Which Engine on new Chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillweed

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm currently running a 2007 Altec 1217 with a 80+ Horse Kubota diesel, disc. Also have a 2006 WC12 widow maker with a Nissan H25 gas motor for backup. I've worked relentlessly to save for an upgrade. Pretty sure I"m going with the Vermeer 1800. Which engine should I get? Money IS an issue. I'll have to get a bank loan for most of this chipper and I hate debt. I want to get the machine that's best in the long if I'm going to make such a commitment.

Winch would be additional $5K. Don't think I need that as I have an articulating loader with rotating grapple to feed it.

My engine choices are:
165HP/300 torque gas, $70,000, new
130HP/369 torque diesel, $80,000, new
173HP/492 torque diesel, $90,000, new
2017 1800xl, used 1200 hrs., 173HP diesel, $60,000

Appreciate feedback

Attachments

• vermeer 1800xl.jpg
    vermeer 1800xl.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 40
That 173 is a beast (assuming that’s the JD?). I have that motor in my chipper. The recovery is amazing compared to the smaller engines.

I like bandit myself though. Never worked with a Vermeer too much, but they always seemed to have a lot of extra safety crap that seemed over the top.

I'm currently running a 2007 Altec 1217 with a 80+ Horse Kubota diesel, disc. Also have a 2006 WC12 widow maker with a Nissan H25 gas motor for backup. I've worked relentlessly to save for an upgrade. Pretty sure I"m going with the Vermeer 1800. Which engine should I get? Money IS an issue. I'll have to get a bank loan for most of this chipper and I hate debt. I want to get the machine that's best in the long if I'm going to make such a commitment.

Winch would be additional $5K. Don't think I need that as I have an articulating loader with rotating grapple to feed it.

My engine choices are:

Appreciate feedback

That 1200 hrs is a lot. I just checked my chipper and I've got 711 hrs after 2 1/2 years of good hard use (I just dont let guys leave it running all day chipping nothing. I hate the sound of a chipper running and nothing going through it). Two of them were carefree warranty years too, another something to think about when considering that 30k price difference. Plus the piece of mind of knowing it sees grease and new blades.

Recovery time between the smaller and larger engine is something to consider. Would have to run them both to determine whether the cost difference would be worth it. I ran a gas loaner when mine was in for service once. Power seemed ok but boy did it drink the fuel, almost double but it wasn't a chipper of that horsepower.

That 1200 hrs is a lot. I just checked my chipper and I've got 711 hrs after 2 1/2 years of good hard use (I just dont let guys leave it running all day chipping nothing. I hate the sound of a chipper running and nothing going through it). Two of them were carefree warranty years too, another something to think about when considering that 30k price difference. Plus the piece of mind of knowing it sees grease and new blades.

1200hrs?

I suppose it depends on the equipment, but most would say that's low hours for a diesel.

12,000 hours, sure, that's getting up there.

I’m just saying it’s far from new, that’s all. Not debating whether or not 1200 is a lot of hours on a Diesel engine.

I'd call it nearly new and far from old, though it all depends how it was treated.
I've seen equiptment with 5000hrs that was ready for the scrapyard...like no way this only has 5k hrs!

While another example of same model with 25000hrs that looked like it maybe had a few thousand hours.

At 30k cheaper than new, I'd certainly be looking closely at it.

To qualify my statements I have worked on chippers but rarely used them. Mostly service, some repairs.
I would be very hesitant to buy a new diesel powered anything that is outfitted to Tier 4 standards. Whole lot of money for a whole lot of crap that is far from perfected.
I personally believe older machines (non Tier 4) will enjoy a bit of a premium due to this.

What's the price?
9000hrs is getting up there, but it looks pretty clean/taken care of.

25 grand, which I think is steep for a machine with that many hours.

That said I've sandblasted and painted a couple of high hours chippers now and both still work great! Would love an 1800 if my truck was big enough to tow it safely. I'd risk buying one like that one for 10-15k

I'd call it nearly new and far from old, though it all depends how it was treated.
I've seen equiptment with 5000hrs that was ready for the scrapyard...like no way this only has 5k hrs!

While another example of same model with 25000hrs that looked like it maybe had a few thousand hours.

At 30k cheaper than new, I'd certainly be looking closely at it.
Anything used is always about how is was mistreated and how it was maintained. Mine is 7 years old, kept in the garage and looks brand new and runs perfect. Yes, I don't work it every day but the work I put through it is no different than anyone else with the same chipper. Maintenance is key on used.

My engine choices are:

Appreciate feedback

As others have mentioned, you might consider Bandit, unless they just don't have anything in your area. I have been using mine since 1997, and it is the best machine I have ever purchased. Bar none. It has been in regular use and has almost every single original component still working as good as the day I bought it new in 1997. (The 80hp John Deere engine is getting kinda tired and hard to start though.)

As to winches? That depends more on the kind of tree work you do than whatever other equipment you might have. I have often wished for a winch on mine. They probably waste a lot of time with guys that don't want to drag brush, but in the right situation, they are a life-saver. Imagine a tree cut down at the bottom of a slope. Your guys will be killing themselves cutting up pieces small enough to drag up the hill, and then losing time toting much tinier pieces than the chipper can chip. You could run out the rope and pull huge loads up that hill, and then cut it up small enough to put in the chipper. A big chipper like that 1800 can consume branches bigger than your guys can drag, so it might pay off very nicely. That winch can also be used to help keep the chipper pointed in the right direction when you are backing into a tight or muddy spot, but that is a risky thing to do as the winch isn't rated for the weight you might expose it to.

The need for a winch depends more on your specific business, the kind of trees you encounter, and what your customer base is. It would probably be of little value to someone working in an expensive neighborhood where you cannot drag the work closer to the chipper.

On a slightly different line of thought:
You said " Don't think I need that as I have an articulating loader with rotating grapple to feed it. "
I had a job so rough that I mounted a hydraulic winch onto my grapple! You may not realize how often that is needed unless you have it! It literally lets me do some jobs in 1/4th the time required if I didn't have it. I mounted it up for a job that required us to drag cut trees up a 50' slope out of a very steep river bed. We couldn't leave anything in the river bed, as it would wash downstream and cause huge problems. The slope was so severe that we could barely crawl up it with a chainsaw. Without that winch, we would have been there for months. It paid for the installation expense the very first job we used it on.

I'm pretty sure that I would rather have a winch on my grapple than on the chipper, if it was a choice of "pick just one". Just think of all the times you cannot go to where the brush/logs are, and you have your guys drag it to the machine for further & easier transport. I can even reach over a 6' tall fence, pull in a big log from 90' away, and then pick it right up into the grapple and tote it over to the truck. I have even used it to hold logs into my grapple that were too large for the grapple to fully surround and hold reliably.

And...it makes a pretty nice engine hoist, too. Just the other day, I was helping a competitor on a job, and his log splitter had a flat tire. I quickly rigged the winch line to the hydraulic cylinder, moved the wedge to a balancing point, and then carried the splitter across the yard to a safe point for pickup later. Sure! That could have been done with a chain, but at great peril to the cylinder. Adjusting the height while carrying was much easier too.

If money is tight, and you are considering a winch, I personally think that $5k would be better spent putting a winch on the top of your grapple than onto your chipper. But that is because I am one of the few folks that have ever tried it.

I haven't used any chippers that size, but my experience with Vermeer would absolutely steer me towards another brand. I'd be looking hard at Bandit and maybe Morbark personally.

If you’re doing crane work, your crane operator will thank you for having a chipper winch to help set the pics in the chipper/hold them while he swings them where they need to go.

Latest posts

Back