Whats your number?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Of trees you have cut down? Any idea? It got me thinking this year, with hundreds of ash trees dieing. I think I'm over 50 from fall to today. Been cutting for 7 years so idk howmany that is. These are all cutting from the ground. Cutting with the lean or with a rope against the lean. I've had a few errors and a couple duck and covers from cutting a tree up as it leans against another. I've been cutting a lot lately since I'm leaving work early due to the covid19.

Really have no idea, not even a guestimate. Been running a chainsaw for 29 years. My dad had hernia surgery in 1991 and bought me my first saw.

I know we removed close to 70 overly mature aspen from the 4.5 acres on my house lot alone. Those just being the "geriatric" trees that were in decline.

But in a day of clearing road right of ways I could easily cut over 100 trees. Granted they could range in diameter from two inches to greater than the bar length.

In a day of working together, @MustangMike and I cut over 40 trees that were all larger. A couple of those were wider than the 28" bar on his 046.

It's crazy to think about. Some people have never cut a tree and wouldn't think about it and others have cut more than they could possibly put a number on. I guess ask a mechanic how many cars they have fixed and you get the same answer. I couldn't say how many furnaces I've installed in the last 10 years but I'm sure it's more than 1000.

If you quantified it to certain specs it would be easier.

IE For me I’ve never dropped a whole tree over 40” and only a few over 30“. Many over 20” and hundreds over 15”.

I think four yrs now for anything big. The last big one twisted and came at me and crushed my saw.
I just about shat my pants.
I then bought truckloads of wood and they would ask why are you buying wood you got a lot of standing dead.
Unless it’s horizontal I ain’t messing with it.

With all this dead ash I had to take a lot down around my house that I wanted help with but I didnt get any. It sucks climbing the ladder, tieing the rope, pulling it tight, cutting and then pulling it tighter hoping the tree falls the right way before the rope breaks and hoping I cut it enough. That was like 10 trees in the last couple weeks since I've had a few short days. Then I clean it all up and stack it. I've got trees laying dead on the ground and some that I pulled out and haven't touched. Its unreal to see how many ash trees ive cut and how many hundreds more there are to cut.

I may have cut 40-50 lifetime and like several others I'm happy to cut trees that are already down. Won't bother me a bit if I don't have to take another standing tree. But I'm sure I will have to again at some point.

I would hate to guess how many trees I have cut in the 36 years I have owned farm ground. Haven't bought a farm yet that didn't need a ton of clean up. I was just out yesterday going over pasture and CRP ground cutting smaller cedars that keep starting and probably cut well over a hundred yesterday alone. The last two years because of a couple shoulder surgery's I haven't been running a chain saw much cutting firewood. I have been using the skid loader with a hyd saw to fall some trees for firewood. My two buddy's that help me do firewood have been falling and bucking the 20 cord we do a year for my Garn the last couple of years and I have been running the splitter.

If you quantified it to certain specs it would be easier.

IE For me I’ve never dropped a whole tree over 40” and only a few over 30“. Many over 20” and hundreds over 15”.
my best to date is 65 trees in a single day... that being a tree trunk bigger than 28" that the feller bunchier head couldn't fell ! dropping, easing the tops to squeeze between live standing growth in a selective cut. "PO/AS" was not the question of the day, biggest to date is still a 52" red oak at knee height 48" dbh.

This is what I have done since fall. It was mostly standing ash.
20200401_154007.jpg
All those logs and 3 piles about 20 feet wide over 6 feet high

20200401_153936.jpg

These logs were cut with my Corona hand saw.

20200401_153930.jpg

These 2 piles on the right are 25 feet long and over 5 feet high.

Usually I cut 3 cord this fall to now was about 3 times that.

Lord only knows. Last several yrs has been cleaning up logged woods. Some damaged trees have to be taken down, but mostly tops. I have turned down taking down good live trees some fool wants dn cause they are messy or they don't wanna rake. No im not a pro. Just a guy that cuts wood.

A bunch , at least a couple hundred probably more. I’ve been involved in two land development projects for friends building houses that required clearing acres of trees.
I can say that I’ve never cut a healthy tree down specifically for firewood .

Sound
I ran out of fingers and toes to count on back in the late 60's. We cut 5ft pulpwood back then. Went to work on the railroad in 76, but still helped dad on the weekends.
Sounds fun. There isn't much of a rail road around here but I always thought that would be a fun job, maintaining the tracks and such. I will say the older heavier saws seem to cut logs better with all that torque and weight.

Back