Where are Stihl and Husky saws made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best way to tell if your saw is made in china...... Lick it or have a quick nibble on it. If you die, it's made in china....... Lead,lead and more lead. I buy as much stuff made in Canada/Usa as possible. Then I will look to Japan,Germany etc. China is the last option.... very last resort. I am not into lead.

What I mean by that is the 460 Rancher is going to be the only Rancher available at dealers. I can still get 455s but have really no need to do so. What Husky is doing is trying to limit the "good" saws to dealers only. The 455 is going to be tuned down and cheapened up to be sold as a 255 to the big box stores. This is to allow the big box stores to still sell Husky's, but they will not have access the the better saws. As far as I have heard the homeowner lineup will be the extent of what they will get. You probably wont see this materialize until probably Feb or Mar of '09 though.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Kevin

Hi Kevin

I have question for you. I just bought a Husqvarna 353 E-Tech saw. Is this saw considered a professional saw like the XP series? The manual shipped with the saw combines the 346XP and the 353. I assume the major parts are the same, but internal might be different. I know the saw definitely runs like pro saw. I am very happy with the saw, just wondering?
ZG.

Hi Kevin

I have question for you. I just bought a Husqvarna 353 E-Tech saw. Is this saw considered a professional saw like the XP series? The manual shipped with the saw combines the 346XP and the 353. I assume the major parts are the same, but internal might be different. I know the saw definitely runs like pro saw. I am very happy with the saw, just wondering?
ZG.

Well, they do share the same manual, and there are a lot of similarities, but the 353 is still considered a Landowner series saw. It used to be under the Pro series, not any more. It still can be used as a pro series, but they don't have it under the same heading. The real difference between them is power and rev. The 353 is revving out at 13,000 instead of the 14,500 the 346 is running at, then you have the .5hp difference as well.

So, you were wondering correctly! Let me know if you have any more questions.

-Kevin

Last edited:
That's one of those cool stories that could be an advertising ploy, but isn't, because the gang at Stihl has too much class.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Another reason to keep things Orange.

Dingeryote

The media likes to portray US manufacturers and big business in general as "villains" whose only mission is to screw the little guy.
When I worked (briefly) at Ground Zero at the World Trade Center, there were trucks from Home Depot loaded with orange buckets for the rescue workers to use. I must have had 20 people ask me if we needed food for the search dogs because Purina sent many truck loads of dog food. I found out later from a dealer/friend that Motorola sent three tractor/trailers full of top-of-the-line radios, batteries and chargers for the rescue workers to use -- all free of charge. In Mississippi after Katrina there were plain white cans of water for the population and workers that had come from a major beer brewer that had converted their bottling plant from beer to water.
The list of corporate good guys goes on and on. But you seldom, if ever, hear that side of the story.

A friend works for a small contract machining company that lost some GM contract work to China. A few weeks ago he said that the purchasing agent came back and said that they were placing an order with the US company again -- not because of quality problems, but the Chinese could no longer compete price-wise!! Who woulda thought?

TreeTopKid, I don't know if the saw body on the 268xp, is steel or aluminium? I'm guessing alum, but like I said....a guess! My wife bught it for me for Christmas in th 1990? I think.

Last edited:
You know I have only brought this up because I want to see how the rest of you feel. Its mostly the way I do. So this was a venture if preaching to the chior I guess. But it got me to do some research around the net, and I came up with some interesting bits of info, like: Stihl owns Zama in China.

Keep this thread going by all means, because I know that deep down inside you secretly hate this s as much as I do! I hate the fact that I am supporting communism in a land where the people have no say of what kinds of working conditions, wages etc. they will ever get. I could give a rip about quality control in Chinese factories. In fact they might make the best carb in the world and I would still rather buy something else (made in Mexico even). This is exactly like the analogy of someone thinking that hunters are bad because they kill thier own meat...you eat meat and you killed the animal period. You buy from China, you support communism. I really think that it is time that we let the manufacturer know what we want, not the other way around...don't you? Taker Easy, SG

In case you had not noticed, communisim is already here.

Not sure what quality control in Chinese factories (or the lack therof) has to do with PC opinions the general public has on hunters either...

Your testosterone seems to be overloading some circuits, but I am in total agreement about the waste of raw materials being put into Chinese junk. If that is what you are bent out of shape about. I avoid all Chinese manufactured items like the plague with the exception of high end led flashlights. Everthing else is junk.

Back