wheelbarrow vs 4 wheel cart

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't make the load heavy , center of gravity is low so it's quite stable , I'll use 1/2" or 3/4" square tubing for the next frame .
The cart makes sense after watching the vids , it's just another tool to add to the arsenal lol

It doesn't make the load heavy , center of gravity is low so it's quite stable , I'll use 1/2" or 3/4" square tubing for the next frame .
The cart makes sense after watching the vids , it's just another tool to add to the arsenal lol

I should have been more specific....

When pulling, it seems if the angle on the handle is to steep, you'll just be digging the front legs into the ground or it will require a fair bit of effort to balance it on the axle...

I should have been more specific....

When pulling, it seems if the angle on the handle is to steep, you'll just be digging the front legs into the ground or it will require a fair bit of effort to balance it on the axle...

Now I understand what you mean but no digging and it's pretty effortless .

Here's my setup. Two trips to the pile with both loaded like this and you're over a face cord.
IMG_20161227_222408533.jpg
IMG_20161227_222425910.jpg
And here is what I meant by the flimsy pins and collapsible sides. However, it does work well for the money. I haven't tried pulling it behind anything but it doesn't seem tippy.
IMG_20161227_223627368.jpg
IMG_20161227_223638361.jpg

For you guys that get tired of the cheap tires found on most wheel barrows I've switched to using road tires like found on boat trailers. I put on a pair a few months ago that are quite worn and put tubes in them. I'm careful though to not over air pressure the tires as the cheap wheels are not designed for the pressure. Load rating is 690lbs per tire. Be careful installing them as it's easy to bend these cheap wheels. The on road tires must weigh 4 times as much as the cheap wheel barrow tires.

I have two DR PowerWagon's that I've had now for over a decade. For powering up and down hills and getting large rounds out of back yards etc. in hilly areas this machine really shines. Engine braking going downhill works really well too.

I know it's hard to justify the expense but I'll guarantee you that if you use one many times you'll become a convert. I use ramps to roll large rounds up onto the Powerwagon and my dump trailer is the same height so it's an easy roll out at the street. Fits through all gates and does zero yard damage. I also have a Boxer mini skid loader and the power wagon goes to the job more often by a factor of three or so.

Back in the 60's the concrete guys used "Georgia Buggies" which were like the DR buggy on steroids. If I ever see a junker with no motor, at a sale, I'll grab it. With the cheap predator engines it would be an easy fix. I bought one of the TSC big plastic carts and liked the handle that allows towing or pushing. Used it to spread 15 yards of mulch in one day. Thought it was the cats meow. Then it tipped and bent the tongue/handle where it pivots, Now it's up side down over the gear box on my 6' bush hog, Joe.

I bought one of the carts like shown above and it didn't last too long. Granted, I wasn't easy on it but the hubs and wheels don't hold up along with most everything else. You can make your own pretty easy and for the cost, or less, of one of those carts you can get something that will last. People throwing away riding lawnmowers all the time so you can source a lot of the parts for next to nothing. I made mine narrow enough to go through doorways. For an outdoor pull cart you want a lot wider track as stated above for stability.

MVC-011F_3.JPG

MVC-016F_1.JPG

MVC-017F_16.JPG

MVC-018F_17.JPG

Maybe this will give some ideas.

http://imageevent.com/kevininohio/woodcart?n=0&z=2&c=4&x=0&m=24&w=0&p=0

Hasn't broke yet and has done all I asked.

Use to burn 13 wagon loads a year with the smoke dragon . Last year I burnt 7 on track to do again this year . Done this since 1981 the mission form day one ,make this as easy as possible work smart .

I am looking for a good cart myself, I agree on the solid tires. More expensive but worth not having a flat or having to fill them up periodically

I know its an older thread I started, but i did end up getting a 4 wheel cart.

The bed is 34"x52". Rated at 1400 lbs. Has removable sides and the hitch can be reversed so you can tow it with a small tractor or a 4 wheeler. So far I really like it. I can easily get 20-25 cu. ft. on it or about 2.5 times the amount of my old 2 wheel wheelbarrow.

Pulls nice, and isn't bad with my flat lawn.

Back