ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Where has winter gone

Jkstihl

Jkstihl

Chainsaws make me fap.
We boxed the replacement frame with 3/8” thick steel. We installed loc rite lockers in both differentials, with 5:38 gears she will go anywhere. With four sets of chains. I did buy the adapters to install four 8.3 x24” farmall cub ag tires on it. Swamp buggy here we go. The best $400 I ever spent. Older pic.
Hell ya..she looks quite capable. Nice setup

yooper

yooper

Tree Freak
IMG_3115.PNG My grandfather had a jeep very similar but the plow was extended out quite a bit more. That thing could make fifteen foot high snow banks.

Here on Lake Superior there is no ice yet. We are in for quite a bit more lake effect snow.

mga

wandering
i'm sitting here in New York State, waiting for them to set a closing date on the house we bought in Kentucky. Worse part is they're calling for 10 to 15 inches of snow by friday nite.....ugh....i thought we were going to see the end of that crap.

just waiting for the lawyer to set a date.

rarefish383

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
Something else that seems strange, it seems like the number of Canadian geese going south for the winter has dropped to almost none over my area. I don't know if that is actually the case or not, but I remember watching the V formations almost daily, and now I rarely see a flock of them at all. Also, I thought squirrels hibernated or at least became less active, and they spent the fall gathering nuts, but it seems like the number of them running around in the dead of winter is as high as in the middle of summer. Maybe it is just my area or maybe I am crazy?
All of the geese fly over MD, drop in for a break, and never leave. We have so many Canadian Honkers they are almost as big of a pain as the deer. I know several farmers that let hunters in to try and keep the numbers down. Before I retired from UPS, we had so many of them you couldn't walk across the parking lot with out slipping in green slime. One of our tractor trailer drivers had one attack him, bit him on the leg. He hit it with his 5th wheel pin puller and killed it. Some A-Hole in yard control called the Police on him, they called DNR. They charged him with hunting out of season, hunting with out a license. Meanwhile he had blood running down his leg. I didn't know the driver, he may have been a jerk to the DNR guys, so they threw the book at him. All the DNR folks I know would have laughed and called it self defense.

Groundman One

Groundman One

Star Gazer
All of the geese fly over MD, drop in for a break, and never leave. We have so many Canadian Honkers they are almost as big of a pain as the deer. I know several farmers that let hunters in to try and keep the numbers down. Before I retired from UPS, we had so many of them you couldn't walk across the parking lot with out slipping in green slime. One of our tractor trailer drivers had one attack him, bit him on the leg. He hit it with his 5th wheel pin puller and killed it. Some A-Hole in yard control called the Police on him, they called DNR. They charged him with hunting out of season, hunting with out a license. Meanwhile he had blood running down his leg. I didn't know the driver, he may have been a jerk to the DNR guys, so they threw the book at him. All the DNR folks I know would have laughed and called it self defense.
That's ridiculous.

Years ago my boss and one of the guys came across a deer that had been hit on the highway. It was still alive and suffering so they were going to kill it. All they had was a steel shovel or something like that so it would have been nasty. Anyway, the cops show up right then and said that had they killed it they would have got a $3000 fine for trying to collect road kill.

rarefish383

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
That's ridiculous.

Years ago my boss and one of the guys came across a deer that had been hit on the highway. It was still alive and suffering so they were going to kill it. All they had was a steel shovel or something like that so it would have been nasty. Anyway, the cops show up right then and said that had they killed it they would have got a $3000 fine for trying to collect road kill.
My first brand new vehicle was a 76 Dodge van. I built a pretty cool "Shaggin' Wagon" out of it. I had a lockable, built in gun safe under one seat.Some one hit a deer and it was laying in the road "bleating" like a sheep. I had a single shot 16 gauge in the safe, so I figured I'd dispatch it. Just as I got the gun put together a cop pulled up. He wasn't friendly, but he was not nasty either. He just pointed back at my truck and said, " go put that away, I've got it".

rarefish383

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
After seeing the snow chart above, I tried to do the same thing for Frederick MD. The first thing that came up was Snowmageddon. Evidently this is the 10 year anniversary. That was my first night moving trailers around the yard for UPS. My training day, 2-3 days before was on clear pavement. It was supposed to be an 8 hour class. My supervisor showed me how to couple to a trailer with the yard shifter, coupled to a 28' pup, and told me to go park it. I put it on a bay perfect. She said , "you can take the rest of the day off with pay, I can't show you any thing else." The day it started snowing I was supposed to start the night shift. At 4 in the afternoon I had cleared my driveway twice. I turned on the news and they said the Governor had said all delivery vehicles were to stay off the road. I was jumping for joy, I didn't want to start my first day moving trailers in that snow. I called in and my boss said, "you don't work for the Governor, get in here, and leave early so your'e not late!" Turned out I was the only "shifter" that showed up and I only moved a couple trailers, nothing could make it in the yard. The next couple weeks were pure hell trying to catch up.
The article I pulled up said it dumped 4' of snow on us that night.

SS396driver

SS396driver

To much wood
Were getting some winter tonight but it's going to change to rain tomorrow. But it's going to get cold Friday and Saturday. Then back up into the 40s. I'm going to tap my maple trees tomorrow and hope for the best

Ash_403

Ash_403

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Looks like the coldest weather here, so far this year, will be early tomorrow morning. 10*F
So far, not much of a winter in this area. Not complaining though.