Where are Stihl and Husky saws made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Break what to who? IT SAYS CHINA ON IT! So that means they outsourced it there, right? If not they would not put China on it because we all know the kind of Harbor Freighter type crap that is. I don't care if its just a screw made in China, it makes a difference to me, and should to everyone else. For nearly $500 clams I expected to see a Tillotson or something in there. Is this not a legitimate concern? I think so my friends, anyone who says different must be getting a slice of the action.

Suo Gan,

Either ya bought a knockoff chineese Husky, or yours has a Zama Carb.

If it's just a Zama Carb, and it gives you convulsions of rage, pull it outta there, order a Walbro or Tillotson, and put the Zama up for sale on the tradin' post.

Husky is outsourcing like every dadgum manufacturer on the planet, and right now the Chineese have no EPA, and a labor force that works for one Riceball a week so they get the nod in the name of profit if the components meet QA/QC.

Ain't nobody here getting a cut of the fat hog getting sliced, and just about everybody here would love to see a good American made Saw back on the market.

There is no such thing as a "Pure" Husky or Stihl anymore.
Just like there is no such thing as a "Pure" Harley Davidson, or Honda for that matter anymore.

Ya ain't gotta like it. Just deal with it, and compare notes with the rest of the gang on how to get around it if ya must.

Lighten up a notch, or you'll miss out on the best saw resources on the planet.

I am curious to know if ya got ripped off with a Chineese copy...

Stick around.
Dingeryote

Its funny that people always focus on where things are made. You can go into a Red Wing store and buy boots made in CHINA. Dr Martens aren't even made in England anymore. Get over it. Or don't, I guess.

German stihls

I remember reading somewhere that MS200T's and MS880 stihls are made in germany and everthing else is made in the USA. I'm sure there are others though..... Mike

You guys cover your bases pretty well. I mean how do I get around your arguments? People should not be hung up on where things are made, let us know if its a fake made in China? If you don't care where things are made, why would it matter if it was a fake made in China? It runs well, and has since I bought it new from the local Stihl/Husqvarna dealer.

Even my new Buck knife is made in China, it's possible that I have a Chinese clone running around somewhere...if I could just get him to cut my yard now.

As for lightening up, I am. I mean as much as is possible. The first time a guy shows a little testosterone, he gets his n_ts cut. It is highly possible you guys have been hanging around an emasculating mother in law far too long...

Anyway, Merry Christmas and no hard feelings to any of you China lovers.

I remember reading somewhere that MS200T's and MS880 stihls are made in germany and everthing else is made in the USA. I'm sure there are others though..... Mike

That sounds correct, Mike about the models produced here.
There is a huge Stihl factory in Virginia Beach, VA. they employ over 1800 people in 8 buildings, on 83 acres.
This was especially nice during hurricane Isabel, they sent truckloads of saws and stuff DAILY into the storm area to the local dealers.

Last edited:
You guys cover your bases pretty well. I mean how do I get around your arguments? People should not be hung up on where things are made, let us know if its a fake made in China? If you don't care where things are made, why would it matter if it was a fake made in China? It runs well, and has since I bought it new from the local Stihl/Husqvarna dealer.

Even my new Buck knife is made in China, it's possible that I have a Chinese clone running around somewhere...if I could just get him to cut my yard now.

As for lightening up, I am. I mean as much as is possible. The first time a guy shows a little testosterone, he gets his n_ts cut. It is highly possible you guys have been hanging around an emasculating mother in law far too long...

and where are you from, Korea? just wondering. nobody else asked.

Can I point out that the Chinese are more than capable of engineering products to at least the same high standards as the best of the world's manufacturers ( I'm not taking about knock offs ). As long as the same manufacturing standards and quality controls are in place a product produced for Zama/Stihl/ Husqvarna/Whoever should be at least as good as one produced anywhere else. Remember it's the manufacturers who are trying to cut production costs and it is they who call the shots on Q/C and materials.
Given the scenario that Stihl or whoever have set up a plant in China using their own machining and production control it should be of no different quality than if produced anywhere else, that is if the product is to be sold on the world market and not simply for the home market where volume sales of a relatively expensive product would be limited.

I hear what you are saying and I used to think the same thing...however, I work with a company (electronics, machinery, textiles, mining...) that has plants all over the world, in the US, China, Japan, India, Taiwan, Korea...the list goes on.

They started in Japan and make high quality products but have had to open plants all over to compete and stay alive against other companies making lesser quality products for a lot less money, so they now make lesser quality items at other places outside of Japan.

Now many things factor, but to make a long story short, competition in terms of cost/selling profits have forced this company to repeatedly try to shift more of their Japanese made products to their own plants in China (they said they wouldn't even attempt Taiwan, long story...) to lessen costs but not quality. However after years of trying they have all but given up, after several failed attempts. Like I said many a lot of things factor and they have tried "fixing" many of the different known or found problems. But certain things they cannot change, what they are I don't know for sure and I don't know if this company does wholly either ro if they do they haven't been able to fix it.

But one thing remains, all their top quality stuff is still being made in Japan.

china copy motors are very different than the jap honda's they have the same bolt pattern cause they are a cheep alternative to the better jap motors. half the price half the quality, less power and more problems. the japs have good stuff the chinese dont!! its like comparing stihl, husky too polin. you just cant compare

SG, I am not a china lover lets get that straight and Merry Christmas to you and your family too!!!

Please post pics of your saw, believe it when I saw people ARE interested in china clones this would be the first 346xp I have heard of that may be one? I for one want to know all about it where you got it etc!

If it is just the carb and you really have a Swedish built xp just enjoy the saw and quit fretting over it because it would have to be made to Husky specs.

BTW the engine plate is on the right side of the engine on a Swede under the handle bar kind of hard to see but look there for the made in china imo.

Kansas

That sounds correct, Mike about the models produced here.
There is a huge Stihl factory in Virginia Beach, VA. they employ over 1800 people in 8 buildings, on 83 acres.
This was especially nice during hurricane Isabel, they sent truckloads of saws and stuff DAILY into the storm area to the local dealers.
they brought a truck load of stihl sawz to the company i worked @ in md and gave them away. when i say truck i mean tractor trailor! we were not a dealer but thousands of workers were brought in from all over the country by bg&e

Last edited:

As for lightening up, I am. I mean as much as is possible. The first time a guy shows a little testosterone, he gets his n_ts cut. It is highly possible you guys have been hanging around an emasculating mother in law far too
long...

Yo, like dooohoood...

There are completely chineese made Husky copies floating around on the internet market, and they have copied dimensions and labeling only.
The saws are potentially unsafe.

That's why folks are asking.

As for origin bieng important, yes and no.

I'll buy U.S. made whenever I can, then default to Euro, then Japan in that order.
Unfortunately even "U.S. Made" means you are going to get a couple components outsourced from China.

A couple of years back, I ordered a large quantitiy of Tactical load bearing equipment for work. The order went to a U.S. company that was founded by a former Navy S.E.A.L. and had a good reputation in L.E./.Mil. circles.
The Gear came in and had "Made in Vietnam" sewn into them.
My Boss, a Nam Vet and Former Ranger, Popped a cork.

The Armys current general Issue Beret was originally outsourced to China...

My Jeep has Japaneese electronics, and many German parts.
My Wifes Jeep has Chineese Electronics, and the rest is mostly german and Mexican made but assembled here.

You cannot get around some components of anything, bieng made someplace you don't like.

The only option is to buy old stuff if it bugs ya that much.

Good luck finding a Pure Husky or Stihl.

Holler if ya do. I'd be interested as well.

Merry Christmas back at ya!
Dingeryote

they brought a truck load of stihl sawz to the company i worked @ in md and gave them away. when i say truck i mean tractor trailor! we were not a dealer but thousands of workers were brought in from all over the country by bg&e

That's one of those cool stories that could be an advertising ploy, but isn't, because the gang at Stihl has too much class.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Another reason to keep things Orange.

Dingeryote

In regards to where the Husky saws are built, ALL xp saws are made in Sweden. There may be a component that is made in another country, but they are all made in Sweden. I highly doubt a 346 was made in China. When it comes to the smaller saws some of them are made in the USA (Charlotte, NC). I am certain that saw from the 353 and above are made in Sweden though.

As far as the big box stores go, the can NOT get the XP saws. Husqvarna has actually started to decrease the availability of getting a decent saw at the big box stores. They have phased out the 455 Rancher in order to tune it down and then sell it under a different designation.

Hope this helps.

-Kevin

Actually, from the 340 and up are basically made in Sweden -except for the Zama carbs.

Some older models (also xp ones) are still made in Brazil, but those are mostly not offered in NA and Western EU.

You know I have only brought this up because I want to see how the rest of you feel. Its mostly the way I do. So this was a venture if preaching to the chior I guess. But it got me to do some research around the net, and I came up with some interesting bits of info, like: Stihl owns Zama in China.

Keep this thread going by all means, because I know that deep down inside you secretly hate this s as much as I do! I hate the fact that I am supporting communism in a land where the people have no say of what kinds of working conditions, wages etc. they will ever get. I could give a rip about quality control in Chinese factories. In fact they might make the best carb in the world and I would still rather buy something else (made in Mexico even). This is exactly like the analogy of someone thinking that hunters are bad because they kill thier own meat...you eat meat and you killed the animal period. You buy from China, you support communism. I really think that it is time that we let the manufacturer know what we want, not the other way around...don't you? Taker Easy, SG

Suo Gan is a Welsh name my illiterate friend. Time to pick up a book and read it from time to time, it might do ya'll all's some good, ya know what I mean?

I am far from illiterate and not your friend.
my question was based on my lifelong friendship with the local Korean community here in Wmsbg. VA. and the fact that it is an Asian spelling.

after googling your name, I see that it is also a welsh name for a song.

"To my lullaby surrender
Warm and tender is my breast
Mother's arms with love caressing
Lay their blessing on your rest
Nothing shall tonight alarm you
None shall harm you, have no fear
Lie contented, calmly slumber
On your mother's breast, my dear"

not very masculine, but then you don't impress me much either.

That's exactly why i will never buy another buck knife.

Latest posts

Back