Where are the employees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In other words, is it somewhat common for climbing/arborist employees to be making 80-100k yr?
Heck, the UPS driver is making $42 an hour sitting in a truck,, 42+ hours per week.
I hope a guy holding a chainsaw is making more than that!!

The 2 man crews are everywhere here, they will do anything they can get their hands on from siding to tree removal and know how to quote 25% less than every legit business. Those covid checks bought a ton of pos trucks and tools for those who could never get above water and now they are operating on their own.
20231215_071915.jpg
(click to enlarge)

Kids don't want to get into tree work and similiar trades because all the illegals are doing it, and they think there is no pride in it because of that. At least that's how it is in Cali. Last couple years seen more and more of them working up here. One of the reasons why I work by myself now, I hated working with those guys. Never had any meaningful conversation with them whether or not they spoke english.

I've had multiple clients say "I pay my Mexicans 'x amount'" or, "don't worry about cleaning up I'll have my Mexicans do that, they charge less."

carefull with this "importing of cheap labour" . before you know it you can't do anything without them ,AND, before you know it they are the MAJORITY in society and your "type" the minority!
Happened in many countries ,societies in history! including USA!

20231215_071918.jpg
(click to enlarge)

I agree, and the industry is under payed as a whole. But even offering starting wages north of $30 doesn’t get anything
I wouldn`t start my truck for $30. an hour working for someone else when i can make double that working self employed, especially in a dirty dangerous outdoor job.

This is my first thread, but i'm just curious what people have experienced here. Our company is Central Valley Tree and Arborist Services. This company was started in 2001, but we took it over in 2015. My question is,
why is it so hard to find workers?
We've been good to our guys and are trying to get in front of what's going on with the industry, we have helmet walkies, clean trucks, BC1000xl chipper and a few boom trucks. But no one responds to adds, indeed has been a waste of time, word of mouth is useless, it just seems like no one is looking for work. We've gone through our fair share of trash employees (apparently people love their illicit vices) but out of probably 30 people over 5 years, we have 2 good guys. From covid I've heard of multiple companies laying off half their staff. But where do these people disappear too? Is it different in Vancouver Canada then where you are? I'd love to hear responses. Lastly, if you are a climber that got laid off and is need work in my area, let me know.
I'd love to hear peoples experiences.
I am a mechanic by trade and the company I work for can not find help either. I cut firewood for myself and I can not get anyone to help drag brush out of the way without paying $15 an hour cash money. I know that is not a lot of money but it doesn't really take a lot be a brush dragger. They do not even have to drag it but 10 to 20 ft away.

A good part of the problem is that employers want to hire people who are fully capable of being self-employed and pay them $20 per hour.
Greed is a hell of a thing. Ask them what they think they are worth and then meet them somewhere in the middle or even offer more if they have the experience. It's money. At the end of the day if you pay a crew right you don't need more than about 3 people to do the work. Then split off and create more crews that can be working at the same time. When you see a tree company with about 8 workers on a job you just can't sustain that.

I am a mechanic by trade and the company I work for can not find help either. I cut firewood for myself and I can not get anyone to help drag brush out of the way without paying $15 an hour cash money. I know that is not a lot of money but it doesn't really take a lot be a brush dragger. They do not even have to drag it but 10 to 20 ft away.
While I agree somewhat with this it's also a poor mentality to have, "They don't have a hard job."

If the money was obtained legally from a source that was intended to help people get on with a better life, for example, starting a business, than why do you care? If they stink as a tree business, they will not be your competition in a couple years.

My issue is with large established companies criticizing smaller ones. I'll bet your company was small once, too. I have a small tree service. I do small jobs. I do it well - fully insured, professional customer interaction, clean and safe jobsite, etc.

Companies like yours can have all the big, hairy tree removals - I can't do it well, and that's not fair to the customer.

However, from a couple of the comments here I deduce some may drive past my jobsite and conclude I am a hack who took his stimulus money, bought some gear and started cutting trees. You don't know anything about me.

Perhaps the comments were directed at some person the writer had intimate knowledge of. Feel free to set me straight.

Perhaps some of you do not think smaller crews should be doing tree work - then say that, and let the discussion continue.
Smaller crews are the way. Get them the training, equipment they need, and have them meet quotas. Challenge, invest in, love them. They are who will make or break you. Always remember how it all started, and you will never lose your path.

I wouldn`t start my truck for $30. an hour working for someone else when i can make double that working self employed, especially in a dirty dangerous outdoor job.

I wouldn't either. FWIW, I pay my gardener $50/hr cash. He's hard working and reliable.

Back