which 2 cycle oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd

Reaction score
I'm curious what 2-stroke oils are acceptable in a chainsaw. I am planning to purchase a husky 351 or 346 and want to make sure I take care of it. Also, I have 2 other 2-stroke engines in the garage and was curious if the same pre-mix fuel would work in those assuming the same ratio? I have some Amzoil 2-cycle oil but would be reluctant to use in the saw unless I hear otherwise from you folks here.

Howdy,

Please stay with 2-cycle oil by and for an aircooled engine. It is far different stuff than for water cooled or even snowmobile. If you stick to Chainsaw branded, now days you will be at either 40:1 or 50:1. This means less carbon buildup and firescreen plugging.

Remember, your new chainsaw is a high performance engine and it operates at internal temperatures near twice that of a water cooled engine. It requires good oil, and oil that can withstand that kind of heat. It is pushing the limits of oil breakdown temperature. Even the air cooled snowmobile runs at lower internal temperatures than a chainsaw.

Regards,
Walt Galer

stick with 2-stroke oil that is made for AIRCOOLED 2cycle engines. aircooled 2cycles run much hotter than ex. outboards that are water cooled. i would recommend husky xp oil as it has a gas stabilizer in it, or stihl oil. personally i would not let anyone pry my fingers off my mobil mx2t synthetic oil made for 2 stroke aircooled motorcycle engines - essentially the very same type of motors that are in a chainsaw and sure as heck are usually run hard. also - do not thin you mix!!! use 50:1 ratio and never go leaner than that - i use the synthetic at 40:1.

There are two oils that meet or exceed all recommendations by JASO FC and ISO L-EGD and they are "ECHO" and "HUSQVARNA". These two oils also (I beleive) warrent they're mix via 50:1 with "89 OCTANE OR BETTER" fuel against "LUBRICATION FAILURE". They also allow for alcohol at 10%.(as if you can find it with "only" 10%) Also I personally don't like or recommend any synthetic oils.

so does mobil mx2t - meets and exceeds every standard for 2 stroke oils including jaso fc.

and i sure as heck can find alot more that do - you could too if you looked - and you would find that most of them were synthetics.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back