Where's WYK been, and what trouble is he making?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Down in Cork again for the weekend. I'll have more photos in a bit. I bought that popped piston procarbine2k1 had up for sale to use in my BB ported 372(assuming I ever get that chassis). We'll see how that goes. Until then, enjoy this awesome video a couple of Canadians made of their time in Ireland:

A Fortnight Plus Half - An Ireland Adventure. (irelandtrip.ca) on Vimeo

Well, sort of getting back in to forestry. Setting up a shop to mod saws here at the moment. Also, I spent the day in DJouce Wood in Wicklow, Ireland:

large.jpg

It's at about 1,000-1,200 feet or so. So some Doug Fir, Noble Fir, Spruce, Hemlocks, and cedars about. But what really caught my eye were these behemoths sprinkled amongst them:

large.jpg

large.jpg

Only hiked about 5 miles or so. The forest is a 'working forest', so logging does occur. Much or the Spruce I saw was 3'+ DBH. All in all a nice time with the woman and the hounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad they won't take chainsaws on board. Norwegian sells tickets from Helsinki to Ireland for 39€. I'd have a couple of saws for you to do at the new shop.

Good luck!

Too bad they won't take chainsaws on board. Norwegian sells tickets from Helsinki to Ireland for 39€. I'd have a couple of saws for you to do at the new shop.

Good luck!

Shop should be ready soon. If you pay shipping, I'll do one of yours for free to show to yer buds. PM me when yer ready.

Still toolin around. Was in Wicklow the other day enjoying some fine food:

large.jpg

The guy in England hasn't responded to me about the chainsaw. Either he's busy or he's tired of me asking bout it.
Just in case, anyone got a 365/372 shortblock they need to sell off? )

Times are rough here in Ireland. Here's an image from the most recent bomb threat today in Dublin:

bomb2.jpg

And the unemployment is so bad, it's become part of the teaching curriculum:

BU7khekCYAAVVzm.jpg

Looks funky but handy.

I just have too many parts for a 372 chassis. So still trying to hunt one down. I got a bid on a jonsered 2165, er THE Jonsered 2165 on EBay UK. SO wish me luck. I have some work lined up, but I'll need some saws. Otherwise, still chillin, working part time at the dog rescue, and seeing the Irish woman. I have a few more images I need to put up still. I'll try and work on those tomorrow evening. I gotta work tomorrow day.

A bud said I could find work in the UK operating a feller buncher or harvester. The license isn't cheap, and I will be getting some instruction as well. So, looking in to it. I may then have to move to the UK, tho. As that sort of work is part time only in Ireland.

In other news, my Greyhound was attacked by an Alsatian, AKA German Shepherd, a week or so ago. I managed to grab the shepherd by the scruff and tail and throw it for distance, and it left the scene before it killed my hound(which I have absolutely no doubt it would have had I not intervened). Hound has a hole in it from one of the canines that tore into her chest. It's mebbe 2"X3" and 2-3" deep. Vet had a look and said it was too deep and wide for stitching. So I have been using saline solution with manuka honey to clean it, and feeding her loads of antibiotics. Fortunately it didn't severe any major vessels or muscles. She can walk easily. She is healing amazingly fast. But it looks absolutely brutal. I'd post an image, but, yeah - you really don't wanna see it.

Really sorry to hear about your dog Wes. Hope she'll heal OK. Is she the one you had at my place?

Thanks for the kind words, buds. Yes, Joe, the very same hound you saw. She's with me here in my mobile home dreaming of rabbit and farting like a corn fed heifer. The noodle (long story, but that's her nickname), is doing amazingly well. She is healing very quickly. Been treating the wound with manuka honey(which is terrible in tea, btw) and saline. It is starting to close up real good. We may be able to stitch it soon. It also looks like they may have to put down the Alsatian that attacked her as he's done it before, and according to the warden "Acts an arse of itself a fair bit". I hate to see it happen, but I gotta say I am not too fond of that dog at the moment.

In other news, I bought a JRed 2165 in decent condition for about 200 pounds. That's a lot in USD but not so much in Euro. Still, it hurts me, I don't make crap here. New, they are still 900 Euro. :( So this will have to do. It is in Yorkshire, and a bud is grabbing it over the weekend for me. He may be able to drop it by early next week if all goes well. I will then put this ported cylinder and pop up piston on it and do some work. I hope it's in as good a condition as they said. GWO is what they call it here: Good Working Order.

Logging here is different from the States, Northman. They do not use it for construction, only interiors, some joists, stairs, interior framing, furniture, sheds, etc. The rest is masonry or stone. So it isn't too active here, especially since the economy here is even worse than there. It's mostly part time work. If I got the certs for forestry equipment(I currently have 3 for chainsaws), I would likely have to go to France or the UK for steady work. I also want to grab a couple more chainsaw certs while I am ait it.

As most of you know, I have a Greyhound for a pet. I have a soft spot for them. So, for most there's really no surprise I am working most days at a rescue that deals heavily with Greyhounds. What might be a surprise is this bit of information I put up on my facebook not too long ago:

According to the Irish Coursing Club, close to 24,000 Greyhound pups are registered per year. This now puts Ireland as the #1 producer of Greyhounds in the world; well ahead of the US after the decline of the industry through the 2000's(~11,000 were registered for racing in 2011, vs ~25,000 in 2003 - 26 tracks had closed since), and is six times the amount of greyhound puppies officially registered in the UK. There are 6 million people on this rock here, and Greyhounds(and lurchers - greyhound crossbreeds) are not seen as pets in Ireland for various reasons(their size and perceived viciousness being some of them). So we got our hands full here just putting a tiny dent in this mess. :(

You've seen some of my photos, many of them are from the places in the video I've included. Here's Rick Steve's short take on Wicklow, the county my Fiancee' lives:

[video=youtube;AMujxuSo9ac]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMujxuSo9ac[/video]

The headstone on the left is the one he is leaning against at 1:00 in the video, and in the insert up above:

large.jpg

reindeer. been cutting up at the old hippie commune up off of sawtell and doane cr road. maybe hook up next time your back in the neighborhood.

reindeer. been cutting up at the old hippie commune up off of sawtell and doane cr road. maybe hook up next time your back in the neighborhood.

Been thru there a couple of times. I miss Willamina. I don't miss 2 weeks with lows in the teens. But the snow we had there last time was gorgeous. Good to see yer keeping busy. Did any of that storm last week touch any of you guys? Ireland has been very mild. The summer was gorgeous. Almost too much sun. But now the rain is back. Raining right now. But at least it never really gets to cold here. In any case, the woman gave me a bottle of Jameson to keep me warm.

BTW, there's a decent mexican restaurant in Sheridan if you care to try. Great salsa! Just south of downtown near the HS. Ugh, just realized how much I miss mexican food!

We just sent a van full of Greyhounds out to a rescue in Italy. I never thought volunteering at an animal rescue would be so hard on my soul. We see a lot of bad cases. Ya nurse em back to health, and then ya gotta give em away. I surely do miss some of these critters.

Back