When to prune on the Pacific West Coast

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugo Lefrançois

Reaction score
Hi there!

I am new to the website and this is my very first post. What do you think about pruning trees during the wet season (let's say November to April). I heard it was not a good thing to do since the trees are more vulnerable to diseases since it's so wet. What are your opinions on that?

I am on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada.

Thanks!

Tree pruning must be done regularly but when rainy season is coming, never prune your trees before the rain. Doing so might cause attract some bacterial canker which is very common under cool conditions.
Also, in general, water splash coupled with a wide range of temperatures and fresh cuts can result in damaging disease spread.

Tree pruning must be done regularly but when rainy season is coming, never prune your trees before the rain. Doing so might cause attract some bacterial canker which is very common under cool conditions.
Also, in general, water splash coupled with a wide range of temperatures and fresh cuts can result in damaging disease spread.

Thank you very much!

Depends on what he's pruning. As I said, we do commercially all year round and we seldom see bacterial canker except on flowering cherries, and they get everything anyways.

My Pacific Madrone was doing very badly where it was leaves all curled up and brown so I dug it up and transplanted in a better prepared soil with even some soil from a big Tree at our Arboretum. But then my tree just folded up shop and has lost all it's leaves and it's branches drying up. What can I do?

Back