Which dump trailer to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CDL are federal laws. The state has no options. If you’re delivering a product and you’re over 26,000lbs truck or combined you need a CDL.
Id really like to see a C30 or F350 with 10,000lbs in the bed.
I loaded 1 1/4” stone she weighed 16k in my one ton truck.

16K IN the truck, or 16K gross?
Just an FYI I did an inspection on a 2020 2500 ram last week. Gvw was just over 10k. Gas truck, nothing special about it. I was pretty surprised it was rated at such a high weight. It's a work truck and the owner uses it as such. He emptied it out to bring it in, but normally tips the scales right at 9800lbs when it's loaded up. Had 4b registration on it, and it's a 3/4 ton truck. Crazy how they rate stuff these days.

Just remember any trailer licenced over 10k requires a class A cdl. Doesnt matter the state. We just got hit at work for that. Had our youngest boy who hasn't gotten his cdl yet hauling our mini hoe, machine weighs just shy of 12k lbs, trailer is rated for 14k. Cost a pile in fines. Wont be doing that again.
For what it's worth, I borrow a friends 10k dump trailer occasionally. It's an Appalachian. 7'x16' its held up reasonably well, I dont care for the twin cylinders on it, sometimes as it lifts it kinds wobbles side to side, like the cylinders are binding somehow. Other then that it has held up well. Not used for any sort of production work, so ymmv
No, only if the truck + trailer combined GVWR is under 26,000. If you have a 10,000 GVWR pickup and a 15,999 GVWR trailer, you're right under the limit. The only way you can do more than 10,000 on the trailer without a CDL is if you stay under 26,000 combined weight ratings. However, you can go above 26,000 combined vehicle weight rating if you keep your trailer weight at 10,000 maximum. You can technically drive a 26,000 GVWR truck with a 10,000 GVWR trailer without a CDL, just your regular class D License. A lot of people don't know that. As soon as you go above 26000 pounds on the truck, you need a Class B or Class A CDL license. As soon as you go above 10,000 on the trailer, and it puts you over 26000 combined weight rating, you need a Class A CDL license.
Of course, non of this applies if you're using it entirely for personal use, and not for any business purpose. Theoretically, you could drive a tractor trailer without a CDL if you used only for personal use--but who would pay 20-60k annually to insure it?

You can technically drive a 26,000 GVWR truck with a 10,000 GVWR trailer without a CDL, just your regular class D License.
I think your mistaken.
Anything over 26,001 for commerce requires a CDL, possible restrictions or endorsements, and interstate or intrastate designation.
What is a class D license?

EDIT: New law going into effect as of this February, classes in all states will be required prior to getting a CDL.

I think your mistaken.
Anything over 26,001 for commerce requires a CDL, possible restrictions or endorsements, and interstate or intrastate designation.
What is a class D license?

EDIT: New law going into effect as of this February, classes in all states will be required prior to getting a CDL.
You are correct in that you’ll need a CDL. As long as the trailer is under 10,000 lbs you can get away with a class B.

You are correct in that you’ll need a CDL. As long as the trailer is under 10,000 lbs you can get away with a class B.
Here's what the Federal Motor Carrier Administration says:
" Question 6: A driver operates a tractor of exactly 26,000 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), towing a trailer of exactly 10,000 pounds GVWR, for a GCWR of 36,000 pounds. HM and passengers are not involved. Is it a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV)s and does the driver need a CDL?
Guidance:

No to both questions. Although the vehicle has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 36,000 pounds, it is not a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) under any part of the definition of that term in §383.5, and a CDL is not federally required. "

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/383.5

A class D license is your standard, non-CDL license that you can get at age 16 or 17 in most states. You can be at GCVWR of 36,000 with your standard, class D license, provided the truck is no heavier than 26,000 and trailer is no heavier than 10,000. In terms of upgrading your license, a class B only lets you drive a heavier truck; it's useless for letting you drive a trailer that weighs more than 10,000 pounds with the combined weight over 26,000. A Class A license is what you'd need then.

Is it a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV)s and does the driver need a CDL?
Guidance:
In this example you are correct.
Nothing in this situation states "commerce" is part of the example, and one assumes, it is a personal vehicle.
Although I'm not familiar with the term "HM" and have no idea of what this refers to, so it would be a cloudy assumption on my part, and I would have probably answered the question incorrectly.
GCVWR of 36,000, if dealing with commerce, would require a cdl.
Also note the example speaks of weight rating, not scale weight.

One of the YouTube hot shot drivers got a ticket for improper vehicle registration at a scale, and no cdl. He was a Non cdl and weighed over 26,001.
He went to court and argued he was properly registered and did not need a cdl as registered, just over weight,.
Judge dropped the improper vehicle registration and cdl violation.
The prosecutor issued him an over weight violation in court.

In this example you are correct.
Nothing in this situation states "commerce" is part of the example, and one assumes, it is a personal vehicle.
Although I'm not familiar with the term "HM" and have no idea of what this refers to, so it would be a cloudy assumption on my part, and I would have probably answered the question incorrectly.
GCVWR of 36,000, if dealing with commerce, would require a cdl.
Also note the example speaks of weight rating, not scale weight.
As far as I am aware, the FMCSA (and the USDOT which is under it) only has jurisdictional authority over vehicles used for commercial purposes, not personal vehicles. So this regulation applies to commercially used vehicles, even though they are legally classified by the FMCSA as "non-commercial" and thus no CDL is required. Tree companies routinely have drivers with standard, non-CDL licenses drive 26,0000 GVWR chip trucks and a 10,000 GVWR (or less) chipper. It's possible some DOT enforcement officials think 26,000 combined GVWR is the limit, and there definitely seems to be some confusion on this, but you can technically be at 36,000 combined weight provided your truck doesn't exceed 26,000 GVWR and trailer doesn't exceed 10,000 GVWR.
You'll still need DOT numbers anytime you're over 10,000 combined weight between truck and trailer, (nearly all trailers, even the small ones with a pickup put you in this category), and you'll need to have each driver have a DOT Medical Card, and you'll need to have a driver qualification file on each driver, regardless if you're the one driving, or your employee. But all that can be done without a CDL.

As far as I am aware, the FMCSA (and the USDOT which is under it) only has jurisdictional authority over vehicles used for commercial purposes, not personal vehicles. So this regulation applies to commercially used vehicles, even though they are legally classified by the FMCSA as "non-commercial" and thus no CDL is required. Tree companies routinely have drivers with standard, non-CDL licenses drive 26,0000 GVWR chip trucks and a 10,000 GVWR (or less) chipper. It's possible some DOT enforcement officials think 26,000 combined GVWR is the limit, and there definitely seems to be some confusion on this, but you can technically be at 36,000 combined weight provided your truck doesn't exceed 26,000 GVWR and trailer doesn't exceed 10,000 GVWR.
You'll still need DOT numbers anytime you're over 10,000 combined weight between truck and trailer, (nearly all trailers, even the small ones with a pickup put you in this category), and you'll need to have each driver have a DOT Medical Card, and you'll need to have a driver qualification file on each driver, regardless if you're the one driving, or your employee. But all that can be done without a CDL.
Afraid your mistaken on DOT numbers. I operate commercially and routinely gross 28K+ with my pickup and GN . I have no DOT numbers. As long as I remain within 150 air miles of home, return each night, and don’t cross state lines I‘m exempt from both DOT registration and log book requirements.

I needed DOT for 20,500 gvwr, plated for 24k, no trailer. Fined $250. in Michigan, 80 miles from home by DOT officer. Two additional fines for no fire extinguisher, no triangles. No log book required. Road side inspection after being detained. I applied after the fact for intrastate DOT.
I told the officer I asked when purchasing commercial plates that the Sec of State office said DOT registration was not required. The officer said Sec. of State does not know what they are talking about. I got caught in the middle for $500. total fines, plus cost of lettering on vehicle, fire extinguisher and triangle kit.

You really should have known about the fire extinguisher, flares and lettering. DOT requirements vary state to state so a blanket statement about those regs is ill advised.

Yeah, maybe so. However, I assumed the Sec. of State office would know what's is required when issuing commercial license plates.
The person I asked there, at the counter, did not know and asked a supervisor who stated I did not need DOT registration for delivering firewood to customers as an LLC.
He was obviously wrong.
I paid the price.
I'm a home owner trying to do things legal, not a commercial contractor with speed dial accountants and lawyers.
I still know little of DOT, just sharing my experience to date, and maybe somehow it will benefit someone else.
Certainly doesn't apply to everyone.

You are correct. State officials should know the law or who you should contact for the correct info.
I’m a Sole Proprietor with no legal team, just 40 years of learning ( sometimes the hard way) as I go.

Latest posts

Back