Where's WYK been, and what trouble is he making?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think about where a tree usually chairs. Typically it's in the front 60% of the tree where all the compression wood is in a hard leaner. It doesn't chair in the back 40% in the tension wood unless there are other factors at play.

I guy would have to be doing 45% u/c to know that. As well not using known techniques to prevent them to even have an opportunity to see if there was a difference? Does sound a funny thing to say. Then you take into the fact the leaning force is intensified.
Its all very very strange.
Considering different parts of the truck cross section have 'different jobs' on a leaner then it certainty opens the mind for possibilities.

It would have to be a big different in the bonding between the fibers then. Maybe some wood doesn't bond well just before it goes into tension because it's neither very compresed or tensed on a leaner? Or perhaps it is very compresed that the bond is weak.
Guy should be able to tell with an axe on green wood, one would think. If you marked one side before blocking them. Could be interesting experiment if done correctly. It would have to be extensive testing..

Actually there is better ways than an axe.

You could try to simulate it . You
could put a bottom sec in a base and push it with something that you could
measer in a unit of work (ft lb)

Have to have a few trees the same size.
they would have to be leaner too. It would be interesting to get some numbers

By 1/2" of hinge seems too much I do mean barber chair. I've seen hickories barber chair with less then 1/2" of full hinge wood left . By full hinge i mean nothing taken out of it, a 1/2" strip of wood left from one corner of the face to the other. It's astounding to see. It really is. You say out loud, you've got to be ****ing kidding me there was almost no wood left to cut, but there it is blown wide open and now you have to deal with cutting it down because hickory will almost never break off when they chair.
Wow!!! That is crazy right there ^^ that's unbelievable.
Another weird thing to me. Alder is the easiest wood to b chair that I
have cut but the hard middle breakes off as long as you ring your sapwood.
You can leave a 1/2" Vee off the corners on a 12-14" tree and snap off with 2 1/2 in the middle.
So it's not the hardend sections that causes it and if it was soft it would bend at an 1" + . Just a different animal all together you are dealing with. I never found that any Interior Aspen Cottonwood,Birch .
,Larch ...or any trees at all that I have cut could b chair in those regions. Frozen? other trees leaning on then?
Snow loads. Never had one happen up there. Lots of times I just dump them with out any special cut. Heavy leaner small stuff I just do a saw kerf undercut (2cut)

Hey, I think I just invented a new kinda vertical wood splinter that can be manually lifted in manageable lengthy or set in with a lift in longer lengthes.
~Patent Pending ~

*runs off to the firewood thread*

Dam this site! Its got more bugs than one of my better girlfriends (maybe I am the common denominater?). I write a post and 'edit in' and 'save change' and my previous post appears in it's t place...then I delete it. That's happened three times to me. I can't see avitars, can't see videos, some peoples pics only. ********

QUOTE="reindeer, post: 6824359, member: 87180"]I think he's porting saws in Ireland. :)
Let us, er, him or me...mostly me,know if ya need a saw ported in Ireland.

WYK[/QUOTE]

Roger.. *wink *

Ok sounds good man. 46 yrs away and I am home now.
Just about took a job in Ireland about 8 months back. Beautiful whether in the south UK. Flowers have been out for 10 days now. If you hear anything good let me known sir. Steady "cash in hand"?

Thank you.

What do you need pictures of? Ash is one of the top three chair prone trees that I deal with. That said if the crotch hits just right on many hardwoods you can split them all the way to butt . If your ash above didn't split ground up then it split back the other way. Also internal cracks can cause them to bust wide open. It looks like you had more then one crack in that tree before you got to it.
So this is the butt log, it didn't quite split on my hinge but yes you can see various cracks in the log ready to split IMG_2442.JPGIMG_2443.JPG

Something I saw Steve billow do on a couple videos. Supposed to prevent barberchairing on a leaner. It seems to work as I’ve done it a few times on learners. However, I does cost 6” of wood on the butt.
I was also swinging the tree, maybe I left too much hold wood, Idk.
I am using a 24” bar and the bored steps I did from the low side as it doesn’t go all the way through,so that leaves 4-6” of holding wood.
I do Gut the face, when the trees on the ground and I look at the cut sometimes I think I could bore in a lot more in the face.
All in all it was a good day on a cool snowstorm day.

Ah the ole step cut...

Still scratching my head as to how this ever made sense to anyone.

It's rare that a tree chairs immediately, more like the lean a bit and the stall, that stall is all the catalyst needed to blow up, by the time tree is really going to chair it's already clear of them steps. Also that much energy being released will just skip tight out of some dinky little step.

Latest posts

Back