Which bar/chain for Echo CS-490

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stantonizm

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've been searching for info but coming up pretty dry so far, so I figured I'd ask. I just got an Echo CS 490 off eBay on a whim. I have a 372XT for bigger stuff and wanted a saw I could tinker with and use for odds and ends stuff.

It comes with a 20" bar which is bigger than what I'm wanting to run on it. I'm debating between 16" or 18", but leaning towards going 16". I started bar shopping though and can't hardly find any bars listed for that model. I found one a post that referenced a K216 mount, but the availability of bars seemed really limited and the ones I found with K216 in the number didn't actually list the CS 490 as a supported model. I don't want to order the wrong one.

What is a good quality aftermarket bar for this model? And what would be the optimal chain to run on a saw this size running a 16 or 18" bar in hardwood?

Thanks
James

http://en.oregonproducts.com/pro/lookups/selguide.aspx?BusId=OCS&SellReg=USA&LangId=ENG
There’s the Oregon info. I have 18” on mine, 20” is too much. On one I converted it from the .325 to 3/8 91vxl, really cuts. The 490 definitely needs a muff mod and carb limiters removed and retune carb. Before doing that to me the 490 was a pig. Good thing the 490 muffmod is super simple and quick, look on YouTube. The 18” does well, 95% of the wood I cut is oak, ash.

http://en.oregonproducts.com/pro/lookups/selguide.aspx?BusId=OCS&SellReg=USA&LangId=ENG
There’s the Oregon info. I have 18” on mine, 20” is too much. On one I converted it from the .325 to 3/8 91vxl, really cuts. The 490 definitely needs a muff mod and carb limiters removed and retune carb. Before doing that to me the 490 was a pig. Good thing the 490 muffmod is super simple and quick, look on YouTube. The 18” does well, 95% of the wood I cut is oak, ash.

Thanks! Definitely planning on doing the mods you mentioned right off the bat.

What goes into converting the saw from .325 to 3/8?

Had to buy a rim for the 3/8 and a bar for 3/8. I got the rim from https://performanceoutdoorequipment.com/m/index.htm.
I took an 18” Echo 400 bar and shortened the tail so that 18” chain from a 400 would fit. Now I can run same chain on 400 and 490 and the 490 screams with that chain on. Call Nate at the shop to purchase the conversion rim.

Had to buy a rim for the 3/8 and a bar for 3/8. I got the rim from https://performanceoutdoorequipment.com/m/index.htm.
I took an 18” Echo 400 bar and shortened the tail so that 18” chain from a 400 would fit. Now I can run same chain on 400 and 490 and the 490 screams with that chain on. Call Nate at the shop to purchase the conversion rim.

That may be a little more involved than I’m comfortable going just yet. Any recommendations for .325 chain for it? Is the chain oddball or fairly standard?

The conversion isn’t hard. Just pop the e-clip, pull the washer, pull the rim, put new rim on, put washer on, reinstall e-clip. Done. To shorten the tail just clamp it in a vise and shorten the tail with a grinder until you can get the chain on, just takes a little time fitting it. If you’re going to stay with the .325 look on eBay for 20lpx0–, the 2 hyphens will be how many drive links, that depends on what bar you use and the Oregon chart tells you how many drive links for each size bar.

The conversion isn’t hard. Just pop the e-clip, pull the washer, pull the rim, put new rim on, put washer on, reinstall e-clip. Done. To shorten the tail just clamp it in a vise and shorten the tail with a grinder until you can get the chain on, just takes a little time fitting it. If you’re going to stay with the .325 look on eBay for 20lpx0–, the 2 hyphens will be how many drive links, that depends on what bar you use and the Oregon chart tells you how many drive links for each size bar.

Does it require re-cutting the amount holes too, or literally just shortening with a grinder? That I could probably handle. And you just start with an 18” that’ll fit the CS-400? Sorry for all the questions

Does it require re-cutting the amount holes too, or literally just shortening with a grinder? That I could probably handle. And you just start with an 18” that’ll fit the CS-400? Sorry for all the questions
Asking is only way you learn. Just grind the bar, make sure to clean up any sharp edges and clean any hanging burrs. Yep, 18” Echo 400 bar. When you go to do it and have any questions just pm me. I can walk you thru it and send a pic of what the finish bar looks like. When you put the finished bar on and tighten the chain up make sure to lift the front of the bar while tightening to keep oil holes lined up. Also with a new chain make sure you check chain tension after a couple cuts until initial stretch is gone.

I was looking at the 3/8 rims. Didn’t see them on the linked site, but found them elsewhere. There seem to be a lot of options on those as well. Do you know the measurements of the correct one?

Asking is only way you learn. Just grind the bar, make sure to clean up any sharp edges and clean any hanging burrs. Yep, 18” Echo 400 bar. When you go to do it and have any questions just pm me. I can walk you thru it and send a pic of what the finish bar looks like. When you put the finished bar on and tighten the chain up make sure to lift the front of the bar while tightening to keep oil holes lined up. Also with a new chain make sure you check chain tension after a couple cuts until initial stretch is gone.
Shouldnt have to do any grinding with the echo bars. Didnt need to do anything to the bars I used to make it work.

Would this house-brand bar from Baileys work? I like the black bar. If not, what would be the highest quality bar that would fit on one. It looked like the Oregon replacement parts were designated as “occasional use”. Which, I will be using it only occasionally, but would rather use the best parts I can.

“WoodlandPRO 16" ArborMAX Bar & Chain Combo Universal Mount (56 Drive Links) WPA 16 UM50 / WPL 30LP56”

http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaw-Bars/Professional-Sprocket-Nose-Guide-Bars/WoodlandPRO-Chainsaw-Bars/WoodlandPRO-ArborMAX-Bar-Chain-Combos/WoodlandPRO-16-ArborMAX-Bar-Chain-Combo-Universal-Mount-56-Drive-Links-WPA-16-UM50-WPL-30LP56.axd

I run this on my 501p (same saw basically):

Narrow kerf so it's a bit more forgiving in the cut. Seems to work well!

I was just wondering about an NK b/c for those when you posted. That's what I prefer for 50cc. Bonus of not having to change the sprocket.

The NK setup is good also from what I heard. I went 3/8lp because it matched the 355t and maid for one less file to carry when out cutting.

I’m still having trouble deciding between an 18” with NK or LP or a plain 16” .325. I’d have more options chain-wise with the 16” .325, it would take care of most anything I’d need, and I have sharpeners available for it. But having a lite weight 18” seems like it would have advantages too. Would the files/rotary stones for a standard .325 work on an NK chain?

i have a narrow kerf from bailys 16 inch .325 same bar for a cs 500p and the same bar for a poulan 295/4620.... and it rips..... i have thought about doing the conversion as i have a ton of lopro bars and chains....it will pull an 18 or a 16 but the 16 it screams.... 20 is a lil much....

Back