Where are Carlton saw chains manufactured?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Carlton chain I have is made in USA or at least that's what the box says

Is there a single manufacturer who sells chain to folks who label it with their own brand?
Updated:

Carlton used to all be made here in the states. Carlton chain is still made here in the US at the plant in Milwaukie, OR not far from where I live. Sadly it is also being made in China now by several Carlton certified manufactures there. Carlton has better tolerances and materials that Forester though (Forester used to have good products). Carlton is also rebranded and sold as WoodlandPro at Baileys online.

Is there a single manufacturer who sells chain to folks who label it with their own brand?

Not a single one, no - but rebranding does happen, both with Oregon and Carlton Chain.

Watch out for China made chain though, it usually is junk....

I stay with Oregon (often Husky branded) and Stihl, all else I have seen have been sub-standard (including Carlton), or pure junk (not the Carlton I have used).

Carlton used to all be made here in the states. Sadly it is being made in China now by several Carlton certified manufactures there. Carlton has better tolerances and materials that Forester though (Forester used to have good products). Carlton is rebranded and sold as WoodlandPro at Baileys online.
Well, I guess I'm lucky. I bought a 100' reel of 3/8 063 Carlton late last year, and it has performed about the same as any Stihl chain loop that I bought, including the ones that came with the saws. The box says Made in USA, Blount Mfg, the same corp. that owns Oregon.

All the Carlton l have used has been USA made and is great chain imho. They are not to big on safety bumper links like oregon. Finding chain without ramps, bumpers or other safety features is getting hard and l normally find carlton good. Carlton is right up there in quality but stihl is best.

Yes, there is still a lot of Carlton stock being made in the USA, and that is good stuff. They have a large manufacturing facility here in Milwaukie, OR where they still make loops. I have a lot of it, and I like it second only to Stihl. The Troll thinks Carlton sucks, but he dearly loves Oregon. Funny, as they are both now owned by the same parent company, Blount. I find Oregon to be way too soft. Oregon makes Husky B&C, so that may explain why the Troll likes it so much. Husky is going to be making their own B&C starting this or next year though. Someplace in their global manufacturing empire.

Both Oregon and Carlton companies were started here near where I live. Oregon was founded in Portland in 1947. Ray Carlton was an engineer at Oregon and in 1963 he peeled off his own chain company and located it in Milwaukie, a suburb of Portland. In 1985 Oregon was bought out by Blount. Blount later bought Frederick Manufacturing, located in Kansas City, Missouri in 1997, and they moved a lot of the Oregon product production there. In 2002 Blount moved here to the Oregon facility in Portland from Alabama. In 2008 Blount bought out Carlton. Blount manufactures stuff in the United States, Canada, Brazil and China. Both Oregon and Carlton are becoming internationally made products. Carlton loops are for the most part still made here in Milwaukie, and Oregon loops are made in Missouri and Canada. But they also make both Oregon and Carlton stuff in China now as well, and some stuff in Brazil.

A year and a half ago I bought two 100' reels of Oregon 75 LGX, 3/8 063, and had nothing but trouble with them. Loops made from both pulled hard to the right, and they failed to hold an edge. Rakers were higher on the left side cutters, so vertical cuts were angled off by as much as 9" from top to bottom. We were logging big cottonwood and after two or three bucks though 30" dia. stock, they were shot and I can't even post the comments of the frustrated MS660 saw operators.

Blount replaced both Oregon reels and they held the vertical but were nevertheless softer than Stihl chain by a considerable margin. By comparison, we can get six to eight big buck cuts from a Stihl or Carlton loop before sharpening.

If you look at some of the packages of pre made Oregon chain loops you will see things like, "Made in USA", "Made in Brazil", or "Assembled in China from components made in US or Brazil".

I don't find it confusing that some guys like Carlton or Oregon better. Even though they are owned by the same parent company, they can still be made to different specs.

Anybody know who makes Forrester chain or Total chain? Are there any large, 'third party' companies besides Tri-Link?

Philbert

I don't find it confusing that some guys like Carlton or Oregon better. Even though they are owned by the same parent company, they can still be made to different specs.

Philbert

They obviously are, but who knows how long that will last?

A lot of companies keep separate product lines to meet different markets.

Philbert

Yah, but Oregon and Carlton have the same markets for most of their products. Blunt is good at being a shell corporation and moving stuff around (including themselves). It is hard to keep up any more. I thought that all Carlton was made here, but looking online there are a lot of companies in China that are licensed to make their stuff now.

Other companies founded in Oregon (the state, not the company) have been sold and moved to China recently. One was Traeger, the inventor of the pellet smoker grill. They were a metalwork company south of me in Mt Angel, OR. They sold out, and the entire product line is made in China now and the quality has completely tanked.

Anybody know who makes Forrester chain or Total chain? Are there any large, 'third party' companies besides Tri-Link?

Philbert

Forester is made mostly in China now. There is almost nothing about the company online, except that their products are sold by Alibaba (huge China distributor) in large amounts.

Back