Where's WYK been, and what trouble is he making?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh that sticker makes the rounds. You have to order them in a 1 meter square amount. So I have hundreds of them. ;) They find themselves on anything I touch.
Even con saws(which I should charge extra just for the clean up)..

170842022.oGHFbbaT.jpg

A more conservatively drilled Echo:

170842021.rir6sffR.jpg

Jesus Christ. My local dealer wants €60 for an MTronic solenoid.
Better stock up, oh wait, make sure its the current color of the month. At least carb kits are still available. I'm pretty sure gas powered stuff is gonna get banned around here.

So, I pulled the old solenoid out. I 'cleaned it' as much as I dared. Put it back in, and no go. Then, I did a few resets. No go. This morning, I do a reset, and it starts to make that idle sound that I am used to hearing from MTronic. You know, the monotonous 'erhh erhhh erhh erhh erhh erhh'. Just banging on. Before, it was struggling a bit. So I let her go 90 seconds and shut her off. I start her up, and now she wants to rev a bit. It comes and goes, but it's actually responding. I stick it in wood and she cuts tentatively and then angrily, off and on for a minute or two. Then, suddenly, she starts to come back to life. Now I regret all those holes I drilled ;)
But, she is stronger than ever until her next episode. I'm gonna try and get that orange 15 micron filter folks say you should have with the solenoids(reminds me of problems with high pressure common rail diesels that you got to swap out the filters often for). And we'll see if it actually starts tomorrow.

So, I pulled the old solenoid out. I 'cleaned it' as much as I dared. Put it back in, and no go. Then, I did a few resets. No go. This morning, I do a reset, and it starts to make that idle sound that I am used to hearing from MTronic. You know, the monotonous 'erhh erhhh erhh erhh erhh erhh'. Just banging on. Before, it was struggling a bit. So I let her go 90 seconds and shut her off. I start her up, and now she wants to rev a bit. It comes and goes, but it's actually responding. I stick it in wood and she cuts tentatively and then angrily, off and on for a minute or two. Then, suddenly, she starts to come back to life. Now I regret all those holes I drilled ;)
But, she is stronger than ever until her next episode. I'm gonna try and get that orange 15 micron filter folks say you should have with the solenoids(reminds me of problems with high pressure common rail diesels that you got to swap out the filters often for). And we'll see if it actually starts tomorrow.
I hope you get it straightened out Wes. Those were supposed to be the hot 40cc ticket. I'm thinking I like my 024 a bit more now. I had a girlfriend who had a 03 Dodge common rail diesel that had no filter issues. In fact she never changed to filter from new until I did when it had 115k miles on it.

The caterpillars were having the problems. We had one where if you did't swap the fuel filter every 12K miles(basically every oil change), the injectors would eventually die. That was a 3160 I think?
I went to the saw just now and started it up. It ran as well as it ever has.
I mean...I dunno. It's all witchcraft.

Also, if I recall, this and the 441 were the first saws with MTronic. I got this thing in a trade. There is no way I would have bought it. I didn't like the idea of MTronic when it came out. Not because I hate progress or change, I just hate complicated equipment. ANd this saw is a good example.

A great example of a modern piece of uncomplicated equipment is the Maruyama weed eater. It literally has nothing on it the thing doesn't need. NO complicated drive covers, no weird handle trying to hide the control wires, no mtronic, no 10 piece engine shroud. Easier to work on than a chainsaw. And my favourite piece of equipment we have. I believe Maruyama is under the Makita umbrella. SO it's chainsaws are rebadged DOlmars/Shindaiwas, and Echo's. I dunno if the trimmer is maruyama make or yet another brand rebadged.

https://maruyama-us.com/product/b42/
B42_600px.png

I mean, their last one was a Kawasaki. It died and needed work. The handle would always shift no matter how well you tightened it.I removed the handle and ground some flutes in to the shaft so it would grip it better when I tightened it down, and it still would come a bit lose. Just such a bad design. The stupid thing had a two piece blade cover. WTF. ANd look at that idiotic engine shroud.

screen_shot_2018-04-19_at_16.jpg

Also, if I recall, this and the 441 were the first saws with MTronic. I got this thing in a trade. There is no way I would have bought it. I didn't like the idea of MTronic when it came out. Not because I hate progress or change, I just hate complicated equipment. ANd this saw is a good example.

A great example of a modern piece of uncomplicated equipment is the Maruyama weed eater. It literally has nothing on it the thing doesn't need. NO complicated drive covers, no weird handle trying to hide the control wires, no mtronic, no 10 piece engine shroud. Easier to work on than a chainsaw. And my favourite piece of equipment we have. I believe Maruyama is under the Makita umbrella. SO it's chainsaws are rebadged DOlmars/Shindaiwas, and Echo's. I dunno if the trimmer is maruyama make or yet another brand rebadged.

https://maruyama-us.com/product/b42/
B42_600px.png

I mean, their last one was a Kawasaki. It died and needed work. The handle would always shift no matter how well you tightened it.I removed the handle and ground some flutes in to the shaft so it would grip it better when I tightened it down, and it still would come a bit lose. Just such a bad design. The stupid thing had a two piece blade cover. WTF. ANd look at that idiotic engine shroud.

screen_shot_2018-04-19_at_16.jpg
Either that extended shroud is part of a good AV system, or its a copycat of the Husky and Stihl brush cutters in appearance only. My old fs550 looked like that, but it was extremely smooth. Is the one in the bottom picture heavy and smooth or does it just have the same looks as a the commercial brush cutters?

Either that extended shroud is part of a good AV system, or its a copycat of the Husky and Stihl brush cutters in appearance only. My old fs550 looked like that, but it was extremely smooth. Is the one in the bottom picture heavy and smooth or does it just have the same looks as a the commercial brush cutters?

It no longer runs.
So, yeah, it is very smooth now. :)

Magic 8-ball says "my sources say yes"

It's still lying, dead, in the shed. I can take a look at it. I do recall it being smooth...until the handles come off.
But I use a brush cutter so rarely, and when I do, for so little, that AV means nothing to me. But, then again, my finger tips hurt a lot. So maybe I should worry.
Another problem is the Kawi was HEAVY. Literally more than half again the weight of the Maruyama. That is something you notice immediately, and then it starts to wear on you in short order.
I did use something like an fs550 way back in the UK when I worked for that outfit. And it was not what I would call smooth.
At the end of the day you felt like hell - especially since it would send all matter of crap flying at your face even with PPE on.
Another thing I should mention is we asked a rental outfit what brushcutter they use and why. They said the Maruyama was robust, and when it needed repair, cheap and easy. And it was powerful for it's size.
Ours is bone stock.

Maruyama make excellent trimmers and cutters. Very reasonably priced as well.
It might be heresy but I would consider an electric one next time I’m looking to replace one of mine. I want to wait a while though to see how the market develops before going all in.

The other side. Water over flows here nearly every winter. I'm surprised these oaks have grow so large.
That chainsaw bar don't look that nice now, tho...
I reported to the estate owner that it had some rot in it. So I have to return to it tomorrow and make another cut or so to see if we can make planks out of it.

170860400.kIKom0VA.DSC_9782.JPG

Back