When a saw starts to rattle...do you stop or send it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I picked up that Timber Bear last week and finally got a chance to really run it in today. After a couple minutes i detected a rattle but it ran mint...i thought maybe clutch bearing...it went away. So i wound it up and boom...seized.

A screw behind the recoil had apparently broken...and it fell down onto the recoil and flywheel and rattled around before making its way under the flywheel...thats when things got spicy. It shot thru a gap between the cylinder and oil pump and ejected thru the oil pump housing...with the screw head jammed firmly into the flywheel.

Lovely.

Glad it came with a spare parts saw...took a few minutes to get the oiler to work...but its back going again. Cuts really well, its ungodly loud and stinks so good.

The oiler design leaves alot to be desired...going to look into a new diaphragm for that.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I picked up that Timber Bear last week and finally got a chance to really run it in today. After a couple minutes i detected a rattle but it ran mint...i thought maybe clutch bearing...it went away. So i wound it up and boom...seized.

That there is your new advertising slogan sorted.

Well I would have stopped. But if it was something i didnt care if it went boom. Send it...
Yeah probably should have stopped, but it did stop after a few seconds...these are just exceptionally loud saws so it can be hard to tell whats making what sound. Im figuring it stopped rattling when it plinko'd its way past the flywheel fins. No worse for the wear in the end. I do want to try and extract the broken screw though.

That there is your new advertising slogan sorted.
I should put that on the back of a business card[emoji23][emoji23]

Or tell em about the time i touched the carb on an echo blower and the stupid little throttle roller got sucked into the engine..that was fun.

I've noticed that when I hear a piece of MY eq start vibrating, making strange noises, knocking, screeching it very seldom repairs itself and if I do not inspect it fast it's sending me a message.

;)
The wife can just ignore stuff's noises and keep on trucking down the road, driving on flats, muffler dragging, smoke rolling, engine screaming just to mention a couple. (and she gets to where she's going and back)
I do not get into her vec to go anywhere, it will never get me out of the driveway.

I've noticed that when I hear a piece of MY eq start vibrating, making strange noises, knocking, screeching it very seldom repairs itself and if I do not inspect it fast it's sending me a message.

;)
The wife can just ignore stuff's noises and keep on trucking down the road, driving on flats, muffler dragging, smoke rolling, engine screaming just to mention a couple. (and she gets to where she's going and back)
I do not get into her vec to go anywhere, it will never get me out of the driveway.
My vehicles...any abnormal smells or sounds or vibrations i freak out.

Depends on the rattle. The clutch on my one Mini Mac is worn and rattles at idle, I ignore it.

After seeing pictures of exploded flywheels, any sound from that area I would stop to investigate.

Depends on the rattle. The clutch on my one Mini Mac is worn and rattles at idle, I ignore it.

After seeing pictures of exploded flywheels, any sound from that area I would stop to investigate.
I was thinking clutch rattle or the bearing let go. Couldn't tell the location because of the loudness of the saw.

Still couldnt get the oiler to work so i bit the bullet and took the tank off...line was broken off. But...with the muffler off i had visible piston damage. It ran fine...but one ring was stuck and there was grooving.

I cleaned up the piston and honed the jug as best i could...both rings were loose but...they are quite worn.

It went back together okay....oiler is still non functional but it feels much snappier.

Guess i need to order a new oiler...i know the impulse hole is clear, feed hole and delivery hole are both clear...it just will not pump oil.

My vehicles...any abnormal smells or sounds or vibrations i freak out.

Ha Ha, you'd hate my runabout truck...
Bad bushing squeaks all around, no A/C, no heat, the cab's held to the frame by logging chains and thus shifts back and forth on them when cornering, back brakes lock up on the first few applications every morning, it leaks a bunch of oil, & it smells like an ongoing electrical fire... And I just took it on a 1700 mile road trip to get a free walk in freezer from a friend, without breaking down once:)

The 600 Series saws are quiet, try a 10 Series with a pancake muffler or one of the reed mufflers with the reed broken off.

There are two check valves in the oil pump. Older models used a disk like the 10 Series on the inlet side (item 12), later ones were built in to the pump and are non-serviceable. The outlet check valve is also built in and can often be freed up by using an aerosol brake or carburetor cleaner down the hole the piston (item 13) goes in.

1592620150049.png

Mark

The 600 Series saws are quiet, try a 10 Series with a pancake muffler or one of the reed mufflers with the reed broken off.

There are two check valves in the oil pump. Older models used a disk like the 10 Series on the inlet side (item 12), later ones were built in to the pump and are non-serviceable. The outlet check valve is also built in and can often be freed up by using an aerosol brake or carburetor cleaner down the hole the piston (item 13) goes in.

View attachment 837024

Mark
Ive got one of each style. I can take my oil can and push oil thru one way but not the other. Pushing the manual pump with the bar off might get a cough or a spit out the port but it never feels like there is any resistance there

Took the oiler off...cleaned everything with soap and water with a toothbrush, applied a bit of sealer and carefully assembled it

Nothing...not a drop of oil auto or manual.

I ordered a new oiler...be here Friday. If this doesnt work ill shoot it with the 50beo and send it to chainsaw hell.

Hope it works, would hate to see you waste a what $5.00 round. Lol.
Not quite as much as 50bmg and still shoots from an AR platform but about 2.25 a round for 500grain. Hits like a 10lb hammer to the shoulder

I have an ar in 458 socom. I knew what 50beo was lol. Last i bought for mine it was close to $50.00 a box. I didnt go 50 beo cause it was more expensive to shoot lol.

Latest posts

Back