Whats the deal with these knock offs and how do they get away with it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They get away with it for 2 reasons. 1st, the Chinese specialize in industrial espionage and theft.These saws come into this country disassembled so they’re considered parts, not saws and don’t have to pass EPA regs. 2nd, because there’s a small % of buyers with absolutely no conscience or morals. They only care about $$. Just like drugs, as long as there is a market there will be a seller.

They get away with it for 2 reasons. 1st, the Chinese specialize in industrial espionage and theft.These saws come into this country disassembled so they’re considered parts, not saws and don’t have to pass EPA regs. 2nd, because there’s a small % of buyers with absolutely no conscience or morals. They only care about $$. Just like drugs, as long as there is a market there will be a seller.
They can make them because the patent has expired. They are built in China and shipped assembled. You can buy parts kits also. They are breaking no laws.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

They don’t pass EPA regs . If sold assembled they’re illegal. Just because nobody’s been prosecuted yet doesn’t change the law. Ask the companies who sold diesel delete kits.
They don't have to pass epa. They have all their bases covered.

Whats the deal with these knock offs and how do they get away with it?

Because there are two camps of thought- those that find it highly immoral and those that think they are the best thing since sliced bread and get an erection from owning what is kind of like Stihl they want to own, but are too tight fisted to hand over the cash needed to own the Stihl they want.
Those in the first camp- would like to see these things disappear from the face of the Earth.
Those in the second- think they are as good as the original models the patent dates have expired on.

The sellers get away with it because there is a market demand from the second campers.
No demand, no supply, no sales.

They can make them because the patent has expired. They are built in China and shipped assembled. You can buy parts kits also. They are breaking no laws.

Yeah Well, MT Resident, didn't break any laws in taking the wood that someone else left behind in a National Forest, and the backlash He received was Unbelievable and uncalled for, and this is much more Immoral, yet no Backlash????

Doug :cheers:

Yeah Well, MT Resident, didn't break any laws in taking the wood that someone else left behind in a National Forest, and the backlash He received was Unbelievable and uncalled for, and this is much more Immoral, yet no Backlash????

Doug :cheers:
That dude’s a cut throat with no morals, just like China is.

All these filthy people should be taken to the woodshed. Screw China, and screw people that seize the opportunity to benefit off of someone else’s hard work without permission.

The photos of the factory look WAY nicer than I'd have guessed.

Wonder if the plastic bits are any good?

I bought a dozen flippy "Stihl" caps once, ended up throwing them out. They sealed slightly better than just stuffing a rag in the fill hole.

I am not defending the Chinese in any way. There quality does not come close to German quality. I am defending the US patent laws. When they expire, it is a good thing. Do any of you guys take generic medicine? I take it every day, before it became available, I had to pay $75 a month for the name brand because no one else was allowed to make it. Now I pay $10. It's the same with everything. When Colt's patent expired on the 1911, lots of fun companies started making them. I have an original Colt from the early 90s. I also have a Ruger sr1911. The Ruger is far and away a better gun. When I bought the Ruger, it was $750, the Colts were priced at $1000. RIA is making some for less than $500. This has forced Colt to improve their quality and lower their prices. So I see nothing immoral about it as long as all laws are followed.

EPA should be doing their job, not pissing around with small engine regulations.

They should be doing something about chemical farming, for one thing. Now there's a mess that needs to be cleaned up. Idiots.

If EPA didn't force manufacturers into building ever more complex things, perhaps prices could stay at a point where the Chinese competition would simply not be attractive.

the EPA misdirects the public's focus from where the real problems lie.

yikes! I didn't know there were such strong feelings! not planning on buying one, just caught my eye..never been a store brand fan. and as to the ruger SR 1911 being an improvement over the colt..I whole heartedly agree. in fact I think mine has it well over the Kimber match 1911 my friend paid about 1700 for

EPA should be doing their job, not pissing around with small engine regulations.

They should be doing something about chemical farming, for one thing. Now there's a mess that needs to be cleaned up. Idiots.

If EPA didn't force manufacturers into building ever more complex things, perhaps prices could stay at a point where the Chinese competition would simply not be attractive.

the EPA misdirects the public's focus from where the real problems lie.
chemical farming??? you a farmer??????

These clones are not all terrible, in many cases there is one part that causes a problem and makes them look bad. The ms440 kits have had bad rod bearings for a few months, a few tanks in it lunches. Ive seen 660 kits go 2 years regular milling and wear out rings but the piston and cyl are normal wear...its hit and miss, thats the gamble on a saw 1/4 the cost of the real thing

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Back