Where's WYK been, and what trouble is he making?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The light here in Ireland is often very soft due to the clouds and the angle of the sun virtually all year. These next few are good examples. They all look like I shot them in a lightbox, but it's done in evening light with very little post processing. This first one has only been cropped, no noise or sharpness added even though it is ISO 1000, exposed at -.7EV:

170743833.AvXzvL8v._5260098.jpg

The rest are mildly warmed over:

170743831.Lm8FVkwy._5260083.jpg

170743834.i27HKSOL._5260119.jpg

170743836.FNEknCin._5260143.jpg

170743837.SqRu5eeA._5260197.jpg

170743838.wKidmyXV._5260239.jpg

170743840.XYxHbMhN._5260248.jpg

170743842.Q8rSetEL._5260257.jpg

170743843.XpvoBOwu._5260260.jpg

Wow, noticed a lot of early images and some videos aren't posting right since this is the third or fourth upgrade of this site since I started this thread.

I'll just chuck up a 10 year old vid of my hacking it up in ENgland here then:

Yeah, I know I shoulda had my helmet on at the start.

So I am back on the estate. Making firewood as usual. But also helping them restore the farm house I am staying in. It's an utter mess inside. But outside, it's starting to come together.
This is actual white washing with lime. No wonder Huck Finn didn't wanna do it. It burns!
170827920.nL7afw9u.jpg

170827921.4bEM9ugo.jpg

This is what the wood pile next to the farm house looks like after I haven't fed it for 5 months:

170827912.3T15dyUW.jpg

In the middle of that arch is an homage to the goat they used to let roam on the estate that someone left them to retire here.
Here name was rosie - she actually just fell dead right at the wood pile a couple of months back:

170827910.IBe2r8Gc.jpg

I recall one evening walking back to the house from the forestry when Rosie came out at me from the bushes to welcome me. Startled the crap outta me!
It's was then I realized I am no match for a leopard or a jaguar in the jungle if a nearly dead goat can sneak up on me while she's chewing her weeds.

We still have loads of wood, mostly oak, seasoned sitting about ready to burn, so we'll be OK for the winter:

170827913.yW19FLtJ.jpg

So, I have this old 241CM that is a complete pain to run. It's unreliable and does all sort of random stuff. I replaced the carb last year. I ain't chucking any mo money in to it. So today I took it and I cut half off the flywheel key and shoved it back together, and poured some of our 98 octane fuel in to it. It won't idle, but it fires up. I kept blipping it to keep her alive and then shoved her in to some 20 inch chunks of oak. And holy SCHMOKES! Now I know what to do if I am ever in another gtg saw off.
So after 3 super strong cuts, like heavily ported 346xp 50cc like pulls, she dies. Smoking, heat, burning smell, the whole deal.
I leave her alone for an hour while I set up my 044. I ground off the bucking spikes a bit coz they were too long. These are the things you do in Ireland when you're bored.
I went back to the 241, removed the flywheel, shoved a thin piece of bailing wire in to the keyway so the timing is back to standard. And she runs. Well, she runs like she used to - unreliably. But it doesn't seem to be worse for the suepr hot super advanced timing run. Just she's not as strong now.
SO yeah...timing advance.

So I am back on the estate. Making firewood as usual. But also helping them restore the farm house I am staying in. It's an utter mess inside. But outside, it's starting to come together.
This is actual white washing with lime. No wonder Huck Finn didn't wanna do it. It burns!
170827920.nL7afw9u.jpg

170827921.4bEM9ugo.jpg

This is what the wood pile next to the farm house looks like after I haven't fed it for 5 months:

170827912.3T15dyUW.jpg

In the middle of that arch is an homage to the goat they used to let roam on the estate that someone left them to retire here.
Here name was rosie - she actually just fell dead right at the wood pile a couple of months back:

170827910.IBe2r8Gc.jpg

I recall one evening walking back to the house from the forestry when Rosie came out at me from the bushes to welcome me. Startled the crap outta me!
It's was then I realized I am no match for a leopard or a jaguar in the jungle if a nearly dead goat can sneak up on me while she's chewing her weeds.

We still have loads of wood, mostly oak, seasoned sitting about ready to burn, so we'll be OK for the winter:

170827913.yW19FLtJ.jpg

Some folks have said giving a ported 241 more air helps it. So... I added air. Hadn't helped. This is basically a parts saw.
So, I have this old 241CM that is a complete pain to run. It's unreliable and does all sort of random stuff. I replaced the carb last year. I ain't chucking any mo money in to it. So today I took it and I cut half off the flywheel key and shoved it back together, and poured some of our 98 octane fuel in to it. It won't idle, but it fires up. I kept blipping it to keep her alive and then shoved her in to some 20 inch chunks of oak. And holy SCHMOKES! Now I know what to do if I am ever in another gtg saw off.
So after 3 super strong cuts, like heavily ported 346xp 50cc like pulls, she dies. Smoking, heat, burning smell, the whole deal.
I leave her alone for an hour while I set up my 044. I ground off the bucking spikes a bit coz they were too long. These are the things you do in Ireland when you're bored.
I went back to the 241, removed the flywheel, shoved a thin piece of bailing wire in to the keyway so the timing is back to standard. And she runs. Well, she runs like she used to - unreliably. But it doesn't seem to be worse for the suepr hot super advanced timing run. Just she's not as strong now.
SO yeah...timing advance.

It made no difference, of course. I am gonna pull the carb apart and hopefully it just needs a clean.
A one year old carb. If this doesn't do it, it's a parts saw.
Thanks for the MTronic, Stihl. It's made our lives so much better.
Having said that, I did get at least a few years use out of it.
But just not quite as much as I have out of my 044 and 288...

THIS IS A DRILL

THIS IS ONLY A DRILL

Back