When is good to start felling again???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reilly

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am still fairly new to this and was told to stop felling trees in the summer for wood I planned on turning into lumber due to excessive pitch, so I was curious when it's good to start processing again? BTW I'm in coastal Oregon, trees are DF and Hemlock. Thanks all. Mike.

general rule, after the leaves have fallen and before they start to bud again is best for less sap and water weight.

However, IF you intend to use any of the logs as poles or round beams, and peel by hand,
In the spring just after the sap rises, otherwise yu will never get a good peel.

Hi all, I am still fairly new to this and was told to stop felling trees in the summer for wood I planned on turning into lumber due to excessive pitch, so I was curious when it's good to start processing again? BTW I'm in coastal Oregon, trees are DF and Hemlock. Thanks all. Mike.
Typically in the summer and late spring you'll see the pitch running more with the loose bark, it's been a few weeks since I've cut anything but the bark should be firming up here anytime. Generally the warm it stays the longer the bark will slip.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back