Where are the large Poulan saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z4lunch

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Back in the middle 80's, I worked part time at a dealer that sold Poulan saws. I bought my first new saw back then it was a 4000 (3.9cu). I remember going to the distributor to pick up parts, and seeing big saws on the rack in there showroom, I think they may have been 5 or even 6 cubes. I also remember the biggest saws looking like Pioneer's. I have never seen any of these large saws for sale on ebay or anywhere else for that matter. Where are they now, are they still made. Do they have any value, if I find one.
Thanks Steve

I've seen a few around. A buddy of mine has the two cylinder (610?) which I believe may be 6 CID. Also, Jon Rupley (sawracr) might know about some as he has this real fast 655 BP (boost ported) that he races.

I've seen two kinds of old Poulans, some on eBay. The later ones like that 655 look like Pioneer P60s. The earlier ones bear a striking resemblance to the old PM Canadien saws.

Power Machinery was a Canadian company back in the '50s and '60s. One line they made was called "Canadien". Big, unusal saws, later bought by Skil.

You can see the whole lineup at Mike Acres' site.

yeah the reason why you don't see many for sale is because people don't want to depart with a good saw!!!!!!!! Long live PIONEER

I know that Pioneers were advanced saws, and that they have a healthy following, but I would never want another. I briefly had a 1072. A very odd design that didn't make a whole lot of sense. Some parts were very fragile and hard to work on. Also lost all of its paint for some reason.

Originally posted by jhr
yeah the reason why you don't see many for sale is because people don't want to depart with a good saw!!!!!!!! Long live PIONEER

I agree Long live Pioneer!:D

John,
Yours was an earlier design they are quite odd. The P series are mostly very solid designs and make alot of sense to me. But they all seem to shed their paint easy.

Back