Where moved posts go for eternity

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sure...short list but there are several more lists that have the same high rating for both woods (many from 30yrs back) so are all of them wrong? I doubt it.

Probably... But even if the #'s were accurate, they wouldn't be relevant to anyone not standing in an orchard in southern California... And what's with this "Oak" at 28 mil BTU??? Which Oak???
Bogus list,
Just sayin...

I have no doubt that Almond and Olive is very high though...

a list that short probably averages the various species of woods of the same type. Heck we have 5 different oaks on our norcal property and they do not all burn the same :p
I did find one that listed 5 different Euch varieties and 6 oaks along with those same figures for Almond and Olive so at least this one 'tries'.
but...what the heck is "mountain mahogany? :p
Tonys Woods - Tonys Firewood - Sacramento Best Seasoned Firewood Oak Walnut Almond
forgot about Manzanita...makes awesome coals and burns hotter than Madrone
Tree Species and Firewood BTU Ratings Chart for Heat Energy Content

I was just trying to add a couple woods that I've used for decades that were not included in those 'extensive' lists at the beginning of the thread.

Yes... And thank you... I've heard of this Manzanita. And that it is a good fuel for forges, but diminutive in size.
I would love to burn a couple pieces of it someday.

Yes... And thank you... I've heard of this Manzanita. And that it is a good fuel for forges, but diminutive in size.
I would love to burn a couple pieces of it someday.

Email me and I can send you some. We have them on the property up to 14" diameter but by then the tree/shrub is about half dead. Most 'big' ones have 6" branches
this is about the largest one I've found over the years...about 14" base. This pic is about 10yrs old and the tree has been completely dead for several years now.
View attachment 243147

243146d1340740260-ranch-5-25-071-jpg

Now that's a funky tree... Looks like a Hedge tree... But red...

This is why I look for eucalpytus. And why I threw my back out last year! Stuff is a heavy as concrete when green..

Eucalyptus 32.5 - 34.5 3550 - 4560 6470 - 7320
Wet weight per cord no wood hektavier than that!!
Eucalyptus holds a lot of water, so it is heavy. It burns hot because it has a lot of oil in it. It doesn't coal well, and burns too fast, but it is very HOT, and hard to split.

QUOTE..Eucalyptus holds a lot of water, so it is heavy. It burns hot because it has a lot of oil in it. It doesn't coal well, and burns too fast, but it is very HOT, and hard to split.

Good firewood been burning it for yrs.Talking about blue gum.a Year plus curing makes the difference.I use a splitter..Couldn't imagine splitting 3 chord of euc..especially those crotch pieces by hand...:msp_laugh:Coast live oak works well also.Needs special care,needs to be off the ground or it will get funky if the ground is wet or moist.We've got monterey pine also.Lots of pitch,gotta be careful,burns like a b----h!Quick heat-up...Plent of monterey cypress..Generally won't burn it..too many sparks and burns too fast.Usually make kindling sticks,good starter wood.

cheers

Thanks for the BTU reference sheet:) I book marked it, I do have one question though, why isn;t Gum on there? or is it under a different name?

Eucalyptus holds a lot of water, so it is heavy. It burns hot because it has a lot of oil in it. It doesn't coal well, and burns too fast, but it is very HOT, and hard to split.

Geez Louise.

How many times do we have to say it, there are over 700 different species of Eucs.

They have different cutting and burning characteristics ranging from (relatively) soft to concrete like, and ashy to burning incredibly cleanly with amazing coals.

A lot are hard to split although the straight grained species split well.

Geez Louise.

How many times do we have to say it, there are over 700 different species of Eucs.

They have different cutting and burning characteristics ranging from (relatively) soft to concrete like, and ashy to burning incredibly cleanly with amazing coals.

A lot are hard to split although the straight grained species split well.

What do you guys use for the post ripping races over there???

What do you guys use for the post ripping races over there???

Lumberjakau and Ausneil1 would be better answering this seeing as they are the racers, but it all depends on what's available locally.

Ironbark is really popular (harder and denser than Hedge) There are a few different varieties too, Narrow leaf Ironbark was used at this years Oz Titles at Kingaroy in Queensland.
At the practise day I last attended the boys used Grey Ironbark. (Here in NSW, about 7-800km south of Kingaroy)

I can't give you the botanical names ATM, I can't find my disc with them on.

Thanks for the BTU reference sheet:) I book marked it, I do have one question though, why isn;t Gum on there? or is it under a different name?

This has been answered before many times. Have you ever split "green" gum?
It should be done green and about twenty below frozen solid. Try hitting it with a maul LMAO!

Oh btw it still burns like #### even after it is seasoned.

This has been answered before many times. Have you ever split "green" gum?
It should be done green and about twenty below frozen solid. Try hitting it with a maul LMAO!

Oh btw it still burns like #### even after it is seasoned.

Oh yea I've split "green" Gum with a maul before, not fun at all, now I do one of two things, (1) let it season in a solid 16" log, and then split it, or(2) use a chain saw)
sometimes even seasoned I use a chain saw, I have some now that even seasoned the maul and the ten ton hydraulic splitter won't touch it.

I'm surprised you don't have a high demand for it. Other than it's our most abundant wood the extended burn time is a big + for us. For the amount of work and wear and tear on equipment i'm not sure i'd want to sell any for firewood.

After you cut a fencerow hedge (bois d' arc) you feel like you lost a fight with a roll of barb wire. Not that hard but limbs are everywhere and tough, does split well. Cut some 36" trunks less than 40 yrs old,

After you cut a fencerow hedge (bois d' arc) you feel like you lost a fight with a roll of barb wire. Not that hard but limbs are everywhere and tough, does split well. Cut some 36" trunks less than 40 yrs old,

Wow!!! I've cut 18" stuff that was over 80 years old!!! You must have som dandy growing conditions there...

Hope this works, gonna dump some posts that are irrelevant to the stickies in here rather than delete them, maybe, if I can figure it out...

Hooligans?????

Well I never.....

Now my stove ain't getting as hot since you done went and hid the stickies. :msp_confused:

Back