Which less popular 50cc ish saw to port??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I’m no expert porter but I’ve done it enough I think I do alright. I think changing the timing and adding compression is where most the gains come from. But after that it would be port shape and polishing. I shape ports for more flow, transfers I like to have them open on the intake side first and point them that way. The lowers usually get opened up some to flow more. Every saw is different. Not really one answer to this question. Some require very little grinding and others a lot.

"I think most the gains on the 520 is the muffler mod. Thats all i did to mine and its a totally different saw now."

The CS-510 and 520 are little "sleeping giants". About all they need is a very minor muffler mod and removing the limiter caps to fatten it up some.
Another little "race horse" are the closed port Husqvarna 55's, they don't even need a muffler mod. Just locate a non-Rancher 55 with a row of +++++++++'s across the bottom of the cylinder and you are in. I have two of them, and both are very high compression and strong runners. The Echo CS-510 in my line-up is equally as strong upstairs as a close port 55 but also has as stronger/flatter power curve and "grunts" better, much like the ported CS-520 in the video.

I use those three saws a LOT as I get older and prefer fast-light saws limbing and cutting tops. Matter of fact had one of the 55's out today and am never disappointed in how fast they cut.......Cliff

I never did any porting . Muffler modes not doing it louder is not more power . I did base gasket delete on 51 with meteor parts . To pull start it about need to put it on the ground to drop start cold is hard . The torque of this little saw is nice

Yup, one 'o them 'factory hotrods', they don't disappoint. Very high reving...
A bit unique in that it's a horizontally split magnesium crank case with a top bearing cap setup similar to a husky 350.
2054 is the open port version, also a pretty good runner.

Another more questionable option is the jred 535, can usually be had dirt cheap because that whole family for various reasons has a somewhat sketchy reputation.
Nicely designed closed port cylinder though that I've heard takes well to porting, be a good sleeper.

What about the jred 2250 s?

Poulan pro 335?
Easiest way to supe up a 335 would be to start out with the 365.

I have the 3500 which I believe is the same as a 365, sans chain brake. And I believe the 335 is the same saw with a smaller bore.

But I know there's a few guys in the Poulan thread that love their 2700, 2800, 3000, and 3300 saws. All the same family as the 335, 365, and 3500 I believe.
And a lightweight saw at 12 pounds in the 60cc class.

I'm still hoping to get the 10 pound clamshell 46cc 2900 for a hot rod build.

Any words on a 295 or 305? I’m kind of leaning now towards a poulan. Never owned one

What about the jred 2250 s?

I wouldn't bother putting effort into porting a clam saw but the 450/2250's respond very well to a simple muff mod/timing advance and are really pretty decent little firewood saws. They'll handle a 20" bar in hardwood without much drama...

Strato is neither here nor there for me as far as porting goes, plenty of good strato saws worthy of tweeking...

Nothing against 305 really but it's a 50cc saw on a 60cc platform, as has been said, better to just go to a 365 or better still 3750 (bigger carb).
295 are ok but clamshell, a 310 @3 cubes is the one to find in this family.
All of them are also open port...

Nothing against 305 really but it's a 50cc saw on a 60cc platform, as has been said, better to just go to a 365 or better still 3750 (bigger carb).
295 are ok but clamshell, a 310 @3 cubes is the one to find in this family.
All of them are also open port...
So open port is bad?

So open port is bad?

Not necessarily but in general closed port equivalents tend to have better power and efficiency. Obviously there are plenty of exceptions...
In my experience none of the those 60cc poulans mentioned are close to being competitive in cutting speed with many of the 60cc closed port models of other brands.

With the poulans it’s about availability. Just been naming saws I’m seeing for sale that could fit the bill and look like they cut well on YouTube. Definitely don’t want a clamshell or strato saw. Open port maybe. Also 55cc max in size. Really I’d rather be in the 45-50cc range. Sadly actual poulans rarely come up for sale in my area. I think being on the west coast plays a role in that

Well I tried to buy a poulan 3000 off eBay. Got outbid. Saw was a gamble but also pretty cheap

Back