What's you favorite "Beater Saw"???Pics?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy Bob Boy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello first post here....Been lurking over the years...Great information on this site.
Wondering what you throw in truck/tractor/atv/leave at camp saw is?
Power/weight and all that is nice,but..
I have a few nicer saws(autotunes,M-Tronic)but my most used saw is simple Makita 50cc.
It mostly gets used to cut up blow downs that fall in the road /trails and some firewood.
My first concern is theft and how it cuts secondly.It gets left in my toolbox in truck or with something thrown over it to hide it if I have to leave it at my old camp .Having a $4-5-6-7-+hundred saw kicking around in your truck or leaving somewhere is too much for me...Met a guy last year and someone took his 372 out of the back on his truck out in the "farm country".

My beater saw that stays in the truck is a little mac 310( i think thats the modle). My ugly duckling saw. Dont have anything into it other then new roller bearing for clutch drum. Baught 12 saws fr9m a gyy for 60 bucks. Sold all that i could and kept the ugly one and couple project ones.
Dont have pic of it. Maybe get one later.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

She ain’t pretty, but for $100 what do you want. I put a used piston and ring out of a 345. Gasket delete , opened up the muffler and a new fuel line. Runs and sounds like a muscle car. It will kick my ne’s azz. It’s my second fave after the 562

Attachments

• 4EB0C9BE-B415-4A54-B099-0919DAA99BA6.jpeg
    4EB0C9BE-B415-4A54-B099-0919DAA99BA6.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 107
  • 002DC2F6-F116-4B3B-AEE7-979E758FD8F3.jpeg
    002DC2F6-F116-4B3B-AEE7-979E758FD8F3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 97
I usually throw one of the 500s into the box on the truck at the start of hunting season.
489445f7e09d2dd393e84c31bfc347b7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have an 046 that lives in the work truck and doesn’t really see as much maintenance as it should and has lived a fairly difficult existence. Good saw, but it lives the life of a working saw. Probably won’t see much outside of blowing the air filter out as needed, maybe a spark plug if it starts running weird, and maybe tear it down and give it a good cleaning every six months or so. I tune it as needed. Not too much paint left on the magnesium and the plastics are faded. I did replace the nameplate and put an extra MAGUM sticker on it last month...

Did you take the jug to see a football game? Looks like it got too close to a #1 foam hand and you got some transfer.
That's not transfer sir, that's missing plating, and some strange flow lines. I'm assuming factory defect because I got it used, with plenty of carbon filling those pockets. It's mostly below the exhaust port roof so I figured why not, it had obviously ran like that before.

Heres my favorite beater when I got it. I picked it up from a local classifieds add for $20. It was as trashed as it gets. Had white spray paint all over it. It needed crank bearings and a top end.

dHqkOM6.jpg
mIDO6Kk.jpg

I rebuilt the bottom end and ordered a farmertec piston and cylinder for it. The cylinder was damaged (bent fins) while being shipped and hutzl refunded my money. I ported that free cylinder and slapped it on broken fins and all. I got about $80 into it.

The saw looks like hell but it cuts like it's going out of style!

2019012795154150.jpg 2019012795154156.jpg

Here is my new "beater", and it's probably my favorite saw! It's an 036/360. Had a pile of old parts, and just decided to make a saw out of the pile. I did order new OEM crank bearings, and put new OEM seals, caps,impulse, and fuel line in it. Didn't have any good top ends for it, so ordered a Meteor top end. Must have got lucky on the Meteor kit, cause it now makes 165 psi just after a few hours of run time. Nothing like a 'beater' saw! I throw it in the back of the truck with the wood after a Saturday in the woods and don't worry too much about it bouncing around. Prefer this saw to my nice clean pretty saws...

Back