Where do yall see vintage saw prices at in 20 years?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to sell eight vintage husky bikes for $5 k. I think everyone was over whelmed at my amount of parts. I’m building bikes to sell now then I’ll sell left over parts.

Depends on the number of people that actually do something for entertainment and that have disposable income. Observe the twenty five year olds you are familiar with now and think how many of them and their soon to be children will place much value on outdated saw technology, enough value to want to spend their disposable income on an outdated saw. Vintage saws are collectible shelf sitters, getting used occasionally to cut firewood by a very few people, almost zero commercial purpose. In the US as available trees will decrease and population will increase the tools to work those available trees will become heavily regulated, this will flood the market with saws that have no purpose. Those that still want to use saws will have a huge variety of vintage saws to choose from and a decreased ability to actually use them.

Basically, most will be as desired then as a David Bradley direct drive is now.

Vintage saws are less susceptible to an EMP strike, so you can still cut firewood for heat in case there is an attack. New tech saws either won't start or will be able to be shut down by an outside force hacking the M-tronic or AT via the internet.

Many vintage saws don't look like they would start or run, so unless it's a shelf queen, looters/marauders would be more likely to take new, easy to start plastic saws from the big box stores rather than roam byways looking for vintage saws.

When the manufacture of new saws is either heavily regulated or outlawed, vintage saws would likely be "grandfathered in", at least in the short term. Owners may eventually be required to register their vintage saw; some will, but others will not comply, stating, "When saws are outlawed, only outlaws will have saws."

Vintage saws are easier to tune for different conditions, with fewer regulating elements. In an outlaw or zombie apocalypse situation, for example, reverse tuning for power/noise and muffler un-mods would be popular to muffle sound and reduce detection potential. New saws probably wouldn't run under these conditions.

Vintage saws are just cool, and in a first world situation where work isn't actually required but is a novelty, young and old alike enjoy pretending they are working harder with an old saw. Not to mention, one can always make an excuse not to work because one is working on his old saw.

No crystal ball, but I would be surprised if they don't hit a serious resistance point followed by a strong headwind like old cars and parts did in 2019.

Let's be honest here: 90% of this stuff is neither rare nor valuable. If you just need to cut wood a more recent Echo/Stihl/etc clamshell is better than most of these 80's saws and there are plenty around. Need power? Many MS460 and 372XP out there looking for a new home. The only thing that propelled prices the way they did is the Greater Fool Theory, meaning price dynamics is not driven by scarcity, demand or whatever but merely by the widespread idea that somebody else will buy from you at a profit because he thinks he can sell to somebody else at a profit. But what happens when you run out of greater fools?

Chainsaws and related parts haven't got a media devoted to jawboning prices like old cars and motorcycles have. Merely a bunch of people on the Internet giving other people aspirational pricing: this forum is one of the islands of sanity out there. Nobody has called me names for "underpricing" a saw yet at least. :laugh:
When the final wave of greater fools starts running into resistance, like it's happening right now, prices start to go down. Slowly but steadily. That's the trend I expect, but always remember that nothing goes to heck in a straight line.

There's a guy on Craigslist locally with some very old looking saw, he can only confirm it has compression, it's yellow but not a Mcculloch, looks to be about 1950's. He's like "these are rare and valuable, make an offer, i know what i have, blah blah blah..." he still has it and I'm sure will for a lonnnnng time.

It all depends on how much interest the next couple of generations have in vintage saws. I’m guessing most of us on this forum are 40+. 20 years from now a lot of us will be gone and many will not be cutting a lot of wood. If there are millions of millennials with our same interest in saws, then their values will continue to climb. If the coming generations don’t give a damn however, then old saws might just be another curiosity without a great deal of value.

My mother does volunteer work in a charity thrift store and because of this I see a lot of the donations that are made. There are literally hundreds of collectibles out there that people once thought were valuable and now are worth very little, Hummel figurines, China sets, beanie babies, etc...
Tell her to put aside any vacuum tubes, tube type radios,etc. Tubes will function 100 plus years, and good ole USA made a ton of them,including Joint Army Navy (JAN) higher quality ones.Sorry to hijack, another interesting hobby.

There's a guy on Craigslist locally with some very old looking saw, he can only confirm it has compression, it's yellow but not a Mcculloch, looks to be about 1950's. He's like "these are rare and valuable, make an offer, i know what i have, blah blah blah..." he still has it and I'm sure will for a lonnnnng time.

David Bradley? Post a link or a screenshot so we can have some fun.

Thanks!

Awww nuts... the ad was either taken down or expired. :(

It was a yellow relic with a round tubular gas tank, one crappy dimly lit picture.

If it's reposted i will share, lol

Definitely sounds like a David Bradley found in grandpa's basement. Or any other 50's saw with a Power Products AH-47 engine: they were all basically the same stuff with detail differences.
So rare and valuable members here often pick them up for scrap metal prices at yard sales. :laugh:

Sounds the "highly valuable walnut tree" syndrome has claimed another victim. ;)

Tell her to put aside any vacuum tubes, tube type radios,etc. Tubes will function 100 plus years, and good ole USA made a ton of them,including Joint Army Navy (JAN) higher quality ones.Sorry to hijack, another interesting hobby.

They’re a bunch of elderly women that run the shop and I’m positive that there’s a ton of stuff going through there that they don’t know the value of or the market for. Then again, the shop has been operating for decades and they seem to be savvy enough to keep it going. That’s what you can do with free labor and lots of donated old stuff.

They occasionally consult me about the value of certain items but other than that I really don’t have any say in how they run the place.

Same as now + inflation.

They're not appreciating assets as a whole. The market for these saws is dwindling and I don't see that getting any better.

I wouldn't be attempting to invest in vintage saws as your get rich scheme. Cuz it's not going to happen.

New tech saws either won't start or will be able to be shut down by an outside force hacking the M-tronic or AT via the internet.

what? Take the tinfoil off your head man. Not saying they won’t break down or be difficult to fix, but no one is going to hack into your saw unless you have it plugged into your computer all the time with the appropriate dealer level software. Even then I would say it’s very unlikely that anyone would care enough to write a virus for a saw.

With the cost of eBay going up for sellers I think we’re missing out on some good buys on older chainsaws already.

Good buys are few and far between.

Example, advertised on Hemingway was a 62 corvette 327/300 hp. For just $17,000 I tried to buy it, but the split second it came up sold, you better pull the trigger quickly if you want it.

what? Take the tinfoil off your head man. Not saying they won’t break down or be difficult to fix, but no one is going to hack into your saw unless you have it plugged into your computer all the time with the appropriate dealer level software. Even then I would say it’s very unlikely that anyone would care enough to write a virus for a saw.

Not the tinfoil kinda guy, but he is right. An electro magnetic pulse a couple miles above land from a nuclear explosion would fry everything with computer chips. Unless you store it inside a faraday cage, which a freight container would work as one as long as its grounded to earth good.

Not the tinfoil kinda guy, but he is right. An electro magnetic pulse a couple miles above land from a nuclear explosion would fry everything with computer chips. Unless you store it inside a faraday cage, which a freight container would work as one as long as its grounded to earth good.
He said someone would hack the m-tronic via internet. Not possible.
I didn’t comment on the EMP portion.

I picked up a Lombard, 95CC, with a Power Products AH58, a David Bradly with the AH58 and an older Lombard for $22.50 for all 3. For me, the prices are going up.

Dude, it’s a real problem. Haven’t you ever heard of a hacksaw?

Latest posts

Back