Where do yall see vintage saw prices at in 20 years?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up a Lombard, 95CC, with a Power Products AH58, a David Bradly with the AH58 and an older Lombard for $22.50 for all 3. For me, the prices are going up.

Exactly, i have never paid anywhere close to market value for a saw, sometimes i do get carried away and sink too much money into them tho. The value goes up as soon as it leaves the sellers hands to mine.

They’re a bunch of elderly women that run the shop and I’m positive that there’s a ton of stuff going through there that they don’t know the value of or the market for. Then again, the shop has been operating for decades and they seem to be savvy enough to keep it going. That’s what you can do with free labor and lots of donated old stuff.

They occasionally consult me about the value of certain items but other than that I really don’t have any say in how they run the place.
Yeah, most thrift stores carry furniture,clothes,kitchen items,etc.No man stuff because apparently men arent involved.I always go back because you never know,and I always ask about radio tubes, mainly to inform the workers that they have value and are useful. And,please dont throw them in the dumpster!

The real problem for collectors is that these days the decent stuff tends to go straight to eBay and never even ends up on display.

I don’t see anything in the near future that will drive prices up on older vintage, vintage and post vintage chain saws?

What saved my butt with the husky bikes there in demand for vintage harescrambles. The guys who raced them decades ago are older looking for a sweet ride now to still race.

I’m thinking there are certain saws that will continue to appreciate in value, namely the really big Stihls, Macs and Huskies, but with the availability of clone saws I wouldn’t want to bet on it. Still, I don’t see the price of 125’s or 090’s going down in the next 20 years.

I love the old Homelites and Macs, but I kind of doubt they’ll be in as much demand 20 years from now. A saw’s got to have some practical value or it’s just a decoration and if there are no parts available then it’s practical value is limited. There was a guy around here selling a couple of big Canadiens a couple months ago at a reasonable price. I considered buying them, but where are you going to get parts for those?

As the new saw market today is leaning towards the mid series lighter weight more powerful saw the boat anchors will die off. I’m talking about the 1970’ s saws and up.
If we check the prices right now some are priced at $300+ and up and they don’t run.
As these prices inch up we might as well buy a newer running saw.

The older mccullochs, homelights, David Bradley’s May survive in collections. These have always been popular for collecting.

I don’t see anything in the near future that will drive prices up on older vintage, vintage and post vintage chain saws?

What saved my butt with the husky bikes there in demand for vintage harescrambles. The guys who raced them decades ago are older looking for a sweet ride now to still race.
You just reminded me of a an Ossa 175 (Stiletto I believe) I used to own, ran really good when it ran.Loud as crap.At the time I was more of a Suzuki budget person.

In 20 years there may not be too many trees to cut anyway and if there are trees left we might be using lasers to cut wood if that is possible. I'll probably not be around anyway but it would be nice if these old chainsaws at least hold there value and hopefully go up in value. It would be nice if chainsaws were like old cars and would be worth more in the future than what you would pay for one today but I doubt that will happen unless you stash NIB saws.
We have plenty of trees here in the NW as well, and that sure won't change in the next 20 years.
As to used saw prices, I would guess they will go up slightly.

Where do yall see prices going in 20 years for any of the saws from late 80s early 90s?
In 20 years the guys buying saws now will have gotten too old to run saws.
The young will not want to run saws.
Few will have the land to run saws as everyone is moving to town and land is getting to be split up into smaller plots.
I see prices dropping through the floor and parts availability be becoming nearly zero.

Few will have the land to run saws as everyone is moving to town and land is getting to be split up into smaller plots.
I see prices dropping through the floor and parts availability be becoming nearly zero.

That would be devastating.

I don't know about truly vintage saws. But there are enough geeks evidently to keep the modern 90's and up still climbing. It seems like everything is way better if it's no longer made. Look for a 361 or 357,359 on ebay and you'll see what I mean. I bought my 3rd 359 on ebay in 2013 for $200. I saw one the other day that looked like crap for $300 with like 17 bids. The description read "well maintained". It was covered in sawdust like a piece of chicken that someone rolled in flour. A $500 saw new at least 12 years old that wasn't rare or outstanding in it's day.....

In a way, those urban environments produce even more tree work. There are 10’s of thousands of big trees on urban lots around here and taking them down or thinning them out means there will be a lot of tree work for the foreseeable future. It might not be logging the old growth like it was 50 years ago, but trees really do grow like weeds around here and now the big ones need to be carefully cut down so that they don’t crush someone’s house.

In 20 years I'll be 56. Sure hope I can still run a saw at that younge age.

Ill be 52 in 20 years, its refreshing to see another feller in his 30s around here haha.
A couple years ago my dealer told me chainsaws and firewood was a grey hair business and I was the youngest guy that had been in the shop in awhile. Most guys i cut with are in there 50s and 60s.

Back