Which less popular 50cc ish saw to port??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There’s AM cylinder/ piston kits on sleezebay for $25/$30 for husky saws. Grab a husky 350, grab the 346 Xp kit, bingo we have a winner for a affordable price.

There’s AM cylinder/ piston kits on sleezebay for $25/$30 for husky saws. Grab a husky 350, grab the 346 Xp kit, bingo we have a winner for a affordable price.

like I said before I’m not interested in a saw that is well known. Since this is for fun I’d rather pickup a saw that most consider lame or don’t consider it at all. A 346 is one of the most popular small saws. No fun in doing one of those.

Not quite 50cc but a Homelite Super XL AO

they are old, plentyful, in blue and white they look awesome, by all acounts are still practical and are cheap.

(plus i have one and would love to see how someone who knows what they are doing, does it, so i can copy :D )

I'd like a cheap ported 50cc saw also.

Think I'm going to try a clamshell 46cc Poulan 2900 on for size.

I have a Shindaiwa 491s also. Same saw as an Echo 490 except in red. But the Poulan has a funky look to it and might be a better sleeper saw. I think the 2900 is also a little bit lighter and a little bit thinner.

And I can probably sell the Shindaiwa for enough to cover the cost of the Poulan and a new 16" b&c to replace the 20 that's on it, and have a dollar or two left over.

Look up what size you want & get one of the less expensive Chinese knock-off saws. Seen quite a few online running good actually. Some may have been ported. I can't see any of them not benefiting from a port, exhaust job.
I just got one of these for ten bucks. A 45cc Blue Max 6595.

Only problem is that the chain brake lever is too close to the handlebar. It's a bit of a distraction that I don't like. So I don't think I'd be putting much time into porting it.
Might see what I can do with the muffler though.

The 350 family is very flexible for head options and porting. You can play all day with them for sure. :) oem 346xp heads are cheap and effective. ..even without port work. Lately I've been using the warhawk heads from hl supply and they are a very nice and cheap copy of oem 346xp.
Good to know. I have two 345/350 carcasses to build at some point.

Good to know. I have two 345/350 carcasses to build at some point.

I have a 350 1 owner 20 years I pulled out the base chucked a hose clamp on the intake and cut a side port in the muffler and it's a nice little saw now. But....
I wouldn't consider them cheap though because it's got husky on it people want gold for them around here.

What are the cheap 346 jugs on Ebay like?

I have a very lame 543XP if you are interested in making it run better. Definitely, not a very popular saw and a dead dawg out of the box. Dolmar 420 you don't hear much about and they are a fantastic saw but would imagine there is also some potential to be unlocked.

Let’s not turn this into a 346 and variant thread. I’m sure most of you didn’t read the majority of what’s going on in here which is why that saw keeps getting brought up. If I wanted to build a 346 etc I would just do it. All the information is already out there. For those who can read and posted good or even bad suggestions, thank you.

I like the older small shindawas. That brand in general I find kind of neat.

Let’s not turn this into a 346 and variant thread. I’m sure most of you didn’t read the majority of what’s going on in here which is why that saw keeps getting brought up. If I wanted to build a 346 etc I would just do it. All the information is already out there. For those who can read and posted good or even bad suggestions, thank you.

I like the older small shindawas. That brand in general I find kind of neat.

All good ... lemme know if I can help further.

Back