When to replace a chain saw blade?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nettle

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
How to tell when the chain saw blades need replacement? I sharpen my own (and file the depth gauge) and as of now they are cutting just as good as new. However the blades are growing shorter and shorter. Is there a length to these that determines replacement?

How to tell when the chain saw blades need replacement? I sharpen my own (and file the depth gauge) and as of now they are cutting just as good as new. However the blades are growing shorter and shorter. Is there a length to these that determines replacement?
What’s a chainsaw blade?

Lots to learn about chain saws, bars, chain, but for now, the "blade" as you call it is probably what we are thinking as the "chain".
It has the cutters on it and separator links in between.
The bar is the part of the saw that the chain rides around on.
It's all ok, you have to learn so have at it. We all learned too.
If it's dull then the cutters need sharpening,
But as a rookie, do yourself a favor, bring the saw in to a local saw shop and ask some questions.
Buy a new chain, ask how to tension it properly and what to use for bar oil and saw fuel.
They should be able to help you out easily and maybe tell you about the current chain and even sharpen it for you.
It's good to have a couple chains for each saw.

The chain requires replacement when the teeth get back to the line that is on the cutter from the factory. At that point, it's essentially past it's serviceable life and should be replaced.

Get two or three new chains. This way you can rotate through them and have one available as a spare if you dull a chain on metal/dirt/etc. or you throw a chain and kink a link.

Remember flip your bar over every time you sharpen your chain.
Clean out the oil delivery holes and the rails every time you flip your bar.
Check for burrs on the rails of the bar every time you flip your bar, knock them off with a file if necessary.

Not a rookie with chainsaws. Just a rookie at sharpening. I have always had someone else sharpen and tell me when to replace the chain. I have never seen a line on a Stihl cutter. I purchased 3 new Stihl chains this past week and there are no lines on the cutters.

Not a rookie with chainsaws. Just a rookie at sharpening. I have always had someone else sharpen and tell me when to replace the chain. I have never seen a line on a Stihl cutter. I purchased 3 new Stihl chains this past week and there are no lines on the cutters.

Pics? Ive never NOT seen a Stihl chain without file angle markings.

OK. I just took another look. The cutters on the chains for my MS150 (the chains I just bought) do not have the mark(s). The cutters on the chains for my MS261C (the chains I just bought for it) do have these marks. Very little cutter left when filing to the mark. In the past, on the advice of others, I have pitched some chains with some life left on them.

These are the answers I am looking for and do very much appreciate the advice.

Back