Where or if to cut this limb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CDTS447

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Large (90'+) oak in rear yard above shed. Tree has already shed some dead limbs that have damaged an outbuilding beneath from the limb in question. Limb itself is over 50' long with no obvious lateral branches to reduce to. Possible decay pockets at 3 places along length of branch, 2 from storm damaged branches that appear to be healing over decent and a 3rd closer towards the branch-stem union where another tree's top is becoming included (about 5%). Looks as though this may be the first or second year the trees have been touching.

I'm reluctant to remove the branch at all because of the significance of heartwood exposure... I don't want to have future issues with this tree because of my cut but I'm concerned about the weight, angle, location of the branch over the structure beneath and the potential for decay.

Should I reduce weight at the end and risk the branch continuing to grow? Cable it? Cut it and hope it just heals over? Leave it alone because its an oak and I'm being overly concerned?

The tree that is including is not of consequence... it can be taken or pruned as necessary if the branch in question is to remain. It's possible it will be removed anyway.

Will provide more info if needed.

Tree 1.png Tree 2.png

It would all depend on the location of the tree. I would start by cutting at the first yellow arrow as far away from the trunk as possible, then step back and look at it. You can always go back and cut it back and cut some more off later if you don't like how it looks.
You can always cut more off, but you can't go back after you cut it off. Once it gone it's gone for ever, so start from the outside and work your way closer to the trunk.

Would this be a circumstance where a heading cut is permissible and deal with the ensuing maintenance?

The goal here is to reduce the potential for property damage.

Post a closer up picture of where the branch attaches to the trunk...that looks like a good attachment angle with no included bark. I don't see any big concerns there...but it is hard to see what you are looking at where the arrows are. Normal branch wounds are not a concern.

On the right side of that circle, it looks like there is a fork??? Can you prune back one of those? It would not take off a lot of mass, but being so far out on the end it would remove a relatively significant amount of force.

Doesn't look like one I'd cable - I'd be more likely to hang a swing on it and enjoy the branch!

Probably would remove the small tree if it is physically rubbing against the oak.

Back