Whats the deal with these knock offs and how do they get away with it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah Well, MT Resident, didn't break any laws in taking the wood that someone else left behind in a National Forest, and the backlash He received was Unbelievable and uncalled for, and this is much more Immoral, yet no Backlash????

Doug :cheers:
He deserved every bit of backlash he got, That was a straight ********** unbelievable find.

Breeding pairs? Or just a companion situation? 15/2= 7.5, does that leave one saw out in the cold or is it actually a couple of poulans Lurking in the corner?

I do have a MS 270 that I will likely finish it off with a sledge hammer. My dad could not make it run so he told me to fix it, but did not want to buy any parts for it. I have put two OEM coils in it and still no spark. So I would never ever want another. Thanks

That's a point thats been beaten to death. I'm nearly pointing out that China isnt going anywhere. They arw capable of high quality, and low cheap junk. Buy what you think is the best, just realize theres plenty of "name brand" parts that are made in china. How they get away with ripping off a complete saw is for the lawyers to figure out.
That's the problem lawyers have nothing to do with it. Look how their patent system works. If they do not want to hear the case, so what.

So with some clicking around this site: Chinese knock off Stihl 090, 105cc for the total shipped price of............$91.43!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

None of the people getting all pissy would say a word if this was an echo or zenoah clone, that's a fact because there's plenty of threads here on those.
They are cloning Zenoas (Joncutter) and Echos now [emoji23]

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

So with some clicking around this site: Chinese knock off Stihl 090, 105cc for the total shipped price of............$91.43!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

090 was like 122cc

090 was like 122cc

090G (gear driven) is 106cc per stihl, and the 090 and 090 AV were 137cc (traditional direct drive)

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1533853/Stihl-090.html?page=38#manual
I was just going by whats listed on the chinese knock off website (105cc), so is their clone the gear driven version, or is it non gear driven but still 105(106cc)? Who knows I don't know these saws well , it was just the point that an 090 which goes for how much new from Stihl $$$$$$ you can get a clone of unknown accuracy and quality for Under $100 shipped.....and by reports of others with some of these chinese saws, sometimes are surprisingly good!

090G (gear driven) is 106cc per stihl, and the 090 and 090 AV were 137cc (traditional direct drive)

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1533853/Stihl-090.html?page=38#manual
I was just going by whats listed on the chinese knock off website (105cc), so is their clone the gear driven version, or is it non gear driven but still 105(106cc)? Who knows I don't know these saws well , it was just the point that an 090 which goes for how much new from Stihl $$$$$$ you can get a clone of unknown accuracy and quality for Under $100 shipped.....and by reports of others with some of these chinese saws, sometimes are surprisingly good!
I hear what your saying, i wonder sometimes though, surprisingly good isn’t very high praise compared to????

Oh gee, look its 1976 all over again! What am I talking about? I was a young kid in 1976 and spent a lot of time with my Grandpa who was a WWII vet.

Every Friday we would swing by the local VFW Hall for a cold beer and a chicken dinner, a game or two of cards and "story time".....

One Friday there was a Hell of commotion in the Hall!!! Seems as though someone had showed up in a JAPANESE CAR!!!! You might have thought that it was Pearl Harbor all over again! There were discussions of parentage, alienage and ass whippings had...

To this day I very much recall the conversations about "them cheap, crappy, little Jap cars...sure ain't gonna last or ride like my Dodge"....Uhuh...

My japanese toyota truck has 400k+ & still going strong... my dodge car has 160k, and won't make 200k without a complete overhaul. It was a city cop car, so it's had a rough life.
My dodge dakota pickup has a tick over 240k, and it's pretty much done.
My subaru has 130k ish & won't see 160k without another overhaul (that would make 3).

I was going to bring up how vilified Japanese products were in the 50's, 60's and 70's, but was beaten to it. I will buy nothing automotive that is not built in Japan...When Hundai and Kia first came out they were a joke, now make some nice stuff. I don't think much of the chainsaw parts I order from China are as good as OEM, but I couldn't afford to rebuild a saw for a price I could sell it for if these parts were'nt available.......I haven't tried out the complete clone saws or kits, but parts from China have worked out fine for me.

So without causing a fire storm, how is this different than a consumer buying a Chinese parts Poulan? I get these are bigger saws, but from the perspective of a guy who wants to cut down or cut up one or even a few big trees and who isn’t a collector or running a tree service 100 hours might be all that guy needs. It’s only a matter of displacement at that point.

So without causing a fire storm, how is this different than a consumer buying a Chinese parts Poulan? I get these are bigger saws, but from the perspective of a guy who wants to cut down or cut up one or even a few big trees and who isn’t a collector or running a tree service 100 hours might be all that guy needs. It’s only a matter of displacement at that point.
Alot of what your saying is true. The saw costs 400.00 dollars sorted out , say for the g660 and a cheap drop of a tree with no clean up is 800.00 ,then that saw plus another is paid for! After a couple of jobs you can really just about afford a stihl or husqvarna. For the homeowners its really a deal because of the infrequent use.
I know alot of people who love these saws and I think its mostly the few who do the most beeeawcthing (just my observation of watching the threads) . I see alot of people who are shop owners or professional repair techs also hate these saws and frankly I can't fault them, its gonna cut into potential sales and if you're a repair tech you really dont want to repair a saw without a manufacturer guarantee .
If you really want to feel better about it ,this is how I look at it China was an isolated communist country completely self sufficient, then they start cutting deals with us and getting hooked on the good old capitalism and sure they are monstrous but we're feeding them the drug of capitalism that they'll never be able to get off of again, I give them 30years and they'll be ruined.

Alot of what your saying is true. The saw costs 400.00 dollars sorted out , say for the g660 and a cheap drop of a tree with no clean up is 800.00 ,then that saw plus another is paid for! After a couple of jobs you can really just about afford a stihl or husqvarna. For the homeowners its really a deal because of the infrequent use.
I know alot of people who love these saws and I think its mostly the few who do the most beeeawcthing (just my observation of watching the threads) . I see alot of people who are shop owners or professional repair techs also hate these saws and frankly I can't fault them, its gonna cut into potential sales and if you're a repair tech you really dont want to repair a saw without a manufacturer guarantee .
If you really want to feel better about it ,this is how I look at it China was an isolated communist country completely self sufficient, then they start cutting deals with us and getting hooked on the good old capitalism and sure they are monstrous but we're feeding them the drug of capitalism that they'll never be able to get off of again, I give them 30years and they'll be ruined.
Give them another 30 years of receiving North American wealth for crap...
And we wouldn't have to worry about election fraud.
But you better be fluid in Manderine
My friend has his kids learning Manderine so they can plead for their parent's lives. Seriously.
And just where do you think the bulk of the money our governments are shoveling out the door comes from?We have no gold reserves anymore.Some day someone is going to ask for their money back! Then what?
I hope it takes 30 years for the **** to hit the fan,then i will not worry about it.

Customer came in with a 660 clone the other day. Front counter guy called me up to look at it, gave a quick once over asked the guy how much he paid for it, he said $350, I said that’s nice let me know when it burns up or the crank fails.
Whenever I’m breaking a real saw down to work on and see a Chinese carb or top end on it a small piece of me dies inside....

Has anyone who was going to legitimately buy a new Stihl from a dealer bought a clone instead, costing Stihl a sale? Seems like the people who are inclined to buy knockoff China junk would never buy a new saw at full price anyway. A used saw sure, but that's not costing Stihl a sale. The people who have a legit need and justification for paying full dealer price for a new saw aren't interested in Chinese chainsaw shaped toys. I'm sure there are exceptions but overall I really don't think these are costing Stihl any significant amount sales.

Latest posts

Back