wheelbarrow vs 4 wheel cart

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirbuildalot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
For most big hauling jobs or long distances I use the tractor and trailer combo. For tight quarters around the woodlot and near the stacking piles I usually use a 2 wheeled wheelbarrow. I've debated getting one of these carts. This one is on the pricy side, but it looks pretty rugged, and I hate throw-away junk. Id rather spend $220 once than $80 or $90 multiple times. Plus it is big, so you could haul more than a wheelbarrow. As long as I could pull it. My wood processing area is pretty flat. The video shows it can also be pulled by a tractor or ATV at fairly high speeds. I also considered an upright firewood cart, but this would be more multipurpose.

Anyone have a similar cart? How do you like it vs a wheelbarrow?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200660586_200660586

Haven't used one that deluxe but they work pretty well. Any type of dip can cause a rollover though as the center of gravity is high.

Mom has one of those to move wood from their shed to the garage. I was surprised how tippy it actually is. It doesn't get loaded much higher than the sides. The Grand kids do not use that to ride down their drive way in either. It's solidly built, but tippy. She likes it though and is happy to not load it up too full, a guy in fair shape can get not quite double in a dual wheel barrow than what you can safely move in the cart without dumping it on a turn.

If you can find one, for me I found an older Deere, poly dump atv trailer. The tongue was bent all to heck so it was cheap. Cut off the tongue and put an old tongue jack that was laying around in it's place, think tripod. Found some old wheelbarrow handles, carriage bolted them to the side through the "stake" pockets with spacers in the pockets. Out the back, so it's a push down to move instead of lift to move. It's not a dumper anymore but it works, balances, hauls well and is very easy to move around.

Owl

We use a poly dump cart to transport wood from our pile to the house. I stack the thing at least the depth of the cart above the edge and never had any problems. I've also filled it full with gravel, hauled large boulders, block, etc. with no problems. After probably 3 or 4 years I having it, I need to replace a couple wheel bearing, but the thing takes a beating and gets hauled with the 4 wheeler and mowers too. I think ours is the 800 pound capacity dump cart from tractor supply. 1146953.jpg

TSC has one I saw made by Groundworks that is 34" wide x 52" long. Has 16" tires and. 1400 lb capacity. $149.99. Very similar to the Bannon I linked. It seems the tippy ones would be the narrow ones. 34" is as wide as a pull behind dump cart for a lawn tractor.

I have a 4 wheeled cart and 4 one wheeled wheelbarrows, 2 hand trucks, a big trailer and a small trailer plus my pickup and I use them all.
I'll start with the cart. It's handy for light loads and it will handle heaver loads but it's hard to pull by hand, even on flat ground. If you get one, look for one with solid tires or flat free tires. the pneumatic tires are prone to flats.
I prefer a one wheeled wheelbarrow over a 2 wheeled one. Flat free tires here are also much better.
I use the hand trucks to move around the rounds in my splitting area. Again solid tires work better. Also get one with the little fenders that cover the tries. It keeps snags from rubbing on the tire.
I use the trailer for larger loads and i also use my truck bed as well.
I pull the trailer with ether my truck or my tractor.
I almost never use the cart for wood hauling. It's to hard to pull with any kind of load on it. It works great for gardening and light work.

I use the 4 wheel cart over the wheel barrow 95% of the time. Have a 1400# one and it has never tipped.

Do a search for a Stein arborists cart .

Mighty Mouse Logging LLC

This?

2293.jpg

We do have one of the larger 4 wheeled carts from Menards.

2640027inuse.jpg

I also use a 5x10 utility trailer for pulling behind the tractor around the yard. But I am looking for a small, affordable running gear to use instead.

I've found that unless it's relatively flat ground, my small cart tips or wobbles and with the handle there isn't much counter action I can make. I have a larger 10 or 12 sq ft wheelbarrow which is easier for me to maneuver. In cold temperatures I just have to be careful of the brittleness of the plastic. If anything of larger volume needs to be moved I'll just use the pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A brick layers wheel barrow has single wheel, rack is flat on the bottom with 90* front riser. I put pipe clamps on the back edge to hold more when loading small splits. Great for shoulder season to bring just what is needed from the shed. Mine is home made from an old wheel barrow so the front slopes over the wheel.
1006101219.jpg 1006101220a.jpg

For most big hauling jobs or long distances I use the tractor and trailer combo. For tight quarters around the woodlot and near the stacking piles I usually use a 2 wheeled wheelbarrow. I've debated getting one of these carts. This one is on the pricy side, but it looks pretty rugged, and I hate throw-away junk. Id rather spend $220 once than $80 or $90 multiple times. Plus it is big, so you could haul more than a wheelbarrow. As long as I could pull it. My wood processing area is pretty flat. The video shows it can also be pulled by a tractor or ATV at fairly high speeds. I also considered an upright firewood cart, but this would be more multipurpose.

Anyone have a similar cart? How do you like it vs a wheelbarrow?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200660586_200660586
I have a cart similar to the one in your link. The difference I see is mine has a tierod steering setup, not a single pivot like the one in the link.
Like this.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/bond-garden-cart?cm_vc=-10005

My take on the cart is they are fairly flimsy feeling. I can stack it overflowing and move the wood fine but I'm always wondering when it's going to fall apart.

The sides of the cart are held with some clips and the metal bands the clips pass through are very thin. I also don't like the latches at the top of the collapsible sides as they never seem to stay hooked.

My other method of moving firewood in the house is with extra large wheel borrow that has dual front wheels. It holds almost as much as the 4 wheel cart.

We do have one of the larger 4 wheeled carts from Menards.

2640027inuse.jpg

I also use a 5x10 utility trailer for pulling behind the tractor around the yard. But I am looking for a small, affordable running gear to use instead.

This is the cart I use. It's the biggest one Menards sells. Works great. Little to no effort on the pull. Never tipped over. Very happy.

Yup

I built something similar it this summer and lent it to a friend that runs a small treeco to test , he sent me a text an hour into it's first job , said it was at least 4 time more efficient with half the work than any dolly or cart he's tried .

I've not seen it since lol

The Stein looks nice, but for $700, i'll pass. Maybe if I did it for a living I could justify the cost, but I don't, so I can't.

I made mine , Princess Auto which is the same as your Harbor Freight for a couple of tires and scrap steel and rebar for the rest .
Mine doesn't come apart like theirs but I've only got a half hour in re-engineering to a rolling cart with the stuff I had to work with .

IMG_20160901_193612.jpg

IMG_20160901_194049.jpg

Latest posts

Back