Where's WYK been, and what trouble is he making?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EH, that's sessile oak maybe? Mebbe red oak. I forget which one that one is. I'll have a look at the leaves next time out. In any case, the heartwood should be pinkish. It's dark there due to rain and some of it is already partiallly seasoned or rotted since that was from the big limb that broke halfway off before the tree came down. It was too far up for me to safely remove without a climber. If you look up from my 281XP, which looks tiny in that pic, you can see where the limb fissure is at the trunk of the oak.

163234412.3nLtmWcw.jpg

New b&c.

Nothing light about it. Supposedly a lighter laminated bar, but it's heavier than it's stihl or husky counter part. Fit and finish are very tight. Overall I'm impressed, especially since it cost the same as the husky part. Well see how long she lasts. It's 68 DL, running 325 micro chisel, aka bp22. The husky bar it's replacing lasted three months. The stihl bar I have is still usable, but is only 62dl. This 68dl one saves my back, and the ported 241 pulls it easily even buried in oak.

Hey man, You ever hear anything from Dave K up in Wicklow? It's been years since he's been around.

I've met Dave a couple of times up in WIcklow maybe 5 years back. But I havent seen or heard from him in years. I tried his number a few years back and it had gone disconnected. Next time I am visiting my partner up in WIcklow, I'll make an effort to go to the estate he worked there and check up on him and see if they know of his whereabouts.

Yeah. I was thinking of doing the 45* rip thing, halfway between ripping and noodling - which works well with semi chisel chain. I am amazed my semi chisel has lasted this long. I destroyed a 24" chain in half the time. For a wykported 281xp, this thing winds up pretty good in the cut. Ripped the 24" chain in half, damaging it beyond repair in the process. Chains get silly hot when you are cutting big chunks of red oak. I should be taking more breaks.

Back