ArboristSite.com Sponsors

What's your favorite hunting rifle??

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors!!!' started by Timberhauler, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Timberhauler

Timberhauler Addicted to ArboristSite

For me it depends on where I'm at.I have a custom built Remington M700 30/06 that seems to follow me wherever I go,and I guess it's one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned..With the Federal trophy bonded bear claw bullets,it shoots 1/2 inch four shot groups at 100 yards...I also do alot of hunting down in the lower part of this state on a soybean farm...300 yard shots are about average...I have the exact same rifle mentioned above in a 300 win.mag....It's just as accurate,but packs a punch on the shoulder which is why I seem to favor the 06 these days..What are your picks?

Austin1 and rb_in_va like this.
  2. HEAVY FUEL

HEAVY FUEL Addicted to ArboristSite

Grantsburg, WI, Gateway to the swamps of Minnesota
    TIKKA 25-06 26 inch heavy barrel

This is my all around shooting rifle. I wouldn't recommend it for carrying around, but if you are shooting crows or prairie dogs this thing will shoot long and flat without much winddrift. I stay between 75 to 100 grain bullets. I do use a shoulder pad when shooting for more than a couple hours with the 100 grain bullets. My other rifle is a Savage 17hrm. These things are a riot and make you feel like a sniper, unless its windy out then you can forget it. Happy hunting.

ropensaddle likes this.
  3. Timberhauler

I actually traded my 25/06 for that 300 winmag....I wished I hadn't it was a superb rifle..I plan to buy another someday.

4. hanniedog

hanniedog Addicted to ArboristSite

My brother had a 700BDL Varmint Special when we were kids. It was a 22/250 and would shread groudhogs with a 52 grain Speer hollowpoint. I had a 222 shooting same bullit very effective but not near the damage done by the22/250. As an all around varmint round the 22/250 has to be one of the best. In comparison does a 7mm kick like 30/06 or the 25/06. Saw a 250 lb. man shoot a 7mm and it really rocked him.

ropensaddle likes this.
  5. WadePatton

WadePatton ArboristSite Guru

My number one, go-to, under-any-conditions rifle is a Browning A-bolt in 30-06, synthetic with my own trigger mods. Three shots in .75 or less with 165 Hornadys or 165 Nosler Partitions over 54g of 414.

My favorite handling and best looking rifle, is a Remington Mountain Rifle (700) in .280. I refinished it with linseed oil and accurized it. It's a featherweight with super classic lines and decent walnut. Usually load it with Nosler 140 BT's.

My bruiser is a Ruger No. 1 Tropical in 375H&H. It's real purty and shoots great, but is like toting an armload of firewood around--a tad heavy. I'd love to have a turn-bolt 375. Probably will someday.

"Blooded" my 1894 Marlin (44mag) this past season with a little buck. That gun needs some more work. Just got it back together with new ejector and finish, but have some other issues to work on.

Have another handful of rifles in various states of repair, but that is my top three. The 44 isn't on the "fave" list yet.

Just got a 17HMR, but don't have much trigger time on it yet. I got mom the NEF version. I bought the Savage with Accutrigger.

Have a Bowen Nimrod .45 Colt that'll take a deer out someday. Working on getting a holster to fit it.

...don't get me talking about guns, or trucks, or fishing, or saws...:cool:

ropensaddle likes this.
  6. HEAVY FUEL

HEAVY FUEL Addicted to ArboristSite

Grantsburg, WI, Gateway to the swamps of Minnesota
    I would have gotten a 22/250 but EVERYONE in my group has one already. The 25/06 with 100 grain seems to do a lot better when we get out 400 plus yards but gets hot way faster. Now I need an AR-15 .223!!!! Maybe I can pick one up on the way home from getting the Dolmar 7900!!!! GIMMIE, GIMMIE, I NEED, I NEED!!!!!!!!!

7. windthrown

windthrown 361 Junkie

Call me an old timer...

I like my brother's Marlin 30-30 lever action. Lighter than a 30.06, and a lot easier on my shoulder than my British .303 Enfield. Easy to use and shoot. Good for deer, cougar and medium size game around here.

ropensaddle likes this.
  8. windthrown

windthrown 361 Junkie

.223?

An AR-15 .223? You will need the D-ring conversion to get it to fire right. I got it from my brother becasue it was not ejecting right. Looked online and found the solution from a guy that developed the D ring for the LA police department. Works like a champ now.

9. rahtreelimbs

rahtreelimbs A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs

Amoungst My Saws........Fool That Has Too Many!!!
    Tough One!!!

That is a tough one.........as I have a place for every rifle!!!

I have a Savage 99 (circa 1951) that belonged to my grandfather. My grandfather, my father and I all took our first deer with that rifle.

Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless in .270 Win........real tackdriver!

Ruger No.1 in .300 Win. Mag. Also real accurate..........single shots ajust plain cool!

Ruger 77 Compact in .308 Win........Real light and handy!

While not a rifle.........Mossberg 500 Synthetic Slug Gun

The .270......Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless

[​IMG]

.300 Win mag......Ruger No.1

[​IMG]

ropensaddle likes this.
  10. Korn

Korn ArboristSite Lurker

It would have to be my old savage model 112 in 22-250. My favorite groundhog gun.

11. okietreedude1

okietreedude1 ArboristSite Guru

Ive got a remington sendero in 7mm mag. With handloads, it will put 3 shots in 1 hole. It would probably do the same w/ more shots, but thats about the most i take to make sure the scope is still straight.

I had the trigger adjusted to 2#.

W/ the bipod on front, I feel like a sniper on the range.

ropensaddle likes this.
  12. 361kid

361kid ArboristSite Member

I'd have to say my ruger m77 .300 mag LH. Haven't had much trigger time with it yet but it is one helluva fun gun to shoot.;)

13. 046

046 Addicted to ArboristSite

custom Weatherby .270 currently wearing a 6x24 elite mildot scope. plain jane 4x unertl is going back on soon.

ropensaddle likes this.
  14. Timberhauler

I've also got a Browning A-bolt stalker in a 308.....I've also slashed a few deer with that one....It's a pleasure to shoot as well..

15. rahtreelimbs

I tried a Tikka T3 the other day..........nice rifle with an action as smooth as butter!!!

16. TimberPig

TimberPig ArboristSite Guru

Depends upon the 7mm. Short action cartridges like 7mm-08 and 7X57 are lighter, similar to a .25-06, .280's and .284's are slightly harder kicking, but still a bit lighter than a .30-06, then 7mm Remington or Weatherby magnums are a hair stiffer kicking than a .30-06, while larger 7mm mags like the STW or Ultra Mag are a fair bit stiffer depending upon the load.

As to my personal fave, that would have to be my Ruger M77 .30-06. Currently does everything I need it to, although I could drop down to a .25-06 for a deer gun, and still have plenty of power and a better trajectory for longer shots. A .338 Winchester mag, or a .340 Weatherby mag would be a nice moose/elk gun, especially since there's no shortage of grizzlies around here, especially in the best areas for these moose and elk. The .30-06 will do all of it, but the others will do it a little better, and who doesn't want a few more guns to play with :hmm3grin2orange:

17. rahtreelimbs

Just like saws!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

18. NYH1

NYH1 Tacticle Chainsaw Operator.

If I hunt in the woods where my shots will be under 100 yards I take my Marlin 336CS in 35 rem. If I'm hunting more open area where I might have take longer shots I use my Remington 700 Classic in 280 Rem. :cheers:

19. ASEMASTER

ASEMASTER ArboristSite Operative

sako

sako finnwolf 308 almost like new, mini14 223. highly modified by myself it drives tacks. tc 45 mag with trigger job.

guns like saws ,you don't collect them you just seem to aquire them.

20. Timberhauler

I listed my favorites that I use most of the time....I'm not sure how many rifles I am up to now.....But there is another one of my all time favorites...That .35 Rem is a awesome cartridge...I have used it on everything from deer,wild boar,and black bear.......It pack a helluva recoil though...Mine is a Marlin,and it has a 20 inch barrell,so there is not much weight to soak up recoil...I believe it kicks harder than my 30/06,but not quite as hard as my .300 mag..There is no recoil pad at all,so it hurts.