have a Stihl 044 so didn't need a saw 60cc or over.
Plus it was on sale for $75 dollars off and dealer threw in a case, extra injector oil and a scabbard and gloves and hand files. It was the affordability that made it the one too. $550 CAD all in with tax.
In other words it was the best saw for me at the time.

Latest posts

Back