Where's WYK been, and what trouble is he making?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I say what my father said: Sleep on your belly, son!

Didn't really work...

Well, I have't posted in a while. I've been still doing the rescue thing and seeing the same lovely Irish gal. I have a bazillion photos I still need to upload. For now, here's like, 1% of them, I have uploaded:

Various Irish and European sights Photo Gallery by WYK at pbase.com

I am trying to get back in to forestry, but it's starting from scratch now. I only have a chassis for a saw, and that's still in England. Ugh.

What do you need for parts for the 365?

I appreciate the thought, but sending stuff to Ireland from the States ain't cheap. I have a piston and cylinder I've already ported I got from MCW for a great price(thanks!). I just need to go over to England and grab that chassis. It's not even cheap mailing a chassis from the UK to Ireland - about $150. It cost me about that much to simply go get it since it's not far from the Ferry near Cardiff. I might go and do it weekend after this(this weekend looks like I will be in Cork). I think my bud will meet me in Cardiff if I help with fuel. The Ferry is something silly like $25USD round trip. SO that's not a bother except for the time it would take.

I am trying to save up for something like a 560 or a 550. But those are silly expensive here(nearly half a again what they are in the states). So I am just keeping a look out for a 50cc saw. Man, I miss my ported lil Echo - that was a great lil runner.

So, what are you guys up to then? I'm about to head in to work ;)
We just sent 12 Greyhounds to Italy this week for adoptions. Greyhounds in Ireland are treated like livestock, so it's a great feeling to home a few.

Y'all take care!

Nice pictures Wes. Thanks for posting them. After looking at the roads, I believe I'd be hard pressed to get around in my crewcab Superduty:hmm3grin2orange:

Nice pictures Wes. Thanks for posting them. After looking at the roads, I believe I'd be hard pressed to get around in my crewcab Superduty:hmm3grin2orange:

Gawd I love yer Ford. Wish I had me one. But -not here. Here, I'd settle for the DMAX(Isuzu diesel version of the Chevy Colorado).

If you've read my Blog - an American living and working in Ireland during the height of the Celtic Tiger you'd know I have driven a lorrie, AKA truck, in Ireland for a living at one point. Here's the little gallery for that: Wrecking In Ireland Photo Gallery by WYK at pbase.com

And the Gallery from my time in Dublin back in 2008: LIVING IN IRELAND Photo Gallery by WYK at pbase.com - many of those photos are from the trucks I was driving. I ran in to a lot of things like this while driving a 13 ton recovery truck:
original.jpg

Hrm, bridge could be 50 years old or 250 years old - hope I'm lucky.

Nice pics indeed. Generally, the older things are, the cooler I think they look. By the by, it's raining like Florida here right now. Won't last more than a few minutes, I'm sure, but it does take a bit of the edge off my worry about a dry June and a long fire season.

We've fortunately had a very mild summer. No real rain at all. I've been spending each weekend travelling about with my GF. We get to see sights like these:

The Rock of Dunamase, AKA Dún Másc(Fort of Másc)

large.jpg

Cahir Castle(Caisleán na Cathrach):

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

- That's the lady herself hiding behind the signage.

Tramore(Trá Mhór - the big strand/beach)
large.jpg

large.jpg

And Timahoe(Tigh Mochua: 'House of Mochua')

large.jpg

I'll try and upload more tonight. I literally have hundreds of pics I haven't upped yet due to me living in the boonies in Tipperary. I'm really lucky just to have internet at all.

I'm down in Cork this weekend, out in the boonies(mostly Béal an Dá Chab, meaning "mouth of the two river fords" and Schull - pronounced SKULL!, with the exclamation). I'll take some photos and see if I can share em. Here's more eye candy in the meantime:

View from The Rock of Dunamase:

large.jpg

The Rock of Cashel viewed from Hore Abbey:

large.jpg

Hore Abbey viewed from the Rock of Cashel:

large.jpg

And an old Irish yield sign:

large.jpg

Was at Glendalough last weekend:

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

And Baltinglas:

large.jpg

large.jpg

And Cork the weekend previous:

large.jpg

large.jpg

Been hot recently. They say likely will be the hottest summer on record if it keeps up, and there is no end in sight. :(

OK, I nearly forgot I was at the forestry show in Sraidbhaile, AKA Stradbally, AKA 'town with a street', aka middle of nowhere.

Here are a couple of photos:

Random guy with a coon hat:

large.jpg

Wood Henge:

large.jpg

People climbed things:

large.jpg

I touched a 560xp. They told me to stop touching it so much. It creeped em out.

large.jpg

Some dude had a silly little saw with a muff mod

large.jpg

A place where they showed forestry stuff to forestry people:

large.jpg

A uh..a thing...with a thing:

large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
some of that wood looks like poplar, do ya have that there or what is it? just curios.
wood henge and a block behind the silly saw guy.

Plenty of poplar hereabouts, much of which is large. Those logs in the back look like they could be ash, or sycamore/maple, as well. Ash is extremely common here and is used for just about everything. Basically, if you can find it in England, it's also here. We also have spruce, cedars, tamaracks, pines of all types, lots of noble fir and some douglas fir(usually referred to as Oregon pine here), atlas cedars, loads of cypress, and even giant sequoias and coastal redwoods(I am literally around the corner from a bunch of 7-8'DBH sequoias right now in Bray, Ireland). Remember, David Douglas, whom the fir was named for and after, lived in England. He brought back a LOT of species from the PNW and west coast that thrive here today.

I just checked the video, and the wood he is cutting with the piped 3120 looks to be seasoned Beech. I'll try and upload it now that I am in Bray(county Wicklow, 40 mins from Dublin) instead of backwoods Tipperary.

OK, here's the vid. Mind you, this isn't a race, it's simply a demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0rnhCEF1gs

Last edited by a moderator:
They are nice. Only one problem...

560XP 18 INCH CHAIN SAW | The Husqvarna Centre Cork

:(

For half that I can get a new Echo 500P(known here as the 500ES)...

In my necks of the brush the shelf price is just about the same. The dealers have given a 100 quid discount without blinking an eye, hearsay.

Keep touching it. Maybe your fingers all over the saw will set the dealer on the edge.

Back