Where moved posts go for eternity

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
while you're on the JUCA site, check out the rest of the site for tons of info on wood burning house heaters.

JUCA site's got most info on wood burning on the WWW...

bowtechmadman, drop down to the chainsaw forum and do a search for "muffler Mod" when you have a couple hours to spare for reading. There's a plethora of information down there that will have you drooling. A simple muffler mod and a little grinding with a dremel to match the exhaust port to the muffler opening will perk your 346 right up. Make sure you read and understand how to readjust the carb afterward because your saw will run too lean otherwise.

Ian

BTW, Welcome to AS....:blob4:

are those cord calculators for split wood? I figure I need at least six cord for the winter and I keep checking what I have on it and it only says I have five. It seems that rounds would stack tighter and maybe skew the number? I guess this is just hopeful thinking? My pile is 33ft long 6ft high and 3ft deep..

Anyone have a calculator for various weights of seasoned firewood? The green weight of .5 cord of Oak is ~2800 lbs. How much is it once seasoned? I'm trying not to overload my trailer (5'x8'... 2' sides... 3500lb axle)

Ian

Thanks for the info. I have to somewhat disagree with the heat output from boxelder. We cleared 2 acres of it last year on a job and have to say that it is outstanding as far as heat output, burns much like oak but you definetely have to let it season up. Just FYI.

I had a look at the first chart referenced above and noted that hornbeam
aka ironwood, had a blank under the column "splitting"

I cut one in a couple months back. Limbed it and then started at the base that was about 24". Cut an 18" slab for the woodstock, rolled it over and started swinging.

Then I cut about a 12" slab and started swinging.

Both slabs are still in the feild. Maybe when its -40 I'll get them to split.

Max branch I could split was about 8" diameter.

If I was to suggest an entry for the table it would something between impossible and forget it.

Last edited:
I had a look at the first chart referenced above and noted that hornbeam
aka ironwood, had a blank under the column "splitting"

I cut one in a couple months back. Limbed it and then started at the base that was about 24". Cut an 18" slab for the woodstock, rolled it over and started swinging.

Then I cut about a 12" slab and started swinging.

Both slabs are still in the feild. Maybe when its -40 I get them to split.

Max branch I could split was about 8" diameter.

If I was to suggest an entry for the table it would something between impossible and forget it.

Yup, stringy like elm, but the best firewood I've got. The stuff puts oak to shame. In my sandhills they outgrow the root system and tip over at about 8" diameter or so, so I don't have a lot of it to split. I suggest you beg/borrow/buy/rent a splitter, and get that stuff knocked down to size. You'll love burning it, and it will feel like sweet revenge when you toss a split on the fire!

Gee I'm only 63 now. Maybe a splitter in a few more years.

We filled our propane tank for the furnace a year ago Sept and it's still 60% full.
Heat the house, use about the same amount for the maple syrup evaporator, and cut some for the neighbour, who lets me take deadwood off her lot and tap her maples.

If and when I get a splitter is will be the Split Fire split-fire.com. Never saw one yet but the double acting stroke looks great.

Holy cow, hadn't seen this on AS... I scroll through one thread after I posted this, a BAM. There it was, same link. What do you guys use for reference? I have googled quite a bit, and came across this one. I'm sure that these values aren't written in stone, but looks to be a legitimate source none the less!

Back