Which chain for chainsaw mill?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burtle

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a Stihl MS461 with a 30" Bar. I just bought a mill for it.

Which chain do you guys suggest? Right off the bat I'll be milling Red Elm. After that I'll be milling some ash logs

Which sharpener do you suggest? I'm looking for the most user friendly grinder/sharpener I can buy....

How often do you guys usually sharpen the chain? I've been told a 15 degree angle would be perfect for red elm.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Links help too!

I have a Stihl MS461 with a 30" Bar. I just bought a mill for it.

Which chain do you guys suggest? Right off the bat I'll be milling Red Elm. After that I'll be milling some ash logs

Which sharpener do you suggest? I'm looking for the most user friendly grinder/sharpener I can buy....

How often do you guys usually sharpen the chain? I've been told a 15 degree angle would be perfect for red elm.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Links help too!
The avatar shows my ms-460 muffler modded to release the heat, very important in milling. The chain I prefer is square chisel skip that cuts and clears chips better for me than ripping comp. Square chisel can be a larger challenge than semi chisel to learn how to file. The grinder you use in the shop is in the shop when the edges need touch up after twenty or thirty square feet of milling.IMG_20160929_112222.jpg
The Ash log is being sliced the way I got started years ago. A bit over twenty square feet each slice, small amount of touch up on the cutters and every 4th or 5th a few swipes on the rakers. Standard mounting of the Alaskan slows the swapping of chains which can get pricey if 100' reel of chain is not purchased.
Only took about 19 months to get down to four or so feet on the end of the reel since my most used size is 42" followed by 50" & 60" with a 72" that is a just in case bar. I wood have used a six foot bar for the last available table top my mill is sitting on in my avatar.
The angle of the bar to the log helps use the resistance of the wood being cut and the downhill to self feed thru the cut.
Best advice on sharpening is milling 101 @BobL from Australia is retired teacher ( means we don't pay for his experience shared) where the logs are harder to cut, the gentleman freely shares his knowledge gained from years of doing.
If you really want a grinder, my choice is a Simmington for the square chisel I run as soon as I can rationalize spending $1100 w/shipping with the limited amount of time I will keep milling.
Use " search" to find threads on the subject of interest to you is another advice
Stay safe and enjoy

I'd look into the Granberg products, someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in, but I believe they're the only ones with the modified scoring cutters on their ripping chain. Cut faster and cleaner then the round chisel I was working with. The G-106B is a handy little jig they sell that mounts on your chainsaw bar and lets you dial in the angle, height, and tilt of your file. 10° seems to be about the standard for ripping chain but you can play with the angle for different types of wood. A loop of the chain and the filing jig will probably run you around $100 and (in my opinion) would be a good place to start. Good luck with your new addiction.

I used to run 27A at 10 degrees. Also ran Granbergs milling chain where they cut a tooth in half I think it was every other one. I liked the Grandberg the best but 27A worked well and was readily available in my area. I prefer round ground semi chisel for milling, not as aggressive and holds an edge a lot longer. That's what worked for me.

There's also the Malloff grind to consider, a round ground, square edge, full comp chain, filed straight across at 0° with a 45° hook angle (50° if using a grinder). Will Malloff called it the ultimate chain for lumbermaking.

Back